Help - 16 day old filly partially paralysed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
Our youngest baby, 16 day old Trehernes Cherokee Rose, who was born perfectly healthy and normal, suddenly started dragging a back leg the night before last, and now is dragging both hind legs. She appears to be partially paralysed. (the pic below was taken before this happened)

Cherokee.JPG

She can still walk and even run to keep up with mum, but her back legs kind of just hop along as she goes, and though she can put weight on her legs, she drags them using her front legs to move.

The vet has ruled out a break anywhere, and says it is good that she is still able to swish her tail and feels pain in her hind quarters.(objects to needles!)

In flexing her legs, the hips move well, but the stifle area in both legs is extremely stiff. He doesn't think it is stifle lock though, because he can bend her legs further than he should be able to if that were the cause.

She does not appear to be in pain at all, and is quite able to keep up with mum and nurse, so for now he has given her steroids and left me with some other medication to give her over the weekend, and will see if there is any improvement by Monday. If not he says he will talk to the Veterinary clinic at Guelph, as he is baffled also.

I just wondered if anyone has ever had anything like this in a foal, and if so, did it get better? Could it be a pinched nerve, or could one of the other horses have stepped on her? There are no marks or other apparent injuries.

We were relieved that it does not seem to be a break anywhere, but wish we knew what we are dealing with.

Any thoughts appreciated, I have to work over the weekend so if I don't respond right away, this is why.

Thanks, Rebecca

[SIZE=14pt]Here I go with my standard answer but, maybe Joint ill? Remember tess was doing the dog sitting thing and thats how she skittered around. on her haunches.[/SIZE]

Lyn

She is started on Long acting pennicillin also Lisa, so glad your boy recovered ok, hope this one does too. It is warm here right now, but not terrible, so I don't think she is overheating at all.

Christine I don't know if you might remember that we have indeed had a lot of issues surrounding selenium deficiency where we are, but the herd has all been injected with it, and they are on a mineral supplement also for this reason. The vet knows the problems we have had and did not suggest this might have anything to do with it, but I will ask him on Monday.

This filly was born very healthy and normal, and up till now has been a really strong and feisty little girl.

Beccy said:
She is started on Long acting pennicillin also Lisa, so glad your boy recovered ok, hope this one does too. It is warm here right now, but not terrible, so I don't think she is overheating at all.Christine I don't know if you might remember that we have indeed had a lot of issues surrounding selenium deficiency where we are, but the herd has all been injected with it, and they are on a mineral supplement also for this reason. The vet knows the problems we have had and did not suggest this might have anything to do with it, but I will ask him on Monday.

This filly was born very healthy and normal, and up till now has been a really strong and feisty little girl.

420044[/snapback]

No Beccy..I did not remember..but that was the first thing that jumped into my mind..I hope you find out whats wrong with her..she looks like such a sweetie!!

Joint ill never crossed my mind Lyn, as she is over two weeks old, can this happen at this age? I don't think the vet could be concerned with it being that, as he did not mention it as a possibility, and he is a strict believer in dipping the naval several times after birth. Also there are no swollen or hot joints, just very stiff stifles.

We had a young stud colt that started locking and dragging both back legs. He continued to do this for a while. I thought it was stifles and was told to wait until he was older to fix the problem.

About a month ago, I talked to a lady and told her about the problem and she said it had to do with his minerals and vitamins. I changed him to Omolene 200, and he has stopped locking and dragging his hind legs.

I hope this helps.

I would get a second opinion. It sure sounds like a stifle problem to me.

I hope you find out what's wrong. I'd be a nervous wreck.

[SIZE=14pt]Lauralee had it with her fillies and they were older too. When Tess started there was no swelling or heat in her joints either but in a week there was no bone left in that joint and we had to put her down. It was a very fast acting bacterial infection.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Hmmm, I wonder Marion??? I don't usually start the babies on Omalene till 6 - 8 weeks or so, is two weeks too young to start her?

No Lyn, my filly was 2 days old when she came down with joint ill.....and she was the only one I ever had with joint ill cause MOMMA CHEWED OFF HER CORD!!!!

Hey Bec. I don't know what could be wrong with your filly. Just wanted to say that I am sorry you are having problems. Hope your girl gets better quick.

Carol

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Sorry lauralee my mistake somehow I thought your babies were older. Chewed her cord????? was she confused she thought she was a dog???[/SIZE]

Lyn
new_shocked.gif

I have no answers, just lots of healing thoughts and prayers.

i have not started breeding, so i can't say
no.gif
... but if you need any help at all, i live in sutton (ontario) & would be happy 2 make a trip up there to help!!

i really think its almost funny tho, befor i bought my filly, i saw this one & i was going to e-mail you to enquire, but i just joy(my new filly) & i like black alot & at the time she was(now shes grey raon mix!) & so i bought her instead..hmm

small world

ps. do u have a driving cart that could be shown(if so could i boral it for 2 days for a show?)

midnight star stables said:
i have not started breeding, so i can't say
no.gif
... but if you need any help at all, i live in sutton (ontario) & would be happy 2 make a trip up there to help!! 
i really think its almost funny tho, befor i bought my filly, i saw this one & i was  going to e-mail you to enquire, but i just joy(my new filly) & i like black alot & at the time she was(now shes grey raon mix!) & so i bought her instead..hmm

small world

ps. do u have a driving cart that could be shown(if so could i boral it for 2 days for a show?)

420082[/snapback]

Thanks so much for the offer of help. Much appreciated.

Obviously we are very concerned, but the fact that she does not appear to be in any pain, or otherwise ill is keeping me calm for now. I am praying that the meds will have some effect quickly, and that she will be fine.

Sorry I don't have a cart yet, we have not had the time to start driving, but it is definitely on my list of to do's!

I have had a quick look at my horse health books, and they say that joint ill is treated with antibiotics, is there anything else that is done for this?

Wouldn't she be pretty sick with that though, or have swollen joints? I at least would not expect to see her tearing around after her mum!

I haven't said anything previous but my stallion got terribly cast in his stall one nite a couple weeks ago and had been dragging his leg. I put him on Cort Flx-HA and with a vet exam that told me he had injured his hip and back from struggling. Perhaps she got cast? My vet said with time and exercise and the meds I'm giving he should heal. Can't rule out arthritis in his later years but he is coming around. He hasn't drug (dragged?) his leg in 3 days. I hope she'll be ok. Just some food for thought.

Actually that is a real possibility. This little girl seems to have a knack for getting herself stuck. Twice in the first week she rolled and got stuck under the same gate, and we had to tie that particular gate open so it didn't happen again. Even today while the vet was still here, she rolled over and tried to get up under the gate between the yard and the front paddock, and we had to rescue her yet again. I wonder if she twisted her back at some point when we weren't here to see it, and pinched a nerve...

Sure hope your boy continues to recover!

Last edited by a moderator:
Viral infection, joint ill, damage from being cast. All real possibilities. Have you got them confined now?? I think really, with one so young , hard as it is, you have given all the correct care, you have to stand back and give nature a chance. She's young, she's healthy, she's nursing. We will all pray for a quick and complete recovery. Here is the first prayer now.

Latest posts

Back