Healthy Hoof Photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Since we brought our 1st girl home in early April, we've had the farrier out twice. Each time, he deemed their hooves to be in good condition with a note the first time around that the mare (whom we had had one day at that point) seemed to be a little long since her last trim.

With all my research, I'm trying NOT to become too paranoid about their hooves but I do recognize hoof care is extremely important.

So, would anyone be willing to share some photos of their mini's hooves for me (and other newbies) to compare to our own horses? I've done some google searching but all that I can find are full-size horse hooves.

Thanks in advance!

Mini's hooves should look exactly like a big horse's hoof.

Andrea

Ditto on what disney horse said, should look exactly like a big horse feet, and they do suffer the same problems as big horses. Last year with the wet weather I was plaqued with white line separation issues and some thrush and my guys were growing toe very fast between trimmings. I put pea gravel several inches deep in a paddock where my guys loaf at night. Since putting in this pea gravel my guys feet are awesome. They practically take care of themselves. My farrier showed me the trimming he took off their feet this past week and said they have absolutely no white line issues, he said they have amazingly healthy feet. He said we have achieved hard bare feet with out dryness. We had a terribly wet spring followed by no rain, and my guys still have no thrush, have perfect depth to their soles, healthy frogs and no white line issues whatsoever. I am so glad I put in the pea gravel . Last year my guys would tippy toe over rocks and were getting sole bruises, now they can trot over rocks and their feet look perfect. I have trouble posting photos so I am settling for a verbal description, will post some foot photos if I can figure it out. My guys angle of the hoof as said before is in a perfect line with the pastern angle. Between trimmings this angle does not change as my guys don't grow imbalanced with too much toe since using the pea gravel. best wishes.
default_saludando.gif

If you go to my website Maple Mountain Minis I have an article on my education pages about Miniature Horse hoof trimming. It is loaded with photos of what, and what not, to look for.

Back