Hello from Charlotte, NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helping.hoof.it

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Kayden, and my mini's name is November Has Come (call name; Nova). Nova is a 32", bay mare, who I got a year and a bit ago to train as a mobility assistance Service Animal (service animal as defined by the American's with Disabilities Act). So, most of Nova's work is done supporting me in my day-to-day activities, which of course means accompanying me wherever I go. In our free time, we've been working on driving from a wheelchair that I've adapted similarly to a cart.
I had a lot of horse experience prior to getting Nova, growing up with horses, and working most of my teen years as a stable hand in exchange for lessons in riding and training- Until I got 'sick', and it became too dangerous for me to continue being around the stables.
I'd never personally owned a horse before Nova, and hadn't worked very closely with too many minis, but it's been so rewarding to get back the horsey part of my life, even if it was because I'd only gotten sicker (When I got her, I was losing my balance while walking, occasionally passing out, and generally experiencing a lot of issues, like falling frequently). Since getting her, and her learning to assist me with balance and other issues, we've built up to the point that I've mostly been able to leave my wheelchair behind, and can even walk short distances safely without assistance on better days.

Attachments

• 1618593699691.jpg
    1618593699691.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 11
Welcome :) Congratulations on you doing better with your health. Mini horses can be a like a wonder drug🤣 There are more members here who have a service mini. Your picture is so awesome.

Reactions: Taz
Welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing with us your inspiring story. In the photo, is Nova having a close watch?

Welcome! Nova sounds like a superstar! I'm very interested in service animal training. Recently we took our mini mare into the local continuing care facility to visit the residents. She was so good about it. I'm going to pursue having her certified as a therapy animal. Thank you for sharing your story, it's wonderful to hear what can be accomplished by leaning a little on a little support <3

Latest posts

Back