Hello from Kansas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danettedm

Reaction score
My sister and I are working with an untrained recently gelded 3 year old mini, Gus. He was given to her by a neighbor who brought Gus home (as a stallion) and very quickly realized that he couldn't handle him and his kids could be hurt. So,lucky for Gus, my sister and I have a lifetime of horse experience! We are trying to get him to learn ground manners and hope to eventually drive him. He is pushy and nippy, but he has a lot of spunk. I'm 65 now and done with riding, so Gus is a great project! He has finally been accepted by my sister's two Haflingers.
Nice to meet everyone, and hopefully will post pics and videos soon.

Gus is continuing to be a challenge. It's one step forward, two back. We're working on basic ground manners: standing still while being groomed, being touched all over, lifting his feet. He will longe and lead okay, but he gets very disrespectful (threatening to bite or turning his butt to kick) if he doesn't like something.

Hello from Kansas as well! What area are you from? Gus is adorable! I have my own little trouble-maker here.:rolleyes: His name is Buddy, and he is a palomino stallion. He is hopefully going to be my daddy horse. He’s gotten much better since I first got him, but he occasionally still nibbles, and he’s pretty pushy. I hope you will be able to form a bond with Gus, though, and that training will go well for you!

Hello from Kansas as well! What area are you from? Gus is adorable! I have my own little trouble-maker here.:rolleyes: His name is Buddy, and he is a palomino stallion. He is hopefully going to be my daddy horse. He’s gotten much better since I first got him, but he occasionally still nibbles, and he’s pretty pushy. I hope you will be able to form a bond with Gus, though, and that training will go well for you!
Buddy is so cute! We are in Lawrence. My sister has a place right outside of town!

It would be so fun to visit w you. Ft Scott is just a couple of hours!
Gus is gradually progressing. We are working on ground manners. He still threatens to nip when asked to do something he doesn't like. He gets corrected, and seems to understand what that means.
He is very spunky, and I think he will make a great cart pony.

It would be so fun to visit w you. Ft Scott is just a couple of hours!
Gus is gradually progressing. We are working on ground manners. He still threatens to nip when asked to do something he doesn't like. He gets corrected, and seems to understand what that means.
He is very spunky, and I think he will make a great cart pony.
Yes, that would be fun! I would appreciate any advice you have for Buddy, considering you have had much more experience than I have. I actually also have a mare pony now who was extremely skiddish when I first got her. I have been using the Downunder Horsemanship method with Clinton Anderson (I don’t know if you’ve heard of him), and it has taken me a little over a week of serious training and, though she’s not out of the woods yet, she has made some incredible progress in my opinion! It sounds like Gus is doing good and will continue to flourish in your care and I hope that you will be able to train him to a cart!

Latest posts

Back