Hello from Oklahoma!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugaryCharm

Reaction score
Hello from Northeast Oklahoma!
default_yes.gif
I have been lurking the forums for the last month or so as I have been searching for a mini mare to be a companion for my lonely APHA/PtHA mare "Sugar." I feel as if I have already learned a lot about minis in that time but I still have so many questions! Getting another full-size horse was not really an option for my husband and I, as our truck will not pull two "big" horses plus gear, feed, etc--at least not comfortably--and we are located on less than 3 acres. My mom recommended I get a pair of goats as company for my mare, so we got 2 nannies in October. As it turned out, Sugar wanted nothing to do with the goats and they wanted nothing to do with her either, so we found the goats a new home a few months ago and started searching for a miniature horse. I wanted something registered in order to maintain the options that registration provides, "just in case." Well...we found her!

This is Charm. She is a 5-year-old 35" AMHR mare, Roundys Banners Onyx Star. Still waiting on her papers as the girl I bought her from had only had her a few months and was waiting for the transfer into her name to come back from the registry. (Anyone know how long that usually takes?)

Charm 130123 (5).JPGCharm 130123 (2).JPG

As I mentioned in another post, Charm's turnout time (I'm currently stalling her overnight) is restricted to our yard as I fear our pasture has fescue. I will be starting foal watch sometime "soon," as Charm was exposed to a pinto mini stallion for a substantial length of time (all I know is that she was pasture-bred and that they removed the stallion sometime in April)--the foal will be grade. Hoping for a healthy filly
default_pray.gif
as I am a little concerned about Charm's prior care--the girl I bought her from wormed her with Quest (!!!) and gave her a full round of shots (EEE/WEE, flu, rhino, tetanus, WNV) in September but no rhino boosters since then. (Will be asking the vet, but would like your opinions whether I should booster her with Pneumabort now (late) even though she missed the 7-month booster?) Charm was covered in bot eggs when I picked her up; I'm still trying to get rid of them all! The girl I bought her from was feeding her prairie hay only, so I am slowly introducing Purina Strategy with Mega Cell 1x/day for her vitamin/mineral needs and a smidge of alfalfa 2x/day with a main ration of free-choice bermuda hay. She has free choice white salt and red salt both in the stall and in her "pasture." (Does this sound like an OK feeding regimen for her?) I grew up around big horses but it has been a few years since we have foaled a mare out.

Thanks for reading. I'm excited to join this community as everyone on here seems so wonderful!

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania.
default_488.gif
As far as the paperwork goes, I have found AMHR to be fairly fast at getting those done. The girl you bought the mare from can call and check on the status of the paperwork. You will find that many miniature breeders do not give the rhino shot but regarding whether or not to give the rhino late, I would consult with my vet.

Welcome from the beautiful high deserts in sunny Southern California!

Liz N.

Hi Liz! My mom is from the Riverside area. I really like it out there except for the traffic--I would be "skeered" to take a trailer anywhere in that traffic, let alone somewhere like the Cajon Pass!

Congratulations on your new mare. I love bays! Sounds like you are well informed and she is in good hands. The only recomendation I would make is to contact Edye Lucas for dental work. She is incredible. Even though she is based in OK, she travels all over the United States. She is board certified.

http://www.okequinedentistry.com/

I am in OK also, but about as far away geographically as I can get and still be in the same state! Good luck with foaling. Do you have any idea if she has had a previous foal?

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are on the right track with your new mare. I wouldn't worry about the pnuemobort shot, as I don't know of anyone that actually gives it. But check with your vet to be sure.

Marsha I think I may have you beat on being as far away as you can get. LOL

I live near Eldorado, OK, not too far from Marsha actually.

Welcome from CT and congrats on your cute mini!! Before giving a Pneumabort shot I would do a Wee Foal urine test to see if she is really pregnant or not (see another current thread for info). We DO give the Pneumabort shots as we strongly suspect that most of our fetal and foal losses were from herpes/rhino before we gave the shots.

Marsha and Julie, I grew up around Altus and I still make regular trips back, so I'm pretty familiar with the area!
default_yes.gif

Marsha, funny you should mention Edye Lucas--I just ran across her site a week or two ago while I was looking into dental work for my "big," Sugar. She has been floated by the vet annually but is the hardest keeper I've ever had (and she's only 4) and she does some odd things when she chews sometimes. I had been wondering if an equine dentist might find something in there that the vet didn't. I think I will try to get on Edye's schedule this summer so she can look at both my girls. If you tell your vet you're having the dentist out will they give you the tranq for the procedure? Like I said, I've always had teeth done at the vet before, so not sure how that works.

Charm is a maiden mare. Maiden mare + no breeding dates + occasional travel for work = anxiety!
default_thud.gif

My equine dentist will only use tranquilizers with the vet in attendance. Our horses don't need to be tranquilized for "routine" floating. If we find we need to have any wolf teeth removed (so far we haven't), he will request we coordinate with the vet so she can be here at the same time. Other professionals will vary though.

Welcome from Maryland!

Welcome from SW Missouri! This is a great forum to find out anything you need to know about miniatures. If you haven't already, you might want to join the Foaling/Marestare Forum. Lots of helpful folks there too!
default_yes.gif

Marsha and Julie, I grew up around Altus and I still make regular trips back, so I'm pretty familiar with the area!
default_yes.gif

Marsha, funny you should mention Edye Lucas--I just ran across her site a week or two ago while I was looking into dental work for my "big," Sugar. She has been floated by the vet annually but is the hardest keeper I've ever had (and she's only 4) and she does some odd things when she chews sometimes. I had been wondering if an equine dentist might find something in there that the vet didn't. I think I will try to get on Edye's schedule this summer so she can look at both my girls. If you tell your vet you're having the dentist out will they give you the tranq for the procedure? Like I said, I've always had teeth done at the vet before, so not sure how that works.

Charm is a maiden mare. Maiden mare + no breeding dates + occasional travel for work = anxiety!
default_thud.gif
Edye does her own sedation. I called my vet the first time she came to Hobart and he actually gave me the sedation doses for my two horses for her to use. He did not have time to attend, and when he learned she was Board Certified he had no problem. I really don't think your vet will care. And besides, our first interest is our horse's health and there is NO comparison with what an equine dentist can do compared to a vet. I've had her out 3 times since and do not bother to call the vet anymore. She is a pro. She now has a vet tech who works with her; the tech does sheaths. We even use the County Fairgrounds barn. That would be one of my top priorities with a new horse. Tell your vet she is board certified by the Veterinary Board in OK, and he will be fine with that. If you do not feel your horse needs sedation, then she is fine with that. On the down side, she is not cheap. I think it is $120 now. Well worth a once a year investment!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

I'm in OK too. Between OKC and Lawton.

Latest posts

Back