Hello from Scotland...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin100

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My name is Ian and I live in South West Scotland. It's been many years since I've ridden and even then it was just hacking about the local country lanes and sandy beaches, I was never into horsey sports. I also though small horses and ponies had bags of personality and were quite a handful, but they've kind of grown on me over the years. I've never owned my own horse or pony, but have worked with them in the past.

Welcome to the LB forum, Ian. This is a great place to immerse yourself in the world of miniature horses and small ponies. Just be warned, tiny horses are incredibly addicting. As I always say, they're not miniatures, they're concentrates!

I've long been fascinated with Scotland, so perhaps you could tell us about your corner of the world.

Hello!

I hope you like it here. I am fairly new to the forum and everyone has been very helpful when I have had questions.

Do you think you might acquire a mini? I downsized from large ponies to small ponies over the years and then last summer bought my first mini. Of course one was not enough, so two weeks ago we added another to the barn.

Are minis popular in Scotland?

Hello and welcome from Maryland. My brother in law is also named Ian.
Ian is the Scot's Gaelic for John, but to be honest the proper Gaelic spelling would be Iain. I can't speak Gaelic at all and it's more concentrated up in the Highlands and Islands. I'm a humble lowlander. ;)

Welcome to the LB forum, Ian. This is a great place to immerse yourself in the world of miniature horses and small ponies. Just be warned, tiny horses are incredibly addicting. As I always say, they're not miniatures, they're concentrates!

I've long been fascinated with Scotland, so perhaps you could tell us about your corner of the world.
I'm finding that with small ponies/miniatures... ;) Not a lot to tell about where I live, it's a semi rural area with some large towns. Mind you, the rural areas are getting smaller and the towns are getting bigger.
default_sad.png
I live in a large town called Irvine.

Hello!

I hope you like it here. I am fairly new to the forum and everyone has been very helpful when I have had questions.

Do you think you might acquire a mini? I downsized from large ponies to small ponies over the years and then last summer bought my first mini. Of course one was not enough, so two weeks ago we added another to the barn.

Are minis popular in Scotland?
I would love to buy a mini purely as a pet. I've worked with horses in the past and did quite a bit of voluntary work in the past working with disable people learning to ride horses (Riding for the Disabled Association). I'm doing my research and have some limited practical experience, but am not in a rush to go out and buy a mini at this stage. I plan to weigh up the pros and cons carefully first. There are too many people buying ponies over here, then abandoning them because they've no idea what they've got in to. I don't want to be one of them, I want to be responsible.

Minis are very popular in this part of Scotland, so are coloured or painted ponies/horses (piebald and skewbald, I think). Painted horses over here are often called 'gypsy horses' because of their close association with the travelling community.

I forgot to add that coloured cobs seem to be the most popular type ponies around here, I believe.

I've worked with New Forest ponies many years ago in a livery yard down in Southern England and also volunteered on-and-off with the Riding for the Disabled Association over here.

I bet you really enjoyed your work with the Riding for the Disabled Association and have many good memories!

New Forest ponies are certainly handsome! I've only seen them in photographs but they seem to come in assorted sizes and colors..........something for everyone! They look like a pony that can fill a wide variety of jobs........riding, driving, pleasure, work. Would you find them comparable to the Welsh Pony?

To be honest, it was so long ago (26 years), I've forgotten.
default_rolleyes.gif

I've made contact with a local horse dealer who likes Shetlands herself, so hopefully I may have something coming my way by October. This is when she goes to the sales down in England. I'm also hoping she'll allow me to keep the pony on her farm, so that I can keep it grazing there. It's not too far away from where I live, just a short bicycle ride away. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back