Hay Cubes, etc.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
I've just recently switched over to balanced timothy hay cubes as I can't get good low sugar/starch hay.

He gets 1 lb am, 1 lb lunch and 1 lb dinner - all soaked - which he gobbles up!

Problem being, after he is finished with his cubes, he screams for more of anything!

He also has a toy that dispenses some cubes to occupy him, but when the cubes are gone, he's screaming again.

Those of you who solely feed cubes, do you have that problem and, if so, how do you fix it?

He can't go on pasture as he is IR, so he is in his stall most of the day with a bit of turnout in the roundpen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
default_smile.png

Suz

i feed alfalfa cubes. but here is what I feed.

am- 2 cups oats/ 1 cup wet beet pulp/ 6 oz cubes

noon- 6 oz cubes

pm- 2 cups oats/ 1 cup wet beet pulp/ 6 oz cubes

evening- 6 oz cubes

I do use a scale to weigh the cubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, it might take him awhile to get used to the idea of eating the cubes, so perhaps he'll slow down once he is used to the all cubed diet. Are you looking into any kind of low s/s hay, even if it isn't the best quality (clean, but maybe not the best quality) just for munch factor?

And, second, how much does he weigh? 3# cubes doesn't seem like much feed. I know there is less waste, so you can feed a little less cubes than baled hay, but we still need to at least his minimum daily needs (if this is his sole diet, then he should probably get 2% of BW daily, if he's an easy keeper, than perhaps 1.5%).

I've just recently switched over to balanced timothy hay cubes as I can't get good low sugar/starch hay.
He gets 1 lb am, 1 lb lunch and 1 lb dinner - all soaked - which he gobbles up!

Problem being, after he is finished with his cubes, he screams for more of anything!

He also has a toy that dispenses some cubes to occupy him, but when the cubes are gone, he's screaming again.

Those of you who solely feed cubes, do you have that problem and, if so, how do you fix it?

He can't go on pasture as he is IR, so he is in his stall most of the day with a bit of turnout in the roundpen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
default_smile.png

Suz

i feed alfalfa cubes. but here is what I feed.
am- 2 cups oats/ 1 cup beet pulp/ 6 oz cubes

noon- 6 oz cubes

pm- 2 cups oats/ 1 cup beet pulp/ 6 oz cubes

evening- 6 oz cubes

[SIZE=12pt]I was interested to know if this is what you feed all your horses and are the oats sweet??? I appreciate your response.[/SIZE]

yep, this is what they all get, most are all the same size or have more energy to burn. but there is NO SWEET FEED anywhere. just plain rolled/ crimped/ steamed oats, what ever you have in oats is great, but I prefer not to feed whole oats, passes thru them too easily. oh beet pulp is wet.

[First, it might take him awhile to get used to the idea of eating the cubes, so perhaps he'll slow down once he is used to the all cubed diet. Are you looking into any kind of low s/s hay, even if it isn't the best quality (clean, but maybe not the best quality) just for munch factor?]

Hi Chandab:

- I hope so. He does eat the cubes (which are soaked to a soupy mix) slower than he previously ate grain. I do have some low s/s hay that I use in between, but the the reason I switched to cubes is that I can only buy 1 or 2 bales at a time (which I then have tested). then, when I have to buy more bales, i have to test again and so on and so on.... all of this testing is adding up.

[And, second, how much does he weigh? (if this is his sole diet, then he should probably get 2% of BW daily, if he's an easy keeper, than perhaps 1.5%).]

- He needed to lose weight (which he has gradually) on 1.5% (3 lbs) a day (he currently weighs around 210 lbs), but I'm wondering if I should bump it up to 2% (4 lbs). I don't want him to gain weight as he is an easy keeper, but I don't want him to starve either....

- I hope so. He does eat the cubes (which are soaked to a soupy mix) slower than he previously ate grain. I do have some low s/s hay that I use in between, but the the reason I switched to cubes is that I can only buy 1 or 2 bales at a time (which I then have tested). then, when I have to buy more bales, i have to test again and so on and so on.... all of this testing is adding up.

Can you get Triple Crown products? Perhaps the TC Safe Starch product would work for him, its a bagged, fortified low s/s chopped hay product (I think its timothy hay and below 10% NSC). At least you wouldn't have to test every time you pick up bales, the product is already tested. Perhaps it would work for his hay munch factor, might not hurt to try a bag, if its available to you. http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/safestarch.php

I wish I had the option, I live in a horse feed free zone, trying to find decent horse feed is almost impossible and forget about specialty products like the ODTB cubes. Luckily, I do have a local Progressive Rep, he sells out of his garage, but he only carries limited products; I can't get hay pellets or cubes locally, at all.

Suz, I think this is his problem right here as to why he's screaming.

Don't forget horses are grazers and roamers and need to really run and let off some steam. I feel he is bored and needs a lot more out time. Does he have a buddy? Can you give him more out time somewhere with possibly soaked hay scatterd about where he can mimic grazing on it? Forced exercise in that round pen would be a plus.

Latest posts

Back