Heidi.....being a prankster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spirulina...don't recall ever hearing of it..will google it now. But at least I know you have used it and its safe. Thanks you Chandra. My horses hate anything I put in their food and can pick around most...sometimes the tablets if easy to break and crush I can mix w/gator aid and syringe into them pretty well. Thank you again

Springtime, Inc has spirulina wafers; mine don't really care for the wafers, but if I break them up some will eat most of it in their feed (usually, but now and then, they are stinkers and leave every trace of spirulina). Here's a link to Springtime, Inc for their spirulina wafers: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/spirulina-wafers-horse-allergy-supplements There is also pretty good information about spirulina on their site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tooth bumps or kick ?? sneeker looks like he has a tooth bump exactly where it would be normally...not huge but it is bigger or swollen on one side. He did have teeth when he was born..very small of course but compared to Cam they were already thru the skin...and now he does have chompers. LOL. His bite it right on and he seems to be able to eat, suckle and yes BITE just fine. It doesn't appear to be sore. I have attempted to put my finger in there and run it along side his gums and teeth thinking perhaps he has a little chipmunk pouch in there that could be holding food or bits of hay. But now he bites down so much its pretty difficult to get my finger in. PNut actually does have ( according to vet who does her teeth ) an odd dip in her teeth/jaw that does hold food and that's the reason she is the only one here who gets her teeth looked at 2xs a year. I can usually tell with her when its time b/c she gets what appears to be bumps but is actually pockets of 1/2 chewed hay and I will see it on the floor of the stall when it finally falls out.

My plan is to wait a few days and see if it is swelling and if it goes down ( perhaps got a little kick ) if not I will have vet out to take a look but my question is ...do teeth grow in that fast and perhaps they/or one is just growing enough to cause an actual bump. I tried taking a couple pics last night but you couldn't tell from the pics. Sorry. Thanks for shedding any light possible

I dont know if it is the same thing Heidi, but our little Whizz also developed a bump/hard swelling on her right jaw - side and under - when she was but a few weeks old. We did feel teeth just coming through at the back area and no food stuck in there. As it didn't seem to hurt her at all we just left it alone and it eventually went away - quite a long while later if I remember correctly! She was also a little madam and always annoying the other two foals, so we put it down to an unfortunate kick from another baby. I think Sneeker may have received the 'boot' from his little sister???? But at his early age, I wouldn't panic as long as he doesn't seem to be in pain, as I think it very unlikely that a growing tooth has caused it.

Diane, no sniffles or runny nose. its about 1 1/2in long and about 1/2 in wide and it starts just a bit higher than the corner of his mouth...its right on the side of his face. I don't think it would be nasal related. Is that what you may be thinking? I am going to go find an anatomy/bone horse chart and see what bones are in the area. Seems about same size as yesterday and he's still not at all bothered by it as far as I can tell. Anna, your Wizz sounds like Sneeker but there is no swelling or bump actually under the jaw...its all on the side. Hopefully sneekers will go away too and If he did get a little boot from Scarlet he deserved it.

Maybe he's had his first "big boy" lesson from little Scarlett, as Anna said! I'd just watch it, and it will probably go away on its own. You know boys.....they are just rough and tumble!

Well, having raised a very tall "tomboy" (6'1" -- Katy), I can say without a doubt that there wasn't a boy anywhere that would even take her on! She would put each and every one that tried -- straight down on the ground!!

And just to be sure we KNEW she was really a girl and STILL could be very feminine, here's one of my favorites

katy1.jpg

Oh that dress is fabulous Diane - she looks so beautiful (and very much a lady!)
default_yes.gif

Thank you Anna. Yes, she was very much the "Princess" that day -- even got married in a castle! And I think her wedding was the most expensive "single purchase" I ever made, except for Spotty and a house! LOL Ahhhhhh, the days when I had money -- but it's nice to remember.....

I still laugh, though. I remember telling her husband, just before the wedding, that she really was a girl and would at least wear a dress to the wedding! Because of her height, she generally wears slacks -- and has a hard time finding them long enough. But he was pleased when he saw her all "dolled up" and said the "tomboy" was really all girl !!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, she looks stunning and very much a Princess. What a beautiful gown. I see no tom boy in that picture for sure!!

I've got to get out today to get more pics of Scarlet...Im afraid to say..she is getting white!! She may keep some of the brown and it will just end up being very light, light...but she for sure is changing rather fast. Sneeker on the other hand is staying dark. It appears too that his bump is a lot smaller this morning so perhaps it was just the boot from Scarlet or maybe even Holly as he's become such a little pest with her. She is usually very gentle with her discipline but she may have not realized he was that close.

So sorry I've been busy and not on the boards and I missed that gorgeous photo of your daughter Diane. She is beautiful!!!

Thank you both very much. But have no doubt, she's still a "tomboy" -- and since her husband is a rock climber and has climbed all over the world -- even El Capitan -- they sent me this picture from their honeymoon in Greece! YIKES!!

Katy Hanging.jpg

He got her into climbing -- AND the grandchildren. Even little Rachel who will turn 3 next month, will climb the "rock wall" they have in their garage! Makes me crazy. But Matt is a safety freak, so new equipment and climbing ropes after every second year. AND he promised me, since Katy is a surgeon that she will do NO "finger climbs" pushing those fingers into crevices. As long as he keeps his word, all is good!!

What a picture Diane!! Reminds me of the little baby birds when momma decides to push them out of the nest!! She looks so calm and cool up there....such a calming feeling after her life and death mode that Im sure is stressful in her work mode. Hard to believe Rachel is 3....and climbing!! Diane, I cant remember is Matt also a doctor. Something tells me ...He Will Keep His Word...no finger climbs!!

....still cant get over that beautiful photograph!!

Yeah, I remember when I went to visit when Rachel was being born, the first thing Joshua had me watch was him climbing to the top of the climbing wall in their garage! And apparently, Rachel is quite the climber. Little Joshua was so excited to tell me about his new climbing shoes when we were on vacation, and that daddy takes him up to the top of the mountain (in the development they live in) to let him climb some of the rock walls where the big trucks were digging out for further development! LOL

No, Matt has a degree in Engineering and in Cinemotography from Dartmouth. But he HATES being in an office, so he was doing Safety videos for major companies around the country until the kids came. Then, since Joshua was first born, he's been the stay-at-home dad, and just works from home on the side, selectively choosing what he wants to do. He's goes on climbing excursions with two of his climber frriends at least once or twice a year for a week at a time, and luckily for Katy -- he's a gourmet chef! I just LOVE visiting their house when I can -- but haven't been out there since Rachel was born.

Having a non-doctor husband was probably "momma's" doing, as all I kept thinking was that if she wanted a "life" she needed someone who was grounderd in something other than life-and-death, and could keep her other interests moving ahead. I'm generally pleased with him (but you know all momma's still want to "tweak" those "in-law" kids!! LOL

And yes, I love that picture, too! Such stunning scenery I'll never get to see otherwise! And smack in the middle, one of my favorite fillies!

What a great photo!!! I'm envious. What an adventure. What a beautiful, talented daughter you have.

Great photos Diane!

That dress is gorgeous... and I don't often say that about dresses! :D

Latest posts

Back