Helicopters seeds, toxic?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Maple tree helicopter seeds are toxic to horses? They are falling everywhere at my place, and seeing as I live in a fairly wooded area, they are all over the paddock. My horses are of course eating them, even though there is perfectly good hay out for them!

If someone could give me an answer and put my mind at ease, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

If you're talking about what I'm thinking of, I don't think they are. We get those in our paddocks and no one has gotten sick from them.

Depends on the type of helicopter seeds. I believe most maples are safe for horses but not red maples. They also have helicopter seeds but have a very red tint to them. Not sure if the seeds are poisonous on the red apple but the leaves are for sure.

depends on the type of maple...I have a sugar maple with green helicopters and my horses watch them twirl all the way down and eat them one by one. They eat the leaves from that tree too. We don't have any red maples anywhere. goats love them too I noticed and they even bleat at the twirling helicopter as it is falling and run and try to beat eachother to the goodie.

Back