HDT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
We made it through our first HDT . We arrived Fri. about 2, unloaded everything. I bought a pop up shelter because they were calling for rain and there were only paddocks for them to stay in not stalls. Just as we finished setting up we had a nasty thunderstorm come through, Abby stayed under her shelter nice and dry. We hitched up and went for a little drive Friday night, she was ready to go! The dressage ring was next to a goat and cow farm. She was going nicely until she saw the goats, reared up, refused to go to that long side. A nice woman came over and lead Abby to the fence to look at the goats she did better but still not great. From there we went out into the first part of the marathon course ( we were allowed to school the marathon course before the show because it was a schooling show) were there were more cows, she looked at them but didnt spook. My friend was coming up on the far side of the field and we headed over there just as I turned away from the cows one took off running and bucking, all I can say is thank goodness I have blinkers! After I unhitched I walked her over to get a very close look at the goats, she checked them out big time. After that back to her paddock for the night.

Sat. morning was pretty warm, I walked her over to the goats one more time, she did O.K. We hitched and away we went there were only 2 of us in training level VSE. I watched the first one go she drove a pretty nice test. Abby and I were up, we nailed centerline, nice halt, preceded to C and about 8 feet before we got there she put on the breaks and reared up . The judge had her BIG tan dog under the tent she was sitting at I think she thought is was a goat. I figured well thats it we just blew the class , we moved on she had a little spook by A where another horse was warming up, she hears the noise of them behind her and scoots out. She bowed out on our circle at C to get away from the dog, had a nice long walk, had a great halt at C finally without spooking and stood for 5 sec. we finished well, all in all I was pleased. The scores were posted and we WON ! I couldnt believe it! We ended up with at 55.45.

On to cones, we had 17 with some pretty tight turns, we went clean, but way to slow, so we were accessed time penalties ended up second.

I took her back out about 7 that night to do a part of the marathon I hadn't done Friday, she was so on the muscle, she moved out at the trot like she was on fire, it was GREAT!

Sunday our time out was 9:38, my son came to film us and take pictures. I always hitch by myself, she usually stands like a dream, not today, she was so ready he had to head her just so I could finish getting ready! Over to the start for my safety check she wouldn't stand for that. I had to keep her walking before our time. They started the count down, got to 15 seconds my heart was beating out of my chest and then they radioed to hold me up there was a problem at hazard 1 Waited another 3 minutes and finally off we went. She was so strong I really had to hold her, to keep the trot. We were a minute ahead at the 1K marker so I slowed her down. She did great at the first hazard nice and smooth. Second hazard which I practiced 3 times I messed up C. From there we went into the woods with some swamp mud, she moved herself away from that, it was pretty deep. Hazard 3 was pretty smooth, more long trotting to hazard 4 which I tried a pretty tight route and she did great, after that it was home free, I ended up walking after hazard 4 because I thought we were pretty fast and she did so good I wanted to give her a break. We were allotted 24:20 we came in at 21:51. She could have gone again! She cooled out great. We did get eliminated because at hazard 2 I messed up C. I had a great time and met lots of nice people who helped me.

Here are a few pictures.....

HDT508015.jpg

HDT508008.jpg

HDT508006.jpg

Kathy, thanks for sharing your story and photos! Perhaps one day I'll be able to do the same, in the meantime reading your story is inspiration for me to not chicken out from my goal of attempting a combined driving event of some sort!

Abby looks great, and like she's having so much fun!!

Jill - I think it stands for Horse Driving Trial ... we'll see if I'm right!

Last edited by a moderator:
great job, 55 is great for your first dressage test and she looks like she loves marathon!

Courtney

Great pictures!!! It looks like fun to me.

What does "HDT" stand for?

I was wondering too, short forms just not sure of yet? Everyone means something different

like LOL can mean :::: laugh out Loud or Love on line...
default_wub.png

I'm still learning the language too, HDT stands for Horse Driving Trial, ADT stands for Arena Driving Trial, CDE is Combined Driving Event. Kathy

Wow, she was really having FUN out there, wasn't she! I love the picture of her just truckin' along with her ears up looking excited. Your harness and leg wraps look very nice too.
default_yes.gif

Leia

Man oh man...that looks and sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
I don't think we have anything like that around here, but I'm sure going to check it out! Congrats on your dressage score...wonderful!

Looks like you guys had a great time!! The pictures are fun to look at. Thanks for sharing this adventure with us! I have yet to get Hershee hitched to the cart this season.....now that this busy weekend is over, now hopefully I'll have some time to enjoy driving him.

Latest posts

Back