Heat Related

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam

Reaction score
My two month old filly was "off" this morning. She was not eating, rolling some, and breathing heavily- but no temp. The vet had me give Banamine, but after a few hours she was not better. No longer rolling, but now just laying flat out. By the time the vet got here, her temp had increased to 102. Her gut sounds were good and all vitals great, so he did not suspect any compaction. He has had so many babies sick with the heat, and he really felt it was a respiratory problem and heat related. The horses were in a paddock with lots of shade and lots of cool water to drink. Not much more that I can do! I have three others with runny noses - clear flluid from the nose - and I am watching them closely too. My vet said that he has been to a big Paint farm 9 times in the last week with sick babies and feels it is cuz of this durn heat........

We are treating this filly with Tribessen and she is now nursing and nibbling at the hay in the stall for the night. I was sure worried about her, so glad things are looking up.

Just wondering how others were coping with the heat. It is supposed to be in the 90's again tomorrow, which is very hot for Indiana.

So far so good here. Keeping my fingers crossed. Its been 104-106 and its dang hot! No humidity so I think thats what helping us.

Just got off the phone with someone who also has a foal who's suffering from the heat.

Just as a general rule it's probably good to keep plenty of electrolytes on hand to encourage lots of water drinking.

And for foals, pedialyte is always good too. Foals have an even harder time with the heat sometimes because some don't know enough to drink water on their own.

MA

We were 117 a couple of days ago, and my 3 month old colt is doing ok in it. The only time I had a similar problem to yours was when I wormed his dam over a month ago with a paste wormer, and it passed thru her milk to him. He did get better, but it took a while. You can allways wet them down to bring the temps down too.

When Blue was sick the only way I could hydrate him was to give him watermelon. He wasn't drinking water or eating but he would take the watermelon. A short while after that he felt like drinking water. I think it was the only thing that kept him from going completely down hill.

Latest posts

Back