HEAT waves and abortion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
We are heading into another extreme heat wave in NJ, and most of the country has been in a terrible heat wave too.

Last summer, I was sure that the two mares that I bred took. They didnt cycle, the others not bred did. Towards the end of last summer, we had a brutal heat wave and a few weeks later the mares came into heat.

There is shade, fresh clean water which I run frequently to cool it down, big salt blocks and electrolytes added to the feed.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think heat waves have an effect on early fetal loss(very early abortions)?

Thanks!

Robin

I think extreme heat can bring on a variety of illnesses. That said, I don't think animals are as affected by temperatures (either hot or cold) as humans are. I have no doubt I would be dead if I had to be out in this heat 24/7. I did spend 3 days in the hospital several years ago, due to the heat, and I try to take care of myself now.

I am anxious to hear the vets opinions on this topic.

Stress can cause abortion, but heat/cold alone unlikely enough.

But, you don't KNOW they were pregnant.

A more likely scenario is that they weren't and didn't show signs of heat when it was hot.

Dr Taylor

What we are finding here in Oklahoma, is that with our extreme heat of 100+ temp days, the mares aren't cycling. They are going into an anestrous mode. So, while we may be thinking a mare is in foal from an earlier breeding, our vet is ultrasounding them open.

So, as Dr Taylor said, they are probably not in foal and simply not showing heat in the extreme temps as opposed to aborting.

I'm hopeful I have mares in foal, but most have not been ultrasounded and most are not showing heat. It will be just wait and see for me.

Another thought is that they could have gotten in foal before the heat wave, and had an early fetal loss(which is fairly common) which just happened to coincide with the heat wave. Having an early US or other confirmation of pregnancy would help out here.

Back