Hay Question for Overweight Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniFan

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me and my little guy out! I have a 3yr. old, 29.5" tall gelding that is overweight. The vet says he's probably 25lbs overweight. When I weigh him with a weight tape it says 295lbs. I know these are not accurate, but just trying to give you an idea of his size. We live on a little over 1/3 acre and he just grazes in our yard from about 9am until about 8pm. The grass is eaten down so low, in some areas there's none! He then is brought into his stall and given no grain per vet's recommendation, but given Horse Guard supplement, daily dewormer, about a teaspoon or two of fresh ground flaxseed and his hay. Now, my main question is regarding the hay. When I first got him I was feeding him alfalfa/grass mix, which the vet said "no" to. She said it's too rich and causing the weight gain, so switch him to a grass only hay, which I did. He has been getting a nice, soft Orchard Grass hay, but no improvement. Now I have been told that Orchard Grass hay can be just as high, if not higher in calories than the alfalfa/grass he was getting. I was told to switch him to just a local hay. Am I doing the right thing? I want to make sure that he is getting all the nutrients that he needs, but also want to get some of the weight off him. I weigh the hay and he gets 2lbs per day total. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

I would be listening to your vet as they are likely the best judge of your horse's condition and nutritional needs.

That being said, make sure the weight does not come off too quickly, and a little exercise is not going to hurt your gelding, either.
smile.gif

Start slowly and work up. Sounds like you are on the right track. Be sure and use your fingers as well as your eyes to determine his weight condition. Checking along the topline and in the armpit area also the rib area for fattiness or lack thereof is important when minis get winter coats. You should barely be able to feel the ribs through his fat if he is in the right condition, with just a little bit of pushing.

If you feel ribs w/out pushing in, right beneath his skin, he could be too thin. If he feels "spongy" and soft all over, and no ribs or bony structures are easy to find, then he is likely too fat.

My feeling is that your vet is giving you the right advice. Orchard Grass hay can be very rich and if your horse needs to lose weight, then it would be good to use a less rich grass hay. If you find he loses too much weight, then you might want to mix in some Orchard Grass as well.

Best wishes,

Liz M.

I to have a little hefty gelding but IMO only.. yes grass hay can be as rich and as high in both calories , sugar and protien many people think just cause it is grass it is low protien that just isnt always the case but anyway

I would give him good quality hay and just less of it especially since there is little grass and in a couple months will be none

I felt like I tried just about every thing to get a 31" mare I had that was close to the "foundering weight" ( if your scale is correct)-that your boy seems to be in. She just seemed to hang on to her weight, although I took her off of grain also,- as per vet recomendations. Then I was told secret that I was reluctant to try.. It just seemed too simple.. So I told myself "Well, you've exhausted every other plan to get her to lose weight, why not?".. And it was so simple that it did not even require exersize.. It worked...- today she is a svelte image of what she used to look like, and is much healthier for it. although it did require some time.. The plan is only give them access, to pasture between 7 am to 2 pm, and if you feel the need" to do so, "minimal" grass hay, (burmuda) in the eve- on dry lot. and dont allow grazing durring the evening hours-... Now, this is why it works.. The sugar content starts to rise "into the grass" after 2 pm in most areas, and continues to peak towards the early AM hours..not returning to the root base til after 7AM or so. So in short the grass is higher in sugar content between 2PM and 7AM, and by keeping your mini off of it- durring those times will help him, by still allowing him to graze,but not get the weight gaining properties that is found in night time grazing. If your grass is sparce you can still offer grass hay in your pasture, to assure he is getting enough. It all about "timing" with pasture and controlling weight I have found.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back