Healthy or overweight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Ok so y'all know when I got bonny she was very thin and ribby, Well we have been up and down the pregnant road. One said yes one said no. But my question is , if this mare is not bred, does she look right? She has tiny legs and you can feel but not see her ribs. But she still has this belly thing. So is she over weight now? Or do you think she is just about right? Are minis typically built this way? Like a barrel with tooth picks for legs?

She is just so wide!

3-27-08030-1.jpg

3-27-08017-1.jpg

3-27-08023-1.jpg

I think she looks to be at a good weight for her height. She looks healthy to me but not overweight.

You know 10-20lbs is a lot on these little horses. I think I would try dropping her weight about 15lbs. If you think she looks thin it is easy to put it back on.

Not over weight. You can see the horse isn't from the hips which are slightly hollowed. I'd say, given that she is pregnant (?), that she might stand to actually gain some based on those hips (not a lot, but some). If she's not pregnant, I would wonder if coarse hay is giving her a little bit of a bloated / big belly look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thinkyour mare looks wonderful. If she is not pregnant, maybe she has a hay belly. Looks like she enjoys eating.!!!! If she is not pregnant, try feeding her in smaller portions, rather than the "help yourself". But she looks good. Wendy

I think she looks good
default_smile.png
If she is bred do you know how far along she would be -- I remember reading your other post but I cant remember now what it said on dates
default_smile.png

Looks to me that she just has a hay belly. My Willow gets like that from just one day on grass. I bring in her off the grass for a day or two and hand feed her, and 'wham', her belly disappears. Like Jill said, could be the hay too.

Is she up to date with her worming schedule? That can bloat them too if they have a belly full of worms.

Good luck, I honestly think it's just a hay belly. She's not fat/overweight anywhere else.

Looks like a hay belly. You can't base a horses weight on a hay belly, look at the withers and that. This horse in my opinion needs a bit more weight.

I agree she needs more good weight, less hay.

Thanks y'all. She gets her feed spread out 3 times a day. Then she has the hay 24/7. Our pasture is weedy not much grass. But I am working on that.

This last bale of hay I got wasnt as good as I have had before.I wont get that again.

She has padding over her withers, tail and ribs.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Latest posts

Back