Heard a rumor today about Nutrena feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I was hanging out with a feedstore friend and she said the Nutrena rep wanted to get with out local mini clubs. Seems Nutrena is going to come out with a Mini specific feed. He wants to get with the clubs and talk to them about it.

That would be cool!

Farnam came out with a Mini/Pony feed in their platform feeds..........I personally am not a fan of EITHER Nutrena or Farnam, so I stick to my own methods, and they seem to be working great.

\

No big deal there--I will no longer buy Nutrena feeds anyway. Since our grain ration consists of plain oats I would have little interest in a specialty feed for Minis even if Feed-Rite made it.

CLC and Minimore, just wondering why you dont like Neutrena feeds?? I feed neutrena youth to my foals, and have never had a problem, my mares and everyone else get my own mix, which I have done at the feed mill. What do you use to feed your foals? Corinne

A couple of friends of mine went to a "seminar" on a feed for minis seems they were more interested in the packaging and stuff but then again those that were there werent really up on there nutrtion is what my friends told me anyway.

I feed Nutrena Safe Choice and empower and have to honestly say I dont know I have ever been happier with a feed what it has done for my aged T/B is amazing. He is eating less then half of what he did with other feeds and finally he is not only not thin but actually a bit on the plump side.My vet was amazed at the difference in just a couple of months.

I feed Nutreana Safe Choice nad love it. My mare never had a shiny coat and now she does! Farrier even noticed the difference.
default_yes.gif
:

I have fed Nutrena feeds for years and love it!

I think its great if they care enough to come out with a feed for our minis!

Bon!!!!

A couple of friends of mine went to a "seminar" on a feed for minis seems they were more interested in the packaging

I think it would be great, if companies came out with a mini-size bag of mini feed. Maybe offered it in 25# and 50# bags, so people who only have one or two minis could keep their feed fresher.

I have 4 minis and 3 full-size so freshness isn't too much of an issue.

Minimule, that is interesting. Last time I was visiting there I met the Nutrena guy at Horseman's and suggested smaller packaging for miniatures. Maybe they have been researching the idea. At the last clinic here in OK, the Evergreen guy gave a presentation and I mentioned smaller packing to him. He said he didn't think Evergreen had the idea in the works, but maybe they are now. I use SafeChoice for mine, and would love to buy a smaller bag instead of 50#.

Marsha

Rob, are you sure Farnam did? I use Platform, checked at my dealer and on Farnam website and I can't find any information.

Rob, are you sure Farnam did? I use Platform, checked at my dealer and on Farnam website and I can't find any information.
Yes Farnam has made a mini/pony feed. I first saw them advertising it when I got the show bill to the AMHA World Show. They said go to their site for details and I did and there was nothing mentioned about it there
default_rolleyes.gif
: It is Platform.

Now I was told recently by my Purina dealer that she got word that Purina is also coming out with a mini/pony feed. Now thats something I might be interested in.

So it looks like all the major feed companies are starting to come out with mini/pony feeds.

I think it would be great, if companies came out with a mini-size bag of mini feed. Maybe offered it in 25# and 50# bags, so people who only have one or two minis could keep their feed fresher. I have 4 minis and 3 full-size so freshness isn't too much of an issue.

I was thinking the very same thing this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gang

I am so glad you brought this topic up. I was going to. I do have some questions.

I too feed the Safe Choice and love it. I do have a couple of horses on the Omelene 200.

I want them off it, and I want to feed them something not in PURNIA. So any ideals or

suggestions? My stallion Little Bits, is 19, he is a very hard keeper, I fight weight with him

big time, he needs to gain, and gain, and gain. I have had his teeth just redone and wormed.

He just is always so hard to keep weight on. He loves to run. He is free hayed. He will not

eat Senior Feeds. I have tried. He will not. He will not eat the safe choice. Mixing it in, he will

pick around it. Is there something in the Nutrina Feeds to feed him? And I have the mare who

was over dosed before we bought her on Bute, she is also a hard keeper. With her mouth, loosing

the upper lip, to ulcers. She gets part omeleme 200 and part safe choice. She will eat the safe

choice. But it does not keep her weight up. She drops without the omleme. So any ideals, Please.

She too does not like the senior feeds, and I think that is still in the purnia feeds.

I want off this Purnia feeds. With the horses that died, the story on the 27 horses, and still trying to

figure what was the cause. I know Purnia is saying its the owner's fault. But there is more going on

there. The owner just wants to know the real reason he lost so many horses. I love the Nutrenia

feeds.

Vicky

I remember years ago a feed that they came out with and it was advertised in the Miniature Horse World. It was made for minis and I think it was made by the Manna people.

Does anyone remember and know if it is still out there, or did it kind of fizzle or what?

Susan O.

I had to go to the feed store this morning so I ask. The only new product that Nutriena is coming out with a Lite variety - 1000 cal/KG, 12% Protein, 3% Fat, lots of vitamins and minerals. But from the information in the flyer I think it is more designed for the overweight horse.

The flyer has on it for miniature horses.

I am just concerned that it is a Lite feed.

I remember years ago a feed that they came out with and it was advertised in the Miniature Horse World. It was made for minis and I think it was made by the Manna people.

Does anyone remember and know if it is still out there, or did it kind of fizzle or what?

Susan O.
I think the Manna Pro mini feed did fizzle; there is no mention of it on their current website. I saw ads for it in some back issues of Miniature Horse Voice I bought, but don't recall if I saw the ads in any other publication.

My stallion Little Bits, is 19, he is a very hard keeper, I fight weight with him

big time, he needs to gain, and gain, and gain. I have had his teeth just redone and wormed.

He just is always so hard to keep weight on. He loves to run. He is free hayed. He will not

eat Senior Feeds. I have tried.

Vicky
Does he eat other pelleted feeds? Just wondering as Safe Choice and some senior feeds are extruded; so perhaps he doesn't like the texture of the extruded feeds, but would eat a pelleted senior feed, if you could find one. Nutrena makes like 3 different senior feeds, perhaps you can try a different variety. [Life Design Senior, FARR Legacy, JL Signature Senior]. They also have Horse Kwik, a 14% complete feed.

The latest I heard on those Texas horses is that is was the feed. Because of dry conditions, the grain (corn is the worst) had toxic levels of something. Growers are being warned to cut their feed crops at least 6 inches from the ground, as the toxins are concetnrated there. It doesn't pertain to grass hay, only grain/feed crops. I heard this from a guy in the forestry/herbicide industry. Sure is hard to get information on this topic! Everyone concerned is trying to protect himself! Nobody's fault, just one of those wierd things. I am glad I have a stash of older feed in the freezer.

Sorry, I have to stick to Purina on my horses. I have had so much better luck with my APHA on their feed then I have had with Nutrena. I tried their feed for a year with my big horses and never could keep the weight on them like i wanted. They are halter bred type horses and that is what I want to see when I look at them. Big build horses. Now my minis they gain weight looking at feed. My vet has told me to stop feeding the mares. They are too fat. So I have cut back and no difference. So I'm going to post soon and ask advice on what people do for over weight minis. If Nutrena comes out with the diet food I would try it.

Latest posts

Back