Hello Everybody!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServiceMini

Reaction score
Hello! :) I am Kricket, and I will be bringing home a young filly soon. I am planning on training her as a service animal, as only dogs and miniature horses are allowed to be service animals in the US on a federal level. :) I have a service dog already, but am giving myself four years with him to train her. We just met today, and she exceeded my expectations! I still haven't named her yet. She's projected to be 28 inches when fully grown. :) I am hoping to train her to pull a cart, possibly do therapy visits, and to let the 4H club practice handling her.

20210529_101446.jpg 20210529_101457.jpg 20210529_105319.jpg

So far today we worked on pressure/release, just understanding that moving into pressure would make standing on the lead more comfortable. She understood pretty quickly. :) We also worked on her hooves being picked up/trimmed, being touched all over calmly, and just bonding mostly. She loves having her neck and chest rubbed, she gets the little wriggly lip and tries nuzzling into me. :)

Strawberry shortcake does suit her colours! I'm atually leaning towards Sodapop (My service dog is named Ponyboy, from the outsiders :) ) or Tinkerbell, Tink for short. Because she runs like a tiny arabian, she's almost floating as she moves lol, her breeder came up with it.

Strawberry shortcake does suit her colours! I'm atually leaning towards Sodapop (My service dog is named Ponyboy, from the outsiders :) ) or Tinkerbell, Tink for short. Because she runs like a tiny arabian, she's almost floating as she moves lol, her breeder came up with it.
I absolutely love The Outsiders! I named one of my chickens gold because of the quote from Johnny “Stay Gold Ponyboy.” So of course sodapop is an adorable name but so is Tink and strawberry shortcake 🙂

I absolutely love The Outsiders! I named one of my chickens gold because of the quote from Johnny “Stay Gold Ponyboy.” So of course sodapop is an adorable name but so is Tink and strawberry shortcake 🙂

That's a beautiful name! :) I think i've decided on Sodapop, but i'll need to wait until she's ready to come home to be entirely sure.

Sodapop is home! She is a total sweetheart, aloof yet friendly. She isn't keen on being rubbed and pet (she tolerates it, but doesn't seek it out) but loves to be around people, and she is fearless. Cars, sawing through metal, dogs, cats, new sights and sounds, she takes everything in stride. Today I gave her a bath, and she acted as if she's had dozens. When I shaved her, she laid down and napped during it. I've never met a horse that is so mellow, and lazy. Getting her to run is hard, but when she does, she floats.

1631414383930.png

Potty training so far has been a breeze- she already knows to pee outside or in her litter box. Pooping is taking longer, but she's getting there.

She already picked up on one of her tasks- scratching interruption(I don't realize when i start scratching, and scratch untill I bleed). At first she'll nose at me, then she'll scratch. She picked it up from watching my service dog do it so often.
View attachment 20210811_103849.mp4

Latest posts

Back