He acts SO studly, saw vet at fair and he...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
him coming home here for a farm call and said they can't tell unless they take tests.(To see if he's proud cut)

Has anyone else had their gelding checked for this? Are the tests expensive?

Buddy now has starting biting at will, and we don't allow anyone to feed him anything by hand. Even a reward treat is given in his feed tub or the ground..

he gets soundly discplined for biting but does it anyway..also curling lips at mares at times "tasting" the air
biggrin.gif

He wonderful "free" spirit I love is getting tiresome when every time out is a battle, won't stand still to work him for halter, wants grass ALL the time which I don't allow. He out there to work, not eat.

Yesterday Buddy was in cross ties getting groomed, another girl took SHoetcake out, walked behind him and he decided to go too!

Went crazy and even was able to pull out of his grooming halter which is almost too small! He was loose which isn't a problem cause he stops at the first patch of grass and easily allows you to come up and get him.

This guy never spooks, loves grooming, falls asleep during clipping, bathing, great for farrier, vet..great in trail as he's not afraid of anything.

He's our love and so sweet and comical but this biting HAS to stop..I'm ready to cold cock,him! After all I never let my children bite and never had another horse that did this..it's got worse with Meghan who shows him, so barring a stun gum what can we do to break him of this?

I guess I will have him checked, several people at the fair thought he's not completely gelded, but I personally think he's just a brat! He RARELY tries to bite me or my hubby, well he weighs between 265-270 and is SO strong! Can you say Roadster?
smile.gif
Once we get the cart and harness believe me he'll be way too tired to misbehave! But can't afford one right now. Maxine

Maxine, I've gotta have my 2 year old gelding checked too, I guess. Got him a pasture buddy (yearling filly) that I can't even put him in with because he's acting so studly (tried to mount her both times I took him in with her). I don't have the biting problem, but I agree, it's terribly frustrating. Contacted his former owner and was told there were no problems at gelding time.

If you have him checked please let me know what they find.

How long ago was he gelded, Maxine?

For the first months or two after he was gelded, Mingus was actually much worse than before. Then hie turned into the sweetie that always lay beneath that studly behavior.

They can take much longer for the hormones to totally clear their system...6-9 months is what I've been told.

I have a gelding who was 3.5 at removal, now about 6 and he STILL acts like a stud !
new_shocked.gif
When mares are next to his fence and in heat, he does all the posturing and drops. Now, I do not run him with them but, he wants to mount -- he'll try to stand on hind legs to get to them, etc.

There is no doubt that he was fully dropped and both those huge babies were removed before my very eyes -- I was there holding his legs apart for the vet!!!!

MOST loose the studiness, I guess a few don't. He isn't a problem with any other type behaviour. This fall I'm have two more gelded and the three of them can learn to live with one another! Neither of those stallions are behaviour problems now. Oh, NONE of the 3 have ever been allowed to bred, used for teasing, etc.

I have a 2 y.o. gelding that was gelded at 6 months. He still will try to ride the other horses(he doesn't care if it's a boy or girl either). I also have a late 20's big horse gelding that still has stallion traits...have no idea when he was gelded but I've had him 14 years. I think there are male hormones they still get from sources other than their testicles, so even gelded they're still "boys". Stun gun sounds interesting though.........just kidding! Hopefully he's just going through a "testing you" phase and if you're consistant he'll grow out of it. Good luck though!

It sounds to me like he is spoiled or getting that way! You MUST not allow this behavoir with him. Whether he is cut, not cut, proud cut or whaterver! Testing him is not going to solve any problems at this point.

You must be firm with him and mean it. Say NO! Snatch his lead if you have to. Do not use terms like, "no no don't do that, you bad boy". Say NO! and mean NO!

I have had a couple like that but one in particular that was that way. He would snap his head down so fast and bite my shins I did not even expect it. When I did expect it he did it anyway, and so fast at it too. He would rear up at me, would try to strike me. I could NOT turn my back on him in his paddock he would come behind me and rear, strike me. or try to knock me down. He was terrible. I cannot even tell you what I thought of doing with him!

I talked to a trainer who told me this: He has no respect for you. You have spoiled him. He thinks you are one of his horse buddies. He needs discipline! Get a dog chain and wrap it completely around his nose through the halter. Handle him at all times with it on with the lead attached to it. When he bites, snatch it fast, hard, quick one time and say no! Get his attention. Make him stand and do not move. If he moves, snatch the chain/halter and say no! Tie him up to a fence, panel or whatever with the chain around his nose, tie him short and high. Leave him there. For a few hours. Do it daily. Work him the round pen with lounge line and chain/halter. When you say whoa and he does not stop, snatch the lead, say whoa, and mean it! If he reaches out to eat when you are leading him, snatch the chain. Again a quick, fast, hard tug. NO! It took me about two weeks of constant work with this colt , but I got him out of it. Today he is pocket pet with manners, he respects me and others, he is alert and kind. He is not fearful, head shy lor body shy and trusts people.

Horses like this are dangerous to be around, whether they are miniatures or big horses. They must respect you and others.

** I would not put a horse with no manners in any kind of a cart. First the ground work, then the fun. Working him hard in the round pen should help his attitude too. A very long trot time and then tie him to the fence. He will get the idea. When he's good don't forget to reward him.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
What the vet will check is his testosterone levels--if both testicles have been removed it will will be very low; if he has a retained testicle it will be much higher. We do the same thing with dogs and cats when there is a question.

Tango was gelded 1 month ago back on the 12th. Four days ago I put him in the arena with a lil mare about his size (I kept him on a longe line so I could still have control over him). They sniffed noses, scratched necks, and just became the best of buddies. I turned him loose with her the second day and left them to "work it out". The mare gave him a couple good kicks to show him who was boss, but now there is rarely any squealing or kicking. Tango walks around behind her, sniffing her back legs, her tail, and then "tasting the air", as you said. Yesterday he mounted for a spilt second and drop right back down (he wasn't even drop out and "ready" to breed). He just doesn't have the urge anymore.

You should probably get your guy tested just to be sure. I hope all turns out well. Just give him some time, he should be fine.

Erin
saludando.gif

PS Tango has bred before and produced a foal. He also bred this same mare last year, but she didn't take.

Back