Heat Stroke, please be careful

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I had a heat stroke yesterday out at the barn. I'm prone to heat strokes; I've had them before and I knew better but didn't stop and think. The temperature was 99 degrees and humidity was 105+. I was so worried about keeping my horses cooled off that I guess I forgot about drinking and hit the ground. I couldn't hardly move for a few minutes and it was a good thing that I passed out right at the wash rack where I could grab the hose and wet myself down. I'm glad both my dogs were out there jumping on me and licking my face to help me be awake. I had been rinsing everyone two by two on the wash rack like an assembly line, soaking beet pulp in Gatorade, changing bedding, and just was rushing around too much out there in general to hurry and everyone in the barn under fans. After that I was vomiting for the better part of thirty minutes or so and it took a long cold shower and a half a gallon of Gatorade before my body temp was cooled down. Heat stroking is not fun so take a lesson from me to be careful, don't work at a fast pace, and stay hydrated.

Please be careful if you are working your horses. I've also had horses heat stroke in Florida from doing absolutely NOTHING. One time I just had the horses turned out early in the am to clean stalls and before I was finished, I had a mare down in the field. The humidity can get them so easily.

Here's some information about heat strokes for you:

Too Hot To Trot

Heat Stroke can occur in a horse during any season, but more so during the summer months. Working a horse in high heat and humidity may cause his respiratory rate to become more than his heart rate; the result is heat stroke. Set aside early morning or evening hours for working with your horse.

A backyard horse can get heat stroke from standing out in it on a hot day. Besides elevated respiratory rates, signs of heat stroke can be stumbling, listlessness, and collapsing.

First Aid For Heat Stroke:

1. Bring the horse to a shady or cool area.

2. Offer him water to drink and Gatorade.

3. Run water all over his body with the hose. Keep scrapeing the water off as it hits his body because it will become warm when it touches him.

4. Put him in front of a fan if possible.

5. Allow him to rest.

Note: Do not apply towels to his body. Wet towels become warm and keep the heat trapped against him.

Do not exercise your horse in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Here is a good rule to go by that will tell you when the temperature is safe to exercise your horse:

Temperature + Humidity = Heat Index

Add your temperature to your humidity to obtain your heat index. The heat index is the measurement of how hot you feel. If your heat index is 130 or less it is safe to exercise. If your heat index is 150 or more, proceed with light exercise using caution. If your heat index is 180 or more, it is too hot to exercise your horse and heat stroke may occur. Do not exercise your horse at all. Cancel your session that day.

copyright Marty Garrison

Everyone be careful now! :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marty for the reminder.... I had a foal heat stroke a few years back, her temp got to 106 and I had to pack her in ice. she was limp and I carried her back to the barn to take care of her. Make sure your horses have clean water all day, Im refilling tubs about 3 times a day here. also make sure shade is available. You would be surprised how many people have horses in a field with no shade!

Lyn

Marty,thanks for the tips.Our heat index here is 117 today so I cancelled my trip to the vet at noon with 4 horses for some thyroid tests.Also rescheduled delivery of a mare to her new owner.I AM NOT putting any of my horses in a metal trailer today unless it is a dire emergency.

Oh Marty!! Please take good care of you! We need you here! Heat stroke can occur even quicker in people or animals that have had it before. Thanks for the remonder!

Love,

Robin

Thanks for the reminder, Marty. The heat/humidity is really bad in Iowa right now, too. Last night we had a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning, wind, and rain. My horses have a run in shed and ALWAYS have used it in the past in inclement weather, but last night they wouldn't go in, they just stood in the pasture in the rain (and lightning :no: )! All I could think was that the rain must have just felt so good to them that they weren't going in for anything!! Scared the crap out of me as I sat there and watched them from my window (not smart either!) in fear - I even opened up the window and hollered at them a few times, hoping that would snap them out of it and send them to their shelter. A big part of me wanted to rush out there and bring them in but for once logic prevailed.

Thank God all are safe and sound!

Thank goodness you were ok. :new_shocked: I know how bad heat stroke in both people and animals can be. It has been a strange summer. Here in NY we usually have 1/2 dozen high temp days but this year it seems 4 of 7 days it is so hot, no breezes either. My girls have huge power fans that blow on them in the shed.

I do like Lyn and change the water trough (muck bucket) if it feels tepid, sometimes even 4 times a day. So far so good. We have a huge run in which is at least 15 degrees cooler than out. My heart hurts when I see the Amish horses standing under a spindly tree.

We also have no more grass in the paddocks, just finished mowing "weeds", and the yard is brown. I mowed the top paddock yesterday and am sorely tempted to let the girls up there but again, they will be so intent on searching for grass they won't come down to drink! It hasn't been grazed since last year. Such a dilema! Be safe everyone! Good reminder for one and all.

also make sure shade is available. You would be surprised how many people have horses in a field with no shade!

just wanted to share that having shade available is not necessarily enough... a few years ago we had a tiny filly die of heat stroke at ten days old... there was plenty of shade available BUT she layed down next to mama for a nap, and mama was standing in the sun :no: so if you have very young, very small or very old ones, you might consider keeping them in full shade!

Marty you be careful!!!! both my husband and i have had minor heat strokes in the past and it is true that you are more susceptible once you have had them...

take care everyone :saludando:

Gosh Marty, PLEASE be careful! I know you worry about the horses first, but you must take care of you too.

Good post, good reminder
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=18pt]OMG! Marty,[/SIZE]

Please be careful out in this heat we are having! It's 5:45 PM here and still 96 and the heat index is over 100! :eek: Tommorrow it's susposed to be even hotter! Well over 100 degrees! We are doing our cleaning at 5AM and just keeping fresh water for our horses through the day! Please be careful!

Bill

Oh Marty, I hope your feeling better. We (like idiots) held a fund raiser show in Aug. in Florida, having lived here you know how hot Aug. can be. We wet hand towels and put them in the freezer long enough to get really cold, put them around our necks to keep our temps. down they worked pretty good, and of course drank gallons of water. Maybe that would help you on these hot days. Take care, Kathy

How scary. I am glad you are ok. Thanks for the tips.

OK Marty smarty! That's enough of that girl! Don't scare us like that..as stated before we need you here! AND your horses need you..

please take care and prayers for cooler weather for all of us.

Maxine

Latest posts

Back