Help - 16 day old filly partially paralysed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of suggestions above and I would repeat them. Something we have been using.....especially for stifle issues ........is a vitamin/mineral supplement.....Rejuvenaid or Foalaid. One made by Progressive and one by Buckeye. You can find the company web sites by doing a search. ........ Found the Progressive site in my favorites link. Progressive nutrition

I think in your place i would be treating for joint ill (have known of month old foals to begin showing symptoms) and would use one of the supplements listed above.

Good luck with that baby. She is a doll.

Charlotte

Been following this thread, have no suggestions, but was just wonderinf if there had been any change with her?

How is your baby this morning?

Much better I hope! I agree with the joint ill, I would be looking there. Hard to believe one that young would have stifle problems but of course anything is possible with these babies. A growth spurt could certainly be causeing the stiffle problems too or even joint aches.

I have had babies at one month go lame. It appears that way anyway but usually in the front. No temps., no nothing, just liimping. They could of course been stepped on or something and it went away on its own.

Such a mystery sometimes.

I hope she is better today.

B

Bec, I am so sorry to hear that pretty Cherokee is having a problem. I remember when Maggie had the deep muscle injury she would use her front shoulder/leg at all. They assumed by the way that progressed that she had some nerve damage, too.

Hopefully she's much better today, Bec!

Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts. (Debi now you know one of the reasons I was excusing myself for being such a *itch the last couple of days!
rolleyes.gif
)

Unfortunately Cherokee is no better today, although she still seems very healthy otherwise. She is alert, wanting to follow her dam, and still very feisty. I took the following pictures this afternoon, and I am really thinking it may indeed be the stifles, as she occasionally eases a foot forward and stands on it, as you can see in the third photo.

Cherokee1July9.JPG

Cherokee2July9.JPG

Cherokee3July9.JPG

This is so distressing, to see a seemingly otherwise healthy baby, unable to walk properly. She can really move if she wants to, nothing stops her!

Can someone tell me, if this does turn out to be stifles, is surgery necessary, or can it correct on it's own?

My first thought was some infection, such as tetanus, but since her condition is not worsening I'm guessing it isn't that at all. From your pictures it does sort of look like locking stifle. I thought a horse locked up to that extent would be in severe pain but your filly doesn't look pained?

Usually if it is locked stifle the vet can press a certain way on the stifle, pull the foot forward, & pop the stifle back into place (not that it would necessarily stay there).

I know many people say not to do surgery before the horse is 2 years old, because up to that age it can correct itself. If it were me, if the stifle could not be put back into place & it stays there, at least for a reasonable length of time, I would look at having it fixed long before the horse turns two--I would not leave a horse to drag its hind legs around for 2 years.

Some time ago a friend had this discussion with a vet about one of his foals. The vet said that if the stifle is actually locks up, so that the leg is extended backward) on a young horse, it should be treated immediately, regardless of age. Interestingly enough, my vet book (Equine Research) says pretty much the same thing. "Hitching", where the stifle almost locks but then slips free is a different matter--when the stifle locks with the leg extended backward, the ligaments get stretched, and the longer they stay that way the less likely they will hold the patella in place if/when it does get put back into place.

Beccy..been thinking about your foal all day..did the vet say anything new??

Looking at her picture now..we got her twin
smile.gif

We will keep her in our prayers..
unsure.gif

Bec's at work tonight, Christine. Maybe she'll check in when she gets home later tonight.

Bec, I surely do understand and you know you were forgiven the minute you asked! ;)

Debi

She's locked those stifles I'd bet. That is not normal though, for stifle problems, and I would lay money it is an injury. You really do not need her running around outside, she should be confined to a stall. I'm not sure there is anything a Vet can do, but you should certainly run it by him.

Still no change this morning. The vet will be here again tomorrow though. He was hoping as we were, that a couple of days and some medication might help, but it does not seem to have had any effect.

Fizz that was one of my first questions, whether she and her mum should be in a stall, and the vet said that since he could find no evidence of injury, she seemed otherwise perfectly fine - not in any discomfort, and can still move around easily, that she should be fine outside. I must admit however that I am uneasy seeing her move around. We have been through the horse health books, and depending on the cause, there is conflicting advice. Some things say the horse should be exercised, others say complete stall rest. I just wish we knew exactly what we are dealing with.

I will update again after the vet has seen her tomorrow. Thanks so much for the support everyone.

If the stifles are locked especially due to injury- which is what I am guessing- then you can do a lot of damage letting her move around. I would bring her in.

Thanks Fizz, she and mum are inside at the moment as it is extremely hot outside, I will just keep her there till we see the vet tomorrow...

I quite thought when I described the problem on the phone, that the vet would bring the equipment to X ray her when he came out (I think he has portable equipment, if not we can take her to the clinic) but he didn't. He felt certain that there was no breaks anywhere, and though they are stiff, he was able to bend both hind legs all the way up, and said if it was stifles, he should not be able to go past a certain point. He felt it is neurological, but after watching the way she moves and stands yesterday, I couldn't help thinking it is stifles also. I am hoping for more answers after tomorrow.

{{{{Bec}}}} I have nothing to add except my prayers. She's a lovely girl. I'll be watching to see what the vet says.

he was able to bend both hind legs all the way up, and said if it was stifles, he should not be able to go past a certain point.
What he is thinking of, I bet...is like doing a test for arthritic stifles...not the same thing at all. In stifle lock, once they are moved forward, and un-locked, the leg can move forward and up, just as if there was nothing wrong. I have seen this stifle-lock thing several times in draft horses, as it's pretty common with many draft breeds.

I don't think so Sue, he has dealt with a lot of horses over the years, and he must have encountered stifle lock in young ones before now. He has been great up till now, there are a couple of mares here that I am convinced would not be alive today if it were not for him, but one thing we really like about this guy, is he does not profess to be God and know everything, and will go in search of answers if he needs to. There is another vet in this area who is just the opposite - God forbid you should question anything, and a miniature is exactly the same as a large horse in all respects!

Edited to add:

I am not knocking vets by saying this, most of the ones we have used in the past have been great, but as in any profession there is always the odd one...

Last edited by a moderator:
will go in search of answers if he needs to
Yup, one of the signs of a good Vet, or "people Doctor" in my opinion.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif

My vet has called all over North America in search of answers; and has even taken my advice
smile.gif
a few times, when referring to the Miniatures. He is a God-send.

I hope you find the answer soon. I think the worst is the not knowing, and wondering if you can help make it better, or not.

Hugs

That is it exactly Sue, not knowing. She was perfect and healthy and beautiful, and then all of a sudden this happened, and waiting to find out whether it is "fixable" is the worst.

Latest posts

Back