Hello!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamamama

Reaction score
Hello from Oklahoma,
I'm looking into purchasing my first mini this summer. I have very limited horse experience but am eager to learn as much as possible. We have a fenced area of approximately 1 acre of Bermuda grass. Will this be enough grazing area with supplemental hay in the winter? Also, I have concerns about coyotes. We lost a baby llama this past year. Do you have any recommendations?

Hello from Oklahoma,
I'm looking into purchasing my first mini this summer. I have very limited horse experience but am eager to learn as much as possible. We have a fenced area of approximately 1 acre of Bermuda grass. Will this be enough grazing area with supplemental hay in the winter? Also, I have concerns about coyotes. We lost a baby llama this past year. Do you have any recommendations?

Welcome to the forum, I hope the members here can help you out.

I don't know what Bermuda grass is but 1 acre for a mini is pretty good even if the grass is low quality. MInis can generally get fat on air. My pastures are broken up into roughly .5 acre sections for my minis and I rotate them through. Supplement with good quality hay and you'll be fine.

As to coyotes, we have them around here a I hear them calling quite often at night. They have grabbed sheep and lambs from nearby farms. I've heard of them chasing horses but I've never heard of one being killed. That goes for minis as well.

During the winter, all my horses come in the barn at night but in the warmer weather they stay out but all have free access to the barn. I have a donkey now, not for protection, he was a rescue but its nice having him around knowing he'd probably put the run to any predators. They've never bothered my minis even without the donkey. Unless they are really, really hungry, they probably won't mess with your mini. If there were a drought or other issues I might worry more.

You didn't say whether you had other animals currently. Your mini will be very lonely without a buddy so why not get two? :)

Latest posts

Back