Heads Up: NEW West Nile Vaccine!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to know that there is a new West Nile Vaccine available from Intervet.

Already talked to my vet, he 100% agrees it is now the leading WNV vaccine available.

I've already ordered mine from Heartland Vet Supply, you have to call and ask, they don't have it listed on the site.

It's a bit pricier at $99.95 for a 5 dose vial, but my vet and I feel it's worth it. I've used the Merial Recombitek in the past.

Here is a link for the website for the vaccine: Prevenile

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit pricier at $99.95 for a 5 dose vial, but my vet and I feel it's worth it.
Yer breakin my heart...I pay $30.(CN) per, already...can't imagine what this would cost me...I will have stick with the old one. I can hardly afford all the shots as it is; and I administer them myself. It is rediculous.

Yeah, I paid $31 per dose for my FD combo shots last year--that's over $150 for 5 doses. I think the Merial was $28 each for just the WNV.

first i would call and see if it was tested on miniatures. also here is what it says about pregnant mares. After what i went thru ill skip any new vaccines until they have been tested all the way through.

Of the 919 horses vaccinated, 229 were 4 months of age or younger, and 302 were pregnant mares, including 17 mares in the first trimester of gestation, 11 mares in the second trimester of gestation and 274 mares in the third trimester of gestation. No post vaccinal adverse events were observed in any of the foals or mares. Studies to continue to evaluate safety in these mares through foaling are ongoing. The results of this study show the vaccine to be safe when used to vaccinate horses 4 months of age or older by the intramuscular route.

Good Idea Kay, I will call and see if they tested on Miniatures.

I'm not sure if Merial did with their Recombitek which is what I used for the last 3 years........Hmmm, never thought to find out.

No worries on the pregnant mare front, since I'm not breeding anymore.

My vet didn't have any qualms with me giving it to my minis, so I'll try it and let you all know how it goes. Though I'm not giving it until March
default_yes.gif
:

Just looked at the Merial Recombitek label and according to their info they never tested it at all on pregnant mares. And their studies were done on a much smaller number of horses than the study Intervet did for the Prevenile.

I'll call both places tomorrow and see if either tested on Minis.

I never had a problem with the Merial, no reactions except one or two sore necks in 3 years of use.

I'm only switching to the new one because according to my vet it's more effective and we have lots of mosquitos here and a few of my horses don't tolerate fly spray.

The new vaccine is much better than the previous because they have had the necessary time now to develop it correctly. The previous was done in a hurried fashion because of the outbreaks so they had to work fast. This one is made to be given with no boosters even if it's the first time your horse has ever had one.

I just had my minis done, actually all my horses, with it 2 weeks ago and no problems. We had injection site reactions happen with the previous version of the vaccine but no problems at all with the new one. We have a real issue with WNV here and have had a lot of dead birds test positive even as recently as a month and a half ago. There is not a choice to avoid it here so I'm glad we have a better option now.

Thanks for the info.

I just got a catalog in todays mail. It will be my reading material tonight.

Now that's just funny.......when I looked at Agri-Med yesterday before ordering they didn't have Prevenile listed........Oh well, only a couple of dollars, but Heartland would have matched that price anyway, they are doing a price match right now, and were really great about matching all the other prices I found.

Freeland, no prescription is necessary. I've been able to order either of the other two available WNV with no prescription.

This is the best WN vaccine on the market! It is pricey, but I will try to scrape up the $$$ and vaccinate all of my horses with it.

The safest bet is to not vaccinate mares when they are pregnant. Vaccinate after they foal and before they are bred back.

I remember last year, several of us that used the Recombitek(Merial) had reactions at the injection site. In almost every one of my horses, they got lumps at the injection site. I wanted to switch from Fort Dodge which I had used in previous years, because the Recombitek offered more solid, longer lasting protection, didn't need boosters and would last an entire year. I would be interested in this new vaccine if there were less injection site reactions and all other things were equal to or better than the Recombitek. Does anyone know if this will be available in Canada this year?

Hey Charmed minis, Agri Meds website is weird. I went to look for a couple of different vaccines and I would just go to vaccines and some would show up , then the next time I went a whole different selection would show up.
default_wacko.png
: I finally found what I wanted by either just putting it in the search bar on their site or looking for Intervet vaccines.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Robin

Back