Hello from Australia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly

Reaction score
Hi just thought i would post and introduce myself.
Im molly and i live in victoria, Australia.
Im new to owning and showing miniatures as previously Ive had thoroughbreds and thought i would finally try my dream at showing minis.
I look forward to chatting and getting advice when needed.
Regards Molly

Hi Molly! You will Love working with miniatures! It's so rewarding! Good luck on this adventure!

HI Molly. Do you have photos of any of your minis that you could share? Australia is one of the places I've always wanted to visit.

My beautiful 15 month old burnt buckskin filly, HP just a doll (doll)
At her 3rd show
My other beautiful 2 yr old bay tobiano filly HP Gypsy
They are full sisters
I also have a palomino shetland mare who is currently off being broken to harness

Attachments

• 20190224_163013.jpg
    20190224_163013.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190224_163429.jpg
    20190224_163429.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi!!! So as you know Im new to miniatures abd showing, I've had my girls home since January (there breeder showed them for me last year) and they have massive hay bellies and I am going around in circles trying to work out what to feed them..and what work they should be getting... any help from you fellow aussies?

Ive kept them on what they were on when i got them home
They share a bucket am/pm
1 cup mircobeet
1 cup copra
1 large dipper of Lucerne chaff
30 ml Cen oil
Tsp of hoof rescue se
1 tbsp of salt
Slow feeder net of 2 biscuits of wheaten hay (only hay i could source at the time as we live in birchip) will be changung to lucerne/rye mix once this load of hay is gone
I dont want to lunge the baby as i feel its to much strain so she gets walked/trotted up my driveway daily (1km) and i lunge and always walk and trot the older 1 daily giving them 1 or 2 days off a week
They are also turned out on 200 acres of left over stubble from a failed crop atm which they dont much go out on mainly stay in our littler paddock by choice

They are certainly well fed :)

Your conditions would be much drier than me here on the Mornington Peninsula. Mine pretty much stay on dry lots throughout spring and early summer. I have one laminitic pony.

Mine are all on meadow hay throughout the year, Lucerne hay is added to the meadow hay throughout winter & I use Hygain "Zero" and wheaten chaff in winter too. They also have access to a mineral block and hay is pretty much "all you can eat" when its freezing in winter and nothing is growing in the paddocks. I use phsylium husk each month to remove sand from the gut also.

As you can see, my feed is pretty basic. I learnt the hard way when one of my little ones foundered really bad.

You seem to be giving them plenty of exercise, so Id be looking at reducing some of the hard feed. Do they really need it ? :)

I will be dropping the copra once it's all gone, slowly dropping the amount as it's nearly gone now. I just want the show quality coat and shine, looked into hygain zero and may replace the copra with that, our paddocks are sandy dry as a bone so I do a sand flush monthly as well.
Fingers crossed changing hay can help the bellies and will drop the morning feed I think at this stage and see how we go heading into winter.
Is introducing trotting poles to the 2yr old to much strain?

Its always better to be carrying a little weight extra going into winter. If your after a great shine , If your little ones will eat it- try pumpkin!! Its much lower in sugar, mine love it :)

You will get a lot of answers and different opinions regarding 2yos and training. I dont show and my 2yo experience is mainly with racehorses. We very rarely did much with them as 2yos as they are still developing. With so many growth spurts as a 2yo & 3yo it can often be bad to put too much pressure on their knees as it can damage the cartilage really easy. They both sound like they are getting heaps of exercise , so Id look into reducing feed a little ...

Latest posts

Back