Health E-Z Hay Feeder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
I was at the PA Horse Expo this past weekend. I talked to a sales man about this hay feeder - Health E-Z Hay Feeder. It basically looks like large laundry basket with extra large holes on front and back. The sides of the holes are not sharp, very much rounded for animal protection. It's hung by a rope cord with a 250 lb pressure snap on the top to keep it closed.

I said to the sales man - "I can just see one of my minis getting a foot caught in one of those holes and panicing, to only break a leg or do some serious damage to themselves." He told me that he hasn't heard of a horse getting hurt yet with one of these - may put their foot through the hole and end up wearing the feeder like a boot until someone gets the foot out and the horse not panicing- still didn't sound safe to me!

The sales man said that he had a miniature horse breeder from the midwest buy one to try out for his herd - the breeder came back and bought 34 more! He said the breeder had over 30 minis.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.healthezhayfeeder.com/index.html

Let me know what your thoughts are! I've considered it but still not sure how safe it would be. Safety is my main concern, saving hay is a whole other concern!

Thanks!

Becky M.

Keystone Star Minis

I can see your concern. I'm not sure if it would slow down hay consumption as much as a regular slow feed haynet would and plus its more expensive. Personally I would not purchase this product. What I've liked is a slow feed haynet thats $12 and has a 5-star rating. Sadly right now its on back order but would love to get more and I got the small nets. The only pro about this product is it would be a lot easier to load the hay, other then that its IMO more dangerous, and a lot more expensive at $45 and it's a 4-star rating.

Here are the nets that I have:

http://www.jefferspet.com/slow-feed-haynet/camid/EQU/cp/0040519/cn/25593/

I've had one for 2-3 years. I had two, but I killed the hinges on the first one over stuffing it with loose hay off a round bale (trying to fill it for two), and the extreme cold temp helped me kill it (it didn't take it too well when I threw it across the yard in frustration - the hinges were stretched out). [Don't know if the color made a difference in how well it holds up, but the first one was blue and the second is green; the blue one is the one the hinges got stretched on.] I still like it and would probably still recommend it. I've had 3 different mares eating from it at different times and not had any problems with them sticking their hooves in and getting stuck (at least not to my knowledge). I have noticed that sometimes they'll rub a bit of hair off the bridge of their nose, but nothing major (and it might only happen in winter when they are extra fuzzy). Right now an 8 year old mare and her 4 year old daughter are sharing it and another feeder.

you know what they say about horses...if they can find a way to hurt themselves they will....not a product I'd buy as there are better, safer things available...IMO...

Sandi

I saw these, but the wide open spaces on the plastic - doesn't make itself useful to our small equine, that's just my opinion.

I would not buy it-don't like the holes(an accident waiting to happen for Minis)I feed nothing off the ground here-too much sand.I use hay bags with a hole or racks with feed trough underneath.These are expensive, but cheaper than 1 or 2 vet calls

I really cannot see the point- I do not use hay bags for the same reason! I use racks or small hole nets and I can then give them enough for a number of days and not worry about any waste.

Hi! I was at the expo too. There was also the ones that looked like tall garbage cans with the insert, glad I got to see those in person, not too impressed with those either. I did get one from here

http://thenaturalfeeder.com/

Actually it was the last one a distributor had, not at the expo, in NJ. Came with all three grate systems. A bit pricey, but very well constructed. I am trying to get two more, she said she doesn't like to order unless she has people lined up to get them, i refuse to pay that much on the shipping for one or two If I had enough people to go in, I would get a pallet of six so it offset the shipping. I really like it, the minis do well with it too, nice size, you can move it around or take it with on a trip if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't use them. Anything with holes would worry me. I also couldn't use hanging feeders, as I prefer that my horses eat with their heads down. From what I can tell, the feeder that Carolyn posted works the same way as the feeder my husband built for me does. My feeder has been a God-send and I could never feed hay any other way now.

Hi! I was at the expo too. There was also the ones that looked like tall garbage cans with the insert, glad I got to see those in person, not too impressed with those either. I did get one from here

http://thenaturalfeeder.com/

Actually it was the last one a distributor had, not at the expo, in NJ. Came with all three grate systems. A bit pricey, but very well constructed. I am trying to get two more, she said she doesn't like to order unless she has people lined up to get them, i refuse to pay that much on the shipping for one or two If I had enough people to go in, I would get a pallet of six so it offset the shipping. I really like it, the minis do well with it too, nice size, you can move it around or take it with on a trip if need be.
Now that looks kind of cool. The only problem I see with it is it may be a little too tall for minis.

Thanks for the input everyone! I do agree with you - definately not safe for minis! I just see way to many bad things going wrong with that feeder, especially since minis (at least mine anyway!) are always getting into something. I like my horses to feed naturally with their heads down but still trying to save hay and cost at the same time.

Carolyn, I did see the one you bought - just looked to big and bulky and my minis would have fun trying to pull that top cover out of the tub!

Any suggestions as to what the best slow hay feeder is for minis? I've seen the ad for the little hay pillow - I could still see problems happening.

Thanks again!

Becky M.

Nope, works great. My retired stud, now gelding is only 31.25" and my mini mare is "b" size, works great for both. They have no problem reaching down inside when it is low on hay. The feeder and the insert are both heavy enough that they stay put. Trust me, if my super inquisitive 10 month old gypsy colt can'tthey It apart, it's not going anywhere. There is another that stateline tack carries, but it has a metal grate and is put together with screws, neither of those features were appealing to me. Love that this one perfectly fits one 40-60 pound bale.

I Am also a fan of the busy snackers. I would suggest getting the larger ones with the small holes. You don't have to wrestle to get the hay into the bigger bag and the top can be mounted higher, keeping the openings far beyond the reach of their feet and heads.

I have a homemade one like Carolyn's.

IMG271.jpg

It works great on all sizes of minis. I also use the slow feed hay nets for the large bails and the small nets for the single feeds.

Added: in the feeder is a mesh wire grate to slow the eating down. I have them in all the feeders.

I dont like the first one either......

I do love the other one that will hold 1 bale. it looks to me like it would be pretty easy to make. But holy cow is it expensive..crazy so. Almost insultingly so...guess if i want something like that I will have to try to make it

I know of people who have used them with big horses, and the plastic rubbed their muzzle raw where their muzzle fit into the openings.

My mother uses it for her appy big horse. He's a dunker, who doesn't do it as much with a hay net, however, he woudl destory hay nets, bags, etc, pretty much everything made of cloth.

She LOVES it. Hard to break, the plastic is "soft-ish" so to speak, and has a pretty god amount of flex. Easier to fill than a hay net, and the holes are big enough for his dainty muzzle not to get rubbed. it's almost 2 yrs old, and he still hasn't destroyed it. Hay bags usually lasted, eh, a week?

However, I would NOT use it on a mini. The holes are too big! I could see my little man getting his head stuck .
default_rolleyes.gif

However, I am waiting for the day they make a mini sized one!

Latest posts

Back