heat wave

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
were having a heat wave here in perth australia the hottest its been in 45 years

i was wondering if anyones got any ideas on how to keep my horse,s cool

We've had horrible heat waves in the past. I keep my horses lots of fans in the barn where its cool, do a lot of hosing down, provide a kiddie pool with fresh water, and I feel beet pulp soaked in straight Gatorade to help with hydration and electrolytes.

default_saludando.gif
thanks marty it got to 43.7 deg here today. its 6.00pm here at the moment and its still 38.7

and very tropical muggy weather just horrible

dont know how much that is in your country..

Wow are you really? I hope it doesn't come our way... It usually does though... We had 54mm rain today!!!!! And about an hour away is having flash floods and taree is only massive flood alert for all rivers!!!! This summer has been so crazy hasn't it!! I love the rain we are havInv. but the temp didn't go over 23 degrees...n when it does it hits 40 degrees then back to 20!! How cool are your stable blocks? My stable is timber and stays really nice and cool, on the hot days, Suzie n Finn spend the whole day on the shavings in the stable by choice!! I think afan would bea great idea,andi have hereof heaps of people giving Gatorade so that might be a good thing to try,hope it doesn't last long...

We had over 100 days of over 100º temps this summer. It was wicked. We made sure everyone had shade and plenty of cool water. Did all our chores and working in the evening. If they were super fuzzy we clipped them all down, especially the foals.

All came through great!

Shoot , Lucky Lodge, hope you keep that over your side of the country. We have been having such a mild summer this year....so far....it's been great.

When we last hit the 40+ deg a couple of years ago I was always amazed to look out the window and see some of the little guys lying full stretch in the sun.......working on their tan no doubt.

Shoot , Lucky Lodge, hope you keep that over your side of the country. We have been having such a mild summer this year....so far....it's been great.

When we last hit the 40+ deg a couple of years ago I was always amazed to look out the window and see some of the little guys lying full stretch in the sun.......working on their tan no doubt.
HAHA
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I can so imagine that! luckily my kids go in the shade of trees or in their stable LOL but then stay stand out in this rain we have been having so not so smart LOL

how are you guys coping with the rain? hope your not flooded at all? I can't remember where you said you were at sorry lol
default_saludando.gif

Hi Cassie.

No rain here. We've only had 16mls all month. I'm in Young.... about an hour and a half from Canberra and Wagga. How about you? I know they are having a bad time again up north.

I'm in the Hawkesbury, a bit over an hour away from Sydney, we have had over 150mm this month!!! a very wet summer, up further they are getting flooding... we haven't had it that bad thank goodness, I must admit I'm loving the green paddocks and so are our cattle and horses!! lol I hope some of our rain goes down to you guys!! I have friends who live in Murranburra!!!!
default_laugh.png
maybe one day when I go down, I could come and visit you...?? just a thought!
default_biggrin.png

Making jugs of ice to put in the water sounds like an idea. I freshen up their water twice a day, but the jug would also give them something to play with in the water. Maybe make them drink more. I am also hosing them down in the afternoon. They seem to like that a lot. I'm afraid a kiddy pool wouldn't last long with my two destructos.

Marsha, this thread is 7 years old, so probably past that heat wave; but probably in another even with it winter down there right now, cause it's Australia, and they've been in a bad drought for at least a couple years now.

Is anyone in the SouthEast USA having this extreme heat? If so, I hope you have a cool place for the minis to rest in the heat of the day.

Latest posts

Back