Hello from a new Mini-Mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 45739

Reaction score
First: My thanks to the admins for approving my registration.

Second: Happy Thanksgiving to all members who are in Canada!

I'm the new "mom" to a sweet pair of Miniature mares, Starling and Kestrel (silver dapple and appy in my profile image), who are "sort of rescues" as their previous humans suddenly found themselves with major life changes. I say "sort of", as so many rescues come with health or emotional problems, and I'm very fortunate in that my girls are healthy, stable and so very sweet. They even have been used as therapy horses in the past. As I have been through some very severe health situations in the past few years, from which I am still recovering, to say that this is a "perfect match" is a huge understatement!

Though Star and Kes are the first horses I've ever owned myself, much of my youth and young adult life was spent caring for the horses of others, so I have plenty of experience in horse care. I now am finding the need to downsize all of that experience. ::grins::

I'm learning of the many similarities and differences in Mini care, feeding, etc, and enjoying the ride as I attempt to take the very best care of my girls. I look forward to reading the posts of people with years of Mini experience, picking your brains, clarifying uncertainties, and simply sharing your love of these wonderful little horses.

Happy to get to know you all,

--Gayze (aka Gayle)

Welcome from Wales in the UK - sounds as though you have found two perfect girls for yourself! Everyone here is very friendly and helpful so if you have any questions or problems just shout. Love to see some close up pics of your ladies.
default_yes.gif

Welcome from Michigan. I no longer have minis but still frequent the back porch, Many great people here!

Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone.

AnnaC, Wales is one place I've always wanted to visit. Such beautiful country!

Here is a larger photo of the girls. They (especially Star) arrived :):ahem:
default_smile.png
) well-fed. We're gently working on that.

I'll also be searching the forum for helpful threads on keeping Minis from becoming maxis.

2-Star-Kes9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Gayle, and welcome from Virginia
default_smile.png

I got my first horse (an Arabian x QH gelding) when I was a grown up, but I had wanted a horse all my life. It was at least a couple of years before I didn't want to pinch myself anytime I thought or said "my horse". They change your life in ways you'd never suspect if you never owned a horse. I think having your first horse as an adult only makes you appreciate having a horse even more.

I had my first big horse for 12 years until he had to be put down in his late 20's and still have a morgan cross bred gelding (since 1998). I did not see a miniature in person until I had had the big horses. We moved and started boarding our big guys near where we live now in 1998, and the owner of the boarding stable had some minis.

Long story short, I went from thinking they were cute, to handling them a little, to driving one. We got our first mini a few months after I drove a mini. I just thought it would be nice to have a horse at home to play with and take care of. I never would I enjoy a MINI as much as my riding horses... It doesn't take long after having a mini to be HOOKED! They're so much fun and super smart and personable. My favorite breed in nearly no time flat!

You're in for a lot of fun with your new little ladies! Horses give back ten fold and usually also bring new people friendships into your life.

Looking forward to updates about how much you're enjoying your horses! I think you're in for a lot of reasons to smile
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, Jill, for the lovely welcome and for sharing your story. That "first horse as a grown up" is something we definitely have in common. In fact I'm way more than grown up, looking down the throat of six decades! LOL

Though they've only been home with me for just over a week, I can definitely already relate to those many reasons to smile. I, too, will be pinching myself for a while. I just stare at them for hours on end, hoping I don't wake up from the dream!

I was that horse-crazy kid who actually begged other people to let me clean their stalls just so I could be around horses. Now I get to muck my own stalls! Wooo hooooo!

Welcome from British Columbia. I hope you have as much fun with your minis as I have had with mine. I came to minis after many years of saddle horses and it didn't take me long to decide that I could have more fun with the littles than I was having with my big guys so I haven't owned a full sized horse in 6 or 7 years now. Once I started driving the saddles just collected dust. Your 2 are lovely and there is nothing wrong with being a bit...fluffy... as we head into winter
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

HI! Welcome to LB from Kentucky
default_saludando.gif
I love your girls! They look like my pair! As far as keeping them from becoming "maxis" If you have pasture, a grazing muzzle works, for me. You can leave them out longer, otherwise limiting pasture time and weighing their hay/feed works. I'd start in the spring tho, a little fluff is good going into winter.

usb.JPG

Welcome, welcome! You'll find all the info you need here provided by great people. Lots of different opinions and ways to care for your minis so you can see what works for everyone and then find what works for you and your girls. They are beautiful BTW!

Welcome from British Columbia. I hope you have as much fun with your minis as I have had with mine. I came to minis after many years of saddle horses and it didn't take me long to decide that I could have more fun with the littles than I was having with my big guys so I haven't owned a full sized horse in 6 or 7 years now. Once I started driving the saddles just collected dust. Your 2 are lovely and there is nothing wrong with being a bit...fluffy... as we head into winter
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
love my riding horse, Comic, but after he passes away I think it's minis only for me. I too have found a love for driving. I enjoy riding but I LOVE driving.

I'm so touched by your lovely welcomes! Thank you! And Starling and Kestrel say "Thank you", too!

Thanks, also, for the thoughts on my "a bit fluffy" girls. :) I was looking into the grazing muzzles for spring, and am glad to see them recommended here as well. I've also got a scale on order that I can hang in the barn and weigh their hay more accurately.

I'm enjoying them so much and know I will enjoy them even more in the future. Both girls are trained to drive, and a dear friend has a pony cart and harness "in storage" on his farm. He's planning to dig it out, do whatever repairs and adjustments are needed, and teach me the proper way to drive (he has decades of experience). I'm looking forward to that!

Candycar, your minis are adorable!

Ah, a fellow New Yorker! :) You're just "a ways west" of me (quite a ways, but still). :) Thank you!

Welcome from Pennsylvania! Be prepared you probably won't stop at just two minis hehe. Enjoy the amazingness of being a miniature horse owner. They are amazing little creatures who bring much happiness. Good luck with them!!

Congrats!
default_smile.png
and welcome welcome welcome, there are many informative articles on this forum. Nice to meet you
default_smile.png

Thank you again, all. The girls will have been home with me for two weeks tomorrow, and I still feel like I'm living a wonderful dream. :)

Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone.

AnnaC, Wales is one place I've always wanted to visit. Such beautiful country!

Here is a larger photo of the girls. They (especially Star) arrived :):ahem:
default_smile.png
) well-fed. We're gently working on that.

I'll also be searching the forum for helpful threads on keeping Minis from becoming maxis.

2-Star-Kes9.jpg

My husband saw this photo... He said that they're saying... "Let me out of jail; we promise we won't eat all the treats!! We won't be bad; we're not criminals; we were caught hoof-handed."

I say they're very pretty; lovely manes.

They are mischievous enough that I wouldn't be surprised if they have jail experience in their pasts. ;-)

More fun for me, though, yes?

welcome from Kentucky. i know where you are at, so resist the temptation to buy more. handling 2 may be enough for you until you get on your feet and are all well. just a piece of advice from someone who has been there., i know you will have fun with your girls. happy for you.

Latest posts

Back