Hello, just found this forum and hoping for any info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharipeewee

Reaction score
Good evening I am hoping I may get any info or advise for my JoJo. I don't have much history on her, my neighbor put her in our pasture when she kept escaping his and the last time was found eating flowers at the cemetery (she a good eater). Problem is I have never had a horse and don't know much except what I read. She was very round all winter, I thought her heavy coat and she fattened up for winter. Now since beginning of May her shape has changed, she looks like her weight dropped and is soft on her sides and hard on her underbelly. Last few weeks she has developed an udder and has milk droplets. This grandma has had 2 kids and know the signs but the only time she'd had been around a stallion was when our neighbor put her in the pasture last summer and he had his other horse there also, but he is a regular sized horse and he said they won't be able to do anything. Could they have had a candlelight dinner?? I don't see the physical ability for that to happen, but if it could have is it possible for her to deliver?? I have called a vet to come out but it may take a week or so. Any advice??

Im tipping your mare my be in foal. Do you have any pics you could post ?

If she is i foal and dripping milk, she sounds very close. If the mare is a mini and the stallion is full sized, you definitely need to get a vet out. Usually when a mare is dripping milk she will foal 24-48 hours.

Anything is possible when a mare is in heat and a stallion notices and is in the same paddock.

Welcome to the forum from Australia

Thanks for the info, I may have to call a different vet. Hopefully I get these pictures uploaded correctly. 20190617_122126.jpg 20190617_115829.jpg 20190617_115327.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. Have you seen any movement around her flanks etc ? Foal movement ?

Looking at the pic side on, she looks like she has a "V" shape, meaning the foal has dropped into position and ready for delivery. If possible , could you get a pic of her udder from underneath ?

I think its best you treat your little friend as being pregnant until you have the vet out. My only other thoughts if she is not pregnant, is that she is extremely overweight. She has a cresty neck and the swelling in front of her udder could be in fact, fat deposits. I forgot to ask above , but your neighbors horse, is it a stallion or gelding ?

If you have a look on the foaling section of this forum , you will see some great info on foaling kits etc.

Please ask away any questions you may have , everyone here will be happy to answer them :)

Thank you for all of your input, I know nothing about horses, never been around them but he didn't want her back and I just fell for her. Yes she was in the pasture for about 2 months with a stallion last July/August. She did not have an udder at all until late last month, so until the vet comes I'll take it as she's preggo but I will look at other posts on here. Thank you again.

Welcome to the forum from Texas! I do agree with all that has been said. You should definitely get a vet out there to check. Especially if there is any chance that the stallion is bigger than her.

The same, outfully vet comes this week. I'm in a very rural area, and only one vet does farm calls.

Well, no vet. He called and I gave him info about JoJo and he said he would think she is pregnant but for him to palpate for a foal would be a risk that he really don't like to take. He said on mini's its easier to tear the rectum while feeling for a foal. Which would mean a major bleed. So he said just wait and see if she goes into labor and if she does labor for more than an hr to call him. He was very helpful with giving me all kinds of information and was encouraging letting me know if she was bred with a regular stallion that mini's can regulate growth of their baby. So fingers crossed I will be on watch for the next month and if she's not with baby, she and I will have a long talk about her diet!

What a cute mini and welcome to the world of mini horses.
Nutrition will be important if she is in foal but regardless as you indicated, she will need a serious diet talk and as Ryan stated she's seriously overweight. ;)

Since you are new to minis you probably don't know that obesity can lead to life-threatening situations. Most of our little friends can't be on much grass and need serious monitoring of diet. Here is a link to some information that will get you started.

https://www.equine.umn.edu/research...ry/current-projects/equine-metabolic-syndrome

Here is an article on basic feeding:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/resources/pdfs/feeding_the_miniature_horse_(e3068).pdf

I have a mini gelding that is insulin resistant and leptin resistant. He can only be on a bare paddock and can eat no fresh, green things at all. After a few years of this he now needs his hay soaked as well.

Your little mare may not have EMS but it's super-important to keep minis at a healthy weight. Testing can be done to determine if a horse is in the EMS range. I have a mini mare that tested normal and a mini mule who isn't affected either.

Your farrier can also look for stretching of the laminae and bruising of the hoof when he/she trims. Horses need their hooves trimmed every six to eight weeks. :)

Awesome, thank you for the links. I know nothing about horses or donkeys but have gotten my little JoJo and 2 donkeys somehow . I'm going to have to build a separate area if JoJo is not with foal because all I have is open pasture with an area we set up that's covered without gates so the can stay covered if it storms. It's work but they do make it worth it. I do have a question tho, I have read that fescue grass is not good for them, but I really can't tell if we have that in the pasture or not. Since we are just now thinking she may be pregnant and due anytime now is that going to be a problem? I talked with the only vet that will come out in out area, and he won't ultrasound or palpate mini's, for fear of any tears that could happen. I explained her looks and being in the pasture with a stallion last year. He said it is a wait and see situation, but very helpful with loads of info. So I'll wait and see I guess.

I don't have any experience with fescue as I don't have any on my place.

Your donkey pals are susceptible to insulin resistance and metabolic issues as well. You definitely want to watch their weight along with your mini mare. Too much grass can be fatal for all our small friends.

Fescue isn’t good for preg mares . If u google it , there should be some images . There are many vets that cannot palpate and to be honest unless it’s an emergency with delivery , I wouldn’t at this stage . What I would do is try and build a little area for her as soon as u can , so you can get her off the grass 24/7. The fatter the mare , the harder it is for her to deliver . I know it’s a lot to take in and just wanted to let you know your doing great

What I would also recommend is looking at the pinned threads in the foaling section of this forum , there’s some really helpful info on there .

Back