Heavy Heart Today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmymini2

Reaction score
It is with heavy heart I post this today...My Mare Godiva went into labor yesterday evening..I saw a red bulge and I knew that she was in trouble...I cut the bag open and saw a head dangeling no hoofs...I broke the bag and saw no hoofs so I did what I learned on this great forum..I reached in and pulled the hoofs out ..the baby came half way out and I couldn't budge it..I tried to push it back in to try to turn it..but no good...I called the vet .he said if I could get her loaded to bring her in...she was so exhausted she went down and wouldn't get up...I guess she relaxed so much from exhaustion when Windel pulled the baby the plancenta came out ..the cord was wrapped around this precious little filly's legs about 4 times....so I knew it was probably dead before she tried to deliver..it...thats probably why it never got into the right position...thats just my openion....she was a very dainty brown and white pinto with markings like her daddy....I am so thankful for this forum and all the knowlege I have learned from it...I just had to tell someone ..thanks for listening....Pat..GODIVA IS DOING GOOD...THANK GOD....

I am so sorry. How sad. I cant say anthing else except sorry! I am glad the mare is doing well and that she has you as a mommy. God Bless.

im so sorry. we had almost the exact same thing happen last year. Its heartbreaking. your in my thoughts

Kay

[SIZE=14pt]so sorry for your loss. i went through something similar a few months ago, so sad, reading you post brought it all back, breaks your heart to see a sweet little baby dead. glad to hear your mare is doing well though, Nikki[/SIZE]

Oh my heart aches for you. I'm so glad that your mare is doing okay.

(((((HUGS)))))

I am so sorry for your loss. It does sound as if there was little you could do other than save your mare and you are successful with that. I hope she recovers fully, and that you can find peace in knowing you did the best you could!

((((hugs))))

Liz M.

I'm so sorry, it's just heartbreaking. I'm happy your mare is recoverying from the stress of such an event. My prayers are with you.

Pat,

I wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your foal. I know exactly how you feel and that is why I am posting this. We have been waiting on a couple of much anticipated foals.

Last Friday one was born, a beautiful palomino filly. She was only 283 days and the mare wasn't acting like she was progressing normally. I called for help from our vet twice, but they were to busy to come at that time. I knew that I couldn't wait on them for help so when I reached in, just like you, a red bag presented itself. I got the filly right out. The vet showed up 10 minutes later. We took her to OSU and the team there worked hard to save her. On the following Thursday the vet at OSU called and said that the filly was standing and now aware of her environment. Very responsive and they were all happy. Friday the filly's white count dropped to nothing and an infection seemed to be taking over. At 3:30AM my cell phone rang, the filly had gone into respiratory arrest. Our mare Barbie is back home and doing well which is a blessing.

The next evening after this filly was born, our little black mare Jazz, started to go into labor. I was there and had no idea that she too was going to loose her foal. The labor wasn't progressing normally so my husband and I both tried to get the foal out while the vet was on his way. The foal was breech and the vet was the one who finally delivered the foal. It was a filly who had already died due to a twisted cord which was wrapped around her body. She was to early and just getting her body hair. She was going to be a buckskin pinto.

This year we have had four beautiful foals with no problems and I am thankful for that.

One is hard, and two in a row is just double the grief for me. The vet at OSU said that some people don't care so much, but I won't ever get used to loosing one of these beautiful little foals.

So what I am saying is, Pat, I'm sending my thoughts and prayers your way. I'm so sorry about your foal...

I feel your pain.

Janet

It's always so sad when I read when someone looses one of these wonderful little horses. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad your mare is o.k. This means there is always a chance for a foal in the future. Hugs to you and your mare.

Dawn :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sooo sorry to hear about your loss :no: Sending hugs and prayers your way. Joyce

Thank you so much for responding...It is heart wrenching to loose a baby but it just kills me for her to whinny and look for it...I didn't think it would be so hard .I can't even think of it without tearing up...I'm so glad Godiva is doing well..she finally came out of the barn this evening to see her other babies...Scooter and Kandi...they talked through the fence...thanks again for listening and for your support......Pat

I am so sorry you lost your foal! I hope your mare recovers.

Beth

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal, it is so hard on the Moms and it just makes me cry to see them grieve for their babies - for me this is one of the saddest things.

This year when our Trixie's foal was dead due to a terrible dystocia, she grieved for days, I felt so helpless not being able to do anything. When Apachie(our old "not" pregant mare) had her foal - Trixie seemed to think it was her lost baby. We have had quite the time with Trixie, she will not leave little "Finn" out of her sight, the mares have finally reached a compromise and Trixie respectfully keeps her distance but the colt must always be where she can see him.

Janet, I am so sorry that you have also lost 2 precious foals.

Hugs to both of you and special hugs for the grieving mares.

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope mama is doing well, my prayers are going out to you and your little mare.

I am sitting here crying over your loss. I tread the thought of this ever happening to me, My hubby told me I should get some pills because I worry about the little ones so much.

I am so sorry for your loss - I know only too well how heartbreaking it is as we have lost our last two foals. You did everything you could and because of that your mare sounds like she will be fine. She will have a beautiful foal for you next year so that gives you something to look forward to.

It is so devastating when things like this happen - my heart is with you at this time.

Run free little one - there are many others just waiting to run and play with you.

I'm sorry for your losses, both of you who posted here. Glad your mares are alright though. We lost a dystocia early this year also....first in many years. It is heartbreaking, although I'm so relieved that my mare survived it with no damage (and is back in foal!). I know in our case had we not been there we'd probably have lost the mare as well. Our mare "adopted" a foal also lol, she's a mostly white pinto and the foal is marked much like her. I guess she thought it must be hers...fortunately mom tolerates her attention pretty well!

Jan

I am very sorry for you but glad to hear your mare is ok.

Joyce L

Latest posts

Back