Height for Fence in Stud Pen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 C L Ranch

Reaction score
I've got a new stall up and I'm going to be connecting a permanent fenced paddock to it for a stud I'm picking up next weekend. He is a Raven of Bird Haven Son, Homozygous Black and Homozygous Tobiano.. He is 42" and purrrrdy. However, I want pretty to stay pretty and not get banged up or loose.

The paddock will be 30x30 connected to his 10x10 Stall. Just want him to be able to move so he doesn't stock up when he isn't being worked. I was looking into puting a 4 foot tall fence with a line of hotwire just an inch above the top panel.

The stall is solid to the 4 foot mark and then has 2x2 rails up to five feet.

I just don't want him trying to jump for it! and the rest of my paddocks are hotwire and I don't want to leave him in that for fear he'll think those mighty fine arab mares the neighbor has are his.. !!

I've got experience with Full sized stallions and their fencing needs but I'm not quite familiar with how high a stallion his size will try to clear since right now he is in an indoor stall/barn like you see at boarding stables for big horses.

Any of you Stallion Owners have any preferences or height ideas?

Eight foot high with barb wire and goon towers might be safe!!
laugh.gif
Seriously, four foot is not high enough, I would make it five. I only have Minis now and my paddock fence is five foot post and rail. I would also suggest you put the hot wire not on the top, but at nose height and and inch or two in from the actual fence- you can get little plastic thingeys to do this with- so that he doesn't actually get up to the fence, but has to stand back a few inches form it. Pictures, please!!

I did go out yesterday and purchase what you are talking about.. I'll have those too.. But I plan to run a line over the fence too.. My gelding still stands nearly against the wire and puts his head over the top. Smarty lil things.

For electric wire to be effective the animal has to know its there. One strand eighteen inches off the ground will prevent an animal for crossing. They have no concept that if they go higher they can avaod it just that when they go near it they get zapped.

Latest posts

Back