Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Samples

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Brittany. I am new to the forum. I recently adopted a wonderful miniature horse his nickname is Little Man. He is just under 8 months old. I am having a few issues though. In the past I had a nice quarter horse that I purchased green broke and trained him from there, but, with this little guy, I have no idea as to where to start. I have been working with him daily just small things like leading with a halter and allowing me to touch him down his legs etc. He has done very well thus far. He doesn't bite he loves being petted and trots to you when you when you enter his paddock. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me and also wondering if there are any good books on mini training. I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with him, so, I just want to do some general training.

Also, I have his papers to register him, but, I have no idea how to do that! The instructions are not on the back like the papers say that the should be. The papers are for the American Miniature Horse registry. How do you take the pictures? Can I fax them or do they have to be mailed?

If I wanted to show him are there any particular things I should be doing now?

He is rather hairy and someone shaved his neck before I got him. Why would they do that?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Welcome!!
default_smile.png

At only 8 months old, I think what you are already doing in his training is just fine
default_smile.png
Getting used to all that and leading and standing etc is perfect.

I'm not sure exactly what you have as far as his papers. Is it a copy? Or his actual papers? Or just an application to register him? Because real papers DO have instructions on the back.

Along with real papers, you'll need a transfer signed by the registered owner.

Hi and welcome from Alaska .

You can go to the amha site to get the forms for registry .

You need to become a member .

For the photos you take side views with one of the views the horse looking at you.

Then a front view and a view from the back.

The people at amha are realy helpful.

You can call them or email them

Hope this helps you

It's an application to register him with his Sire and Dams' information and then I also have an application for transfer signed by the original owner.

Thank you so much for the picture information. Does it matter that his neck is shaved? Will the refuse to register him? Is it like registering a dog as in does he have to be exactly within a set standard? He is only 30 inches tall,so, I can't see that being an issue.

Thank you so much for the picture information. Does it matter that his neck is shaved? Will the refuse to register him? Is it like registering a dog as in does he have to be exactly within a set standard? He is only 30 inches tall,so, I can't see that being an issue.

No, it doesn't matter at all! They are not picky. There are no standards, they will register him unless he shows dwarf characteristics.

They probably either clipped him because he was getting hot or to show off his head and neck. Maybe both!

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis!

As a youngster, most likely his previous owner didn't register him yet and perhaps has provided you with the paperwork you need to do so. If it is the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR), you can call their office and ask for assistance. They are very nice and will help you all they can, especially making sure you have the right paperwork in hand. You do need to be a member of the AMHR to conduct business with them. Their website has a lot of info, too - it's http://www.shetlandmini.com/

A lot of times a mini's head and neck will be shaved (or clipped) to show his features to a prospective buyer. They get so hairy in the winter, that it's hard to tell what they really look like under all that fur! Lots of brushing and currying will help his winter coat shed as the weather warms up. And it's a good way to bond with your little one, teach him manners, etc. Of course, you can do a full body clip, too, but you'll need a set of clippers, a helper, a steady hand - and will probably need to gradually get him use to the noise, vibration and feel of clippers. All good things to do, but really not necessary unless you're showing.

Just a friendly reminder, the minis are just like big horses except they're in a small package! Make sure you treat him like you would your Quarter horse - teach him manners and reprimand naughty behavior; he must respect your space, help him understand (very firmly) that biting and rearing are not acceptable, etc. And if he's still intact, consider gelding him as soon as he is physically ready. You'll love him all the more without those pesky hormones!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it doesn't matter at all! They are not picky. There are no standards, they will register him unless he shows dwarf characteristics.
This while mostly true is not the whole story. Your horse must be within the height limit (which it sounds like he is) to be registered and of course the other criteria is that he be from registered parents (who are both DNA'd if it is the AMHA) and as LoriW pointed out you must be a member of the registry to do the work.

Congratulations and welcome
default_smile.png

Since your papers are for the American Miniature Horse REGISTRY (AMHR) - ignore comments about DNA - that is only required by the other registry which is AMHA.

AMHR recognizes horses in both the A and B divisions and you do NOT need to be worried about his height at this time. However, if you do plan on getting him registered - you must become a member to process any paperwork.

Here is a link to the membership form: http://www.shetlandmini.com/member-services/forms/item/adult-membership-form.html?category_id=375

Link to the Work Order (necessary for submitting your registration application): http://www.shetlandmini.com/member-services/forms/item/customer-work-order.html?category_id=374

Link for instructions on pictures (full right & left sides, front/head and one for rear legs):<br />http://www.shetlandmini.com/member-services/forms/item/photo-requirements-for-registration.html?category_id=374

If you have any questions on how to fill any of these documents out - drop me a note at [email protected] or give me a call 612-210-seven one eight seven

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your papers are for the American Miniature Horse REGISTRY (AMHR) - ignore comments about DNA - that is only required by the other registry which is AMHA.
I did specify that DNA was for AMHA
default_yes.gif

however I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't read the OP carefully enough otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to mention DNA at all.

I just wanted to say hi, Mrs. Samples from Mrs. Sample in Pennsylvania.
default_smile.png

I always get the two registrys mixed up . Lol

My girl is amhr

and they are nice .

You can call them or email them for help.

They will help you get your paper work in order.

Oh, thank you so much everyone and thank you for the warm welcomes! I am going to call and have someone guide me through the registry. I also decided that I am going to go ahead and clip him. It is getting warm here during the day and he is already starting to sweat. I have been currying him daily, but, it seems to not be doing all that much. He has VERY dense fur and some of it is still the wavy baby fur. I will post pictures of him as soon as he is cleaned up though!

Latest posts

Back