Heavy late summer shedding??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Ellie18.jpg

Hi again everyone! I was wondering if late summer shedding is normal for mini's? Ellie has been shedding heavily for about 3 weeks now and it seems odd to me. She has no bare spots anywhere , but I am still concerned. Thanks for your help, Trish

The winter hair is coming in and the summer hair is falling out. Just like mine. Trouble mine just does not come in as thick (actually it might not even come in at all except around the sides)

Like "Geese" said, the horses are losing their "summer" hair as their winter hair begins to grow in. With some of my horses, I don't notice it at all (some are already getting quite fuzzy!) but with others, it's really obvious. Not anything to worry about, unless of course you DO see some bald patches!
ohmy.gif

Your horse looks like it has quite a short coat, and that's the ones I notice the late-season shedding on too.
smile.gif

Mine went through that about 4 weeks ago- I call it the 2nd shed! I have been overseas for over two weeks and though it is still over 100 degrees here, came home to find horses getting fuzzy for winter now!!

Laurie

Your mini is absolutely adorable -- That face is so sweet I just want to kiss it!

My gelding has a very, very short, tight coat, and his winter coat is just starting to come in. Getting him ready for the fair this past weekend, I first brushed him thoroughly and then bathed him, and got rid of an unbelievable amount of loose hair.

Just as the winter coat needs to make way for the short summer coat, the reverse is also true.

Oh yes....quite normal. Most of my minis start shedding their summer coats early to mid august....making way for their winter coats to come in.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back