Hello from Massachusetts!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I’m very excited to join this forum. I thought I’d give a little information about my minis!
Starlight- she’s estimated to be 5 years old, she was an Amish pony rescued from the kill pen. She has had two foals and is being weaned from the most recent one now.
Hillary- about 14 years old. She is supposed to be a foster mini but I think we are going to adopt her! She came to me for some fat camp as she is about 32-33” and weighed about 500lbs.!! She had lost 35lbs. since I’ve had her(a little more than 2 months)
Rocket- He is an 8 month old colt. Son of starlight. He was born at a rescue. Currently being weaned and working on some halter manners!
I hope I’m doing this right! Thank you for creating an awesome community!

Greetings. I’m pretty new here and loving it. The members are so nice. I’m just someone that wants the minis, but I’m learning for when I get one.

And since I’m new at this, I ask everyone for photos of their horses.

Hi Huckleberry, welcome to the forum. We are almost neighbors, I live in New Hampshire.
Good work on Hilary's diet! My minis a both on diets. One has lost a little and is looking good, the other looks as if he has lost a bit but tapes the same as he did last Fall. I'm hoping it is winter fur that is taking up some of the measuring tape.

Hi Huckleberry, welcome to the forum. We are almost neighbors, I live in New Hampshire.
Good work on Hilary's diet! My minis a both on diets. One has lost a little and is looking good, the other looks as if he has lost a bit but tapes the same as he did last Fall. I'm hoping it is winter fur that is taking up some of the measuring tape.
Thank you! The winter fur definitely adds to the tape, I can’t wait for spring when they all shed out!

I LOVE Rocket and Starlight in that top photo of the bunch. They look so good.

When they shed, are they like dogs or cats that lose an undercoat, and have to be brushed a lot?
With my minis and ponies I’ve had in the past it seems similar to dogs and cats but just a lot more fur! It seems never ending and the more you brush it the more comes off!

Guess that must be where they had horse hair in old sofa cushions and the like. Or sold it for horsehair braid that looks nothing like horsehair to me. My grandmother use to sew a lot, so I heard the term from her.

Do most minis like being brushed to have the undercoat taken out when it starts releasing?

Mine enjoy it. It's like getting a massage for them and casting off that winter clothing. I usually see some of their hair woven into the new spring bird nests and that always makes me smile.

Guess that must be where they had horse hair in old sofa cushions and the like. Or sold it for horsehair braid that looks nothing like horsehair to me. My grandmother use to sew a lot, so I heard the term from her.

Do most minis like being brushed to have the undercoat taken out when it starts releasing?
My ponies LOVE to be groomed especially when they are shedding and a little itchier than normal!

Interesting about them shedding so much. I bet a good wire brush would feel good to them, just like someone scratching our back when we have an itch.

Latest posts

Back