HELMETS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Just watching one of the Youth driving events (12 and under in this case) and noticed a couple of the Youth wearing helmets, but most not. So I went to check the rulebook
default_thud.gif
and read that helmets are only required for Youth in the Under Saddle and Roadster classes. Roadster is driving and a pleasure horse can always have an accident or scare too. For the Youth, I think Helmets should be required in ALL driving classes and Under Saddle classes. All (I believe) 4-H requires this-I am sure our AMHR/ASPC/etc. care for our children just as much as our 4-H directors due.
default_whistling.gif
I think this is a change we should ask for to our BOD this year for convention. And your thoughts..............???
default_worshippy.gif
default_pray.gif

I would support that rule change 100%. I initiated a rule change a few years ago for New England Pinto to require helmets for all lead line riders (I actually don't remember the age range the rule applies to) and the first year it was in existence, it saved a youngster who wasn't even inside the ring! He was waiting to go in and there was a commotion that spooked hsi horse and he slid off and under its hoofs. His mother told me he would never have been wearing the helmet that saved him if it wasn't for that rule.

Does anyone remember Courtney King-Dye - US Olympic Dressage team in 2008?? And she didn't even qualify for the Paralympic team this year after a traumatic brain injury from a riding accident when she was not wearing a helmet. There were rule changes, and now you rarely see a dressage rider compete without a helmet.

I've had 4 cuncussions. First with no helmet and three with helmets. I would never ride without one and cannot believe that a parent would allow any child to drive without one. I believe its more dangerous than allowing your child to play football without a proper helmet. Have the parents not seen what can and does happen when there is a driving accident? Just because they are minis does not rule out the chance for accidents and injury, I dont care how well trained the horse is. Sorry i will get off my
default_1857272.gif
now.

I honestly think that kids lead by example so in my honest opinion (and it will probably be unpopular, but that is okay) adults should have to wear helmets too in ALL driving classes. So while I would say it should be mandatory for EVERYONE to wear a helmet in ALL driving classes regardless of their age group. There definently needs to be something in the rules making it mandatory for AT LEAST the 18 and under age group and maybe a mention of making it optional for the over 18 age group. I think sometimes because the animal is smaller people don't consider the fact that these small equines are still horses and just like with their larger buddies accidents can and sometimes do happen and it's better if you can say "I am so glad I wore a helmet".

Okay off MY soapbox now!
default_smile.png

At my farm, you can't ride or drive without a helmet, youth or adult! If you don't have one, I supply you with one. If you don't want to wear it then you don't get to participate. I feel that they should be worn by all who ride or drive no matter what size equine.

I agree, all youth should be wearing helmets in any classes other than in hand classes. In the "big horse" world, I dont think ive belonged to a club where that wasnt a rule. Just because they are smaller horses doesnt mean that they cant be dangerous.

Since this is so far going all the same direction; I would love to see us all contact who we need to , to have a change be made on this for at least the Youth to wear the Helmet in ALL riding and driving classes for the 2013 rule book (we know not all the adults would go for it for themselves). I know teen 4-Hers in my area who weren't too thrilled with the "style" at first-but since they all have to-well-it's no big deal now (looks-wise that is).

Latest posts

Back