Healthy hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikosmom

Reaction score
I have been searching for help with my mini's hooves and I've found little info. I have read a lot of people on this site who do their own and I would appreciate if anyone can share pics of healthy, correctly trimmed hooves. Even better if you have before (bad) and after (good).

Thanks

Best thing is a GOOD farrier. One who has had training on how to trim for correct balance, as well as health issues such as white line, thrush, founder. One of the things many farriers do is leave WAY WAY too much heel, which causes them to stand up like on soda cans, forcing them "over" at the knees, which is painful for the horse. I've owned horses for over 50 years, have watched as they trimmed thousands of feet over that period of time, and would never trim my own unless I went to an in-depth class. I have fired 4 farriers - one I threw off the property because he just was incompetent. Just because they have a hoof nipper and a rasp doesn't mean they should be anywhere near a horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope someone will post some photos, I know there is a member here who has posted before and after and correct trimming photos.

For the time being here is a link to hoof care on one of our general health pages. Click Here

One thing about miniatures is that it is imperative to keep them trimmed and do not let anyone leave them with too much heel.

Best thing is a GOOD farrier. One who has had training on how to trim for correct balance, as well as health issues such as white line, thrush, founder. One of the things many farriers do is leave WAY WAY too much heel, which causes them to stand up like on soda cans, forcing them "over" at the knees, which is painful for the horse. I've owned horses for over 50 years, have watched as they trimmed thousands of feet over that period of time, and would never trim my own unless I went to an in-depth class. I have fired 4 farriers - one I threw off the property because he just was incompetent. Just because they have a hoof nipper and a rasp doesn't mean they should be anywhere near a horse.
Thanks! Can you share pics of your horses hooves? I assume you are happy with your current farrier?

I don't have any pictures but I do have this drawing, showing correct angles.

hoof_angles.jpg

I agree about having a good farrier rather than trying to do it yourself without any training. I tried to rasp hooves myself for a while, and my horse kept ending up with flares. I don't even touch them anymore; I wait for the farrier. We are on 4 week appts.

Some horses have a naturally upright hoof; it is really hard to get their heels down. My avatar horse is like that. If he goes too long without a trim, his hooves turn into coffee cans.

I have taken clinics, read books, watched dvds and learned from my farrier. He is quite comfortable with me rasping in between trims and has made the comment that I should just do him myself. But I prefer not to. if I don't rasp between trims he grows an incredible amount of heel. I have looked at some other threads where people post pics and ask for advice and there seems to be alot of responses from people who sound very knowledgeable so I was hoping for pics of those horses to compare to my guy!

barefoothorse.com and ironfreehoof.com are two sites that I have used to learn a ton about the structure, function, and balance of hooves. I started trimming my riding horse and my minis myself 6 years ago when my good farrier retired and I went through a series of poor farriers. I decided it was as much my fault as theirs that I wasn't happy since I didn't know how to tell if the job was done correctly or not. After a lot of reading and studying I started trimming. I would take pictures and email to my old farrier for critique and he was happy to give advice.

My biggest challenge with the mins has been, as stated above, keeping that heel down. Minis, not weighing much, tend to grow a lot of heel. They need to have low heels just like any other horse and you need to keep on top of it. It's all about balance.

As for a farrier, stay far away from anyone that uses power tools on a mini. If you are good at what you do and comfortable with the tools of the trade you should never need to use power tools to trim a hoof IMO.

How much collateral groove depth do you usually see in your healthy minis?

Im another that will recommend getting a good farrier. They are hard to find but worth their weight in Gold.

A Good farrier will talk you through each hoof as they go along. I was thinking the other day that Its 10 years now since I have been using this farrier. He is very punctual, talks me through each hoof and isnt in a rush to get to his next app.

Develop a great working relationship with your farrier , I consider mine to be part of my horsey family , as Im sure yours will be over time
default_smile.png

How much collateral groove depth do you usually see in your healthy minis?
About 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch in the front, and 3/4 or just a little more in the back.

Yes, those are great websites to learn from. Be sure you understand everything completely before you attempt. Trim less and more often for full size, minis hooves grow slower so needs trimming less often. A little at a time to keep mistakes from hurting your horse.

Take them for walks as often as possible on hard abrasive surfaces and their hooves will trim themselves to some extent. The hard dry surface will promote healthy hoof growth by improving circulation inside of the hooves.

My full size I "wild horse" trim and she's done great on longer road rides(8-10mi) but then again, she's never been shod.

Just read, research and thoroughly understand internal hoof structure, how all the internal and external parts work together and take your time.

barefoothorse.com and ironfreehoof.com are two sites that I have used to learn a ton about the structure, function, and balance of hooves. I started trimming my riding horse and my minis myself 6 years ago when my good farrier retired and I went through a series of poor farriers. I decided it was as much my fault as theirs that I wasn't happy since I didn't know how to tell if the job was done correctly or not. After a lot of reading and studying I started trimming. I would take pictures and email to my old farrier for critique and he was happy to give advice.

My biggest challenge with the mins has been, as stated above, keeping that heel down. Minis, not weighing much, tend to grow a lot of heel. They need to have low heels just like any other horse and you need to keep on top of it. It's all about balance.

As for a farrier, stay far away from anyone that uses power tools on a mini. If you are good at what you do and comfortable with the tools of the trade you should never need to use power tools to trim a hoof IMO.

Is this topic still alive? And I'm not sure whether you're feeling like learning or whether you're trying to save.

When we started with minis, I thought hooves looked pretty easy. ...well, except I don't have the hand-strength to work the snipppers. And my husband said NO way in heck was he going to try. But I do try to save a buck when I can. ...not on hooves, though.

I treasure my farrier. I tip him 5 bucks a head. And when Baby had issues, it hugely paid off, if only from the ease of use, because our farrier had a working relationship with the vet hospital people.

I have a farrier who is very good and I have no plans to start trimming myself. I do feel like I would like to know more detailed info on mini hooves and talk with my farrier about things we can do better. I think there is always room for improvement. For example, collateral groove depth- 3/4" is "normal" for a healthy full sized horse but seems like too much for a mini(imo). Pete Ramey says 5/8" for smaller horses but I was wondering what healthy minis average or what you are seeing in your minis

We currently have 27 Shetland ponies. 2 are new (March 2017) colts, 2 are May 2016 fillies & 2 2015 yearlings (Sept/Dec). I have never seen the exact same depths as what you are mentioning and it is one of the problems I have with some of these "big name" book writers and promoters of certain types of trims.

Our ponies range in size from 35.5" to 14.1 HH (57") at the withers and each hoof is individual. Though there are similarities (and should be close to the same on the two front hooves and then the two back hooves of one pony), those measurements are VERY general.

I have found that some of ours are almost completely flat in the collateral groove area - especially at the toe. The ponies with the deepest grooves at the frog - almost always has contracted heels (at that point) and sore heel bulbs. When the hoof is trimmed to relieve/open up a contracted heel, then the collateral groove shortens at every point along the frog. When a ponies' hoof is getting ready to shed the sole, especially at the toe area or the front of the frog, then the collateral groove also shortens & when they've shed a portion of the sole - either on their own or with the help of a hoof knife - then that collateral groove becomes a bit deeper, even if only by 1/8".

Some of our ponies have very wide collateral grooves and some have much narrower but I have not found that to be indicative of any hoof issues. Some have "meatier" frogs, too, but I haven't noticed that that changes the width of the collateral groove EXCEPT when the frog is shedding. Then the collateral groove is partially covered/filled in by the shedding portion until it's fully shed, then it returns to the same width as before shedding the frog.

I can't say how much side wall flaring has to do with the depth of the collateral grooves. We have several ponies that will flare sideways at the 4 week mark, the 6 week mark and some not until they hit 12 weeks between trims. Have one mare that once or twice a year she will do a bad flare (front AND back) and so she'll get trimmed again at the 4 week mark, then go back to a roughly 8 week rotation. Others have never had side wall flares. I've noticed rings for every major "stressor" - our move 2 years ago when we moved 20 miles and the ground completely changed (along with the pasture or rather the lack there of!! Much more acerage but SAND that didn't support enough grass for them). Major weather events - Hurricane Matthew last fall, the freeze in January and the freeze in February (right after hitting 86* in January). I'm pretty sure we'll see rings around all/most of the ponies' hooves after this crazy weather in March, too. We've had days where it warmed into the 80's with grass growth that they went crazy on (not enough in the sand right now to worry about) then dropped below freezing again!

Our farrier is coming out tomorrow and I will try to get pictures. We are planning on trimming the 3 youngest fillies (2 in May 2016 & Dec 2015), a 2013 stallion that is about 41/42" tall and a 2011 stallion that is about 39/40" tall. May do the one mare that gets the crazy flares - she just foaled last week & her new colt is 7 days old today - and remove some of his toe as well (awww - his first trim) and yes, his name is Guinness Stout!

I also want to add this -

When I/we started with the Shetlands in 1995 up in MT, no "real" farrier would do the "*!??!" mini horses. We'd had our 3 yr old stallion for a little while and he had an abscess "blowout" right at/above his coronet band on his left hind leg. The vet commented that he really was overdue for a trim all the way around (I knew that) and when we hauled him in to the clinic for him to clean out the abscess, while AJ was asleep on the SX table, he did all 4 hooves. I, of course, asked if he'd trim up the little mare as well. His comment - "NO, not unless we have some reason to operate, but this is why most farriers won't do them. I recommend that you get some tools, some books and learn to do them yourself. If you can get to one of these farrier schools, this one and that one are GOOD..."

It took forever for that abscess to heal and in the meantime, AJ became VERY BAD about allowing that leg to be handled, lifted off the ground. He'd tuck it up behind his left front hoof, dropping his left hip down and almost dog sitting - every time you went to handle that left hind leg. He'd even sometimes put it down in between his two front hooves and stand like that. It was not funny to watch him learn to balance like that - when we were trying to get him trimmed. Then in April 1997 we moved to NC and the first several farriers agreed to do the small ponies' hooves but they all wanted to beat the stuffing right out of AJ. That didn't work for me and I was stuck doing him. I found the easiest way to draw up that leg was to put a rope around it and pull it up and out BEFORE he had it between his front legs. Didn't always happen , though, LOL. Then I found a farrier willing/able to do the small ponies (she was a tiny woman and could get under my babies, too) - and she worked with me to do the hooves on the babies and youngsters and on AJ.

She went thru a divorce and moved on, so I went the rounds again finding a farrier that would work on the little ones and it was never easy. Even NOW - 20 years later - here in NC, if you say that you have Shetlands or Minis, a lot of farriers say "No Way". Others will come out - but both men and women have been "bristly" - like they are coming out to get into a fight - "well, you know, you have them thar, NASTY SHATLANDS..." . Others talk a good show, start to do a trim and if doing AJ and he yanked his leg away (he finally got to the point we could do his hooves w/o dogsitting, but he then broke off a piece of his hip bone and now & then it would bother him or maybe he didn't like some of the farriers I called to come out??), they blew up - yanking his leg and pounding on him. They didn't come back out... I did more trims on him myself. Then first Austin came along (active duty Army - trimming hooves as a sideline) and he was AWESOME - even tho he was not a small guy. He'd get down on the ground and do hooves if needed. We even had one colt that wanted to lay down when he did his hooves - he did them upside down and we'd get him up to check... Happened a few times. AJ and he seemed to get along GREAT. Then he had to go out of state (duty called) & he recommended someone.

Well, she came out (I already sorta knew her as an acquaintance) and it's been up/down. I don't always agree with everything she says/does. Sometimes I ask her to do something different OR she makes recommendations to me. That started in 2011 and she is still our farrier. She comes out 1-3 times a month. From the time she started until June 2012, she and AJ had an interesting relationship - she stated that she/he would have a GREAT day or a SO-SO day by the way he pointed his ears (I never saw that) and sometimes she asked to do him first and others last. Sometimes he gave her 7734 (he would dog sit & sometimes yank the leg away, after which he snapped a hard kick forward & out<cowkicking>, regardless of what I did while holding him), and others he was quiet and solid as a rock - practically holding each leg up for her before even asked for...

I do posts now and then with Cat's pics. I've learned much and YES, she does follow some of Pete Ramey's info but also does other things as well... It's good to learn more about your horses hooves and the requirements. It's amazing how much there is to learn and what new things we are discovering.

Back