Heavy mane?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
My mare has a really thick and heavy mane. When I got her last year, it was long (hanging a few inches below her neck, and the weight of it pulled her crest over and created a 'dent' in front of her withers (like a ewe neck), I cut her mane off to make her more comfortable and so her neck could stop being pulled over . She was underweight at the time, so it could have been part of it, but her mane is starting to get some length back now, and her crest is already starting to fall over again (she's probably a little overweight now, though...). I like the way she looks without a mane, but I also like braiding (I do have two other horses who's manes I can braid, so if cutting it off is the best option, I can live with that), so I'd like to thin her mane so it's not too heavy for her, without losing length. Would giving her a long bridle path help,or would I need to pull it? Can I pull her mane without losing length?

Here's pictures of her with and without her mane.

The two pictures outside with the long mane are right after I got her.

The picture inside the barn is about ten days later. She lost her mane, gained a little weight, and lost some winter hair.

The short mane picture outside is after her mane started to grow a bit.

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0046_1.jpg

2015-05-25_20.08.26.jpg

IMAG0380_1.jpg

There are a couple of things you could do if you want to grow it out. (She does look nice with the short mane tho. Looks like my mini mule) My gelding has a Very thick and long mane too. When he came to me his crest had fallen a little and his mane was on the "wrong/left" side. I started under cutting it a little, then realized I could just flip it to the right side and it would stay! I figured it would even out the crest. It's hard to tell with the winter hair if it worked yet. But with it on the right it's easier to buckle the halter. I do have to keep a small running braid up by his bridle path, otherwise he drags it in the water and it gets in his way when he eats. I hate to cut a longer bridle path because it's the only black part of his mane. (bay pinto)

So if you want to grow it out, when long enough, wet it, braid it for about a week on the other side. Maybe that'll do it and help it lay down. Or you could under cut it a little and let it lay on the side you want it If after it grows out it still pulls the crest over.

I would under cut it (shave or cut a sliver of hair underneath the mane) Most people who show do this so they don't have huge fluffy pony looking manes. It helps their manes be a good consistent thickness and not be too heavy or fluffy looking.

I agree with the comments to undercut the mane if it gets to full and heavy. I did that with my gelding for several years until I decided that I liked him even better without a mane. Also, top line and neck strength will help a little.

I'll try undercutting it and see if I like it. Is it easier to do with scissors or clippers? I've been doing everything with scissors, but I'm wanting to get clippers to make them look better. There's just so many other things I need or want for the horses that seem more important, lol

I think you will eventually have to invest in some good clippers. I use the Andis 2 speed and it words well for me, but you will find other topics about clippers. Try scissors and see if you like it--it always grows back! Throw the mane over the wrong way. I use a comb to section out the part I want to cut. Do a small section first, then more if necessary.

Just found a discarded nest yesterday made from my horses' mane hair. Looks like a comfy nest for birdies!

Latest posts

Back