height

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
I have a weanling who is 30" at the withers at 6 months old , what height do you think she will make ? do you think she will out grow her her papers? her dam is 34" last mane hair and sire is 31.5" last mane hair , this is her first foal

I sold a colt several years ago, dam is about 35.5 sire was 31.25, sire had a small background and dam's parents were around 34. The colt was almost a year old when sold, and was about 31-32. I knew he would be over 34. Found out he is 40" !!!!! It is a horse facility he is at, but I know they are aware of measuring minis at the last hair, even if they are a little off, that is still enormous from those parents! There are measurements taken from the center of the knee to the coronary band then multiply by four, must be done in inches, so if you have an 8 inch cannon, multiply by four, you get 32" give or take an inch, it is usually pretty accurate, but not fool proof.

Well, I have a weanling that is 32.5" at the last mane hair, at 4 months of age! By some estimations he will be a pony (over 38") and that is really OK. He can't outgrow his Pinto papers and he an still be shown at ADS shows (where we think he may excel) and if he keeps growing, maybe I can ride him! His dam is 34" and his sire is just a hair over 30". His cannon bone at birth was 8.5" which would have him mature as a B size mini. That is what we are hoping... I also didn't try very hard to get a super accurate measure at 4 months, and I know how measurements by different people can vary.

Levi's dam is 34" and his sire is 33". At 16mos. old he is as tall or taller than his dam :s. Hoping he slows down, but I like the taller ones anyway; he looks like a little Thoroughbred right now <3. I'll bet your girl will stay under 38, but almost surely go over 34".

Looking at the growth chart on the LB info pages, 30" at 6 months looks to mature about 36". The formula provided calculates 30" at 6 months to mature just over 35".

My 3 year old filly, I didn't keep track of her growth, has matured at 33.25"; her dam is 35.5" and her sire 31"; she actually measures halfway between the two.

Just to point out the other end of the spectrum, I have a 4 year old that has only grown perhaps 1/2" if that since she was a yearling and a 5 year old I was certain would go over - nearly 33" at a year who is right on 34 regardless of who measures him. Some grow early and stop, some start late and others are more gradual. The formulas are fairly accurate but there are exceptions. Helpful this morning aren't I
default_wink.png

I had a yearling that measured showing he would mature at about 35"- he matured at 32.75". My neighbors sold a yearling, knowing that he would go over. He was 32 as a yearling. They purchased him back as a 3 year old- he never grew past 32.5". You can get a rough estimate on height, but you just never know.

Take note that the foal in question is 30" at the withers. If she has no wither height to speak of then it will make little difference, but if she has a bit of either, and some foals do, then it may make some difference.

It's really hard to estimate, as everyone else has already said!
default_smile.png

My few spot's foals all grow very fast as weanlings. One measured 29.5" at 3 months and is 31" as a full yearling. His full brother was 30" at 4 months, was 32" as a yearling, and measured 33" as a 2 yr old. Expect them both to mature under 34", though close. My yearlings usually grow very little after that so once they hit that age it's easier to see where they might mature.

This newest one is taller though. A little over 30" and 3.5 months. He'll probably be 35" if I go by how the others grow.

So the chart is not always correct, though it's usually very close for my other foals.

A couple years ago I had a 28.75" mare and a 29" stallion lroduce a filly that is 34" on the dot now. Interesting how that works
default_smile.png

In my avatar... Mare is 33.5" sorrel pinto, Sire is 32" black pinto, the resulting colt was a tiny solid bay who is now 25" as a three year old. Not at all what i was expecting!!! I thought he must be a fluke so I repeated the breeding and got a red and white covered in paw prints and odd markings filly who looks like she will mature at about 27.5".

wow jax she really is tiny!!!!

my filly was about 21-22 ins at birth so according to the charts she should stay within size but I took a measure of the knee to coronet and it was 8.5 so that puts her over , they have all grown like weeds this year , I was wondering if its because I have them on higher protein feed this year , theyre on a 30% balancer , I normally feed foals on a youngstock mix which is about 16% (I think) Im hoping she will be like ohmt and stop soon !! Im going to hardship her dam into AMHR just incase .!!!

I bought a weanling who arrived and was 32.5"!!!!!!! He came with a height guarantee......as a 3 year old at Nationals last year he measured 33.25" He comes from a line that matures quick and then just stops. I was sure he would be over 34 by a yearling......

although Absolut has over twenty foals I dont know the heights of many so havent really a clue what he normally throws , wth mine is seems to be close to the size of the dams for a guess , the majority of this years mares were also maidens so no help there ,

Thanks for posting that Tami- maybe our 32.5" tall weanling will stay a mini and not grow to pony size!! An "A" size would be even better, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

Supaspot- Our 32.5" weanling also had a 8.5" cannon at birth. Don't forget that the percent of protein needs to take into consideration the whole diet, so you need to factor in the hay you feed. I just posted info on that on another thread on the care & feeding of weanlings. Our weanlings are getting 14.5% TOTAL protein, and to get that high a % I have to add some Calf Manna at 25% protein.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back