Hay CAN Be Too Good!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
So about a month ago I went into the barn one morning and saw that Lexus had been rolling in the night (stall was disturbed, straw all over her etc.). But she had her three normal piles of poo and was looking for food. Strange. So I fed her her ration balancer and turned her out with Willow and Levi in the paddock (which is a dry lot...my horses only get a few mouthfuls of grass to and from the paddock). She happily munched on her hay. Then an hour later I look outside and see her laying down....she never lays down outside...ever. I went out and noticed that her rate of respiration was elevated. Took her temp...normal. Talked with my vet and he said he's seen a few cases like this this year. I was so worried that it was colitis or something like what Royal died from and what Willow had two years ago. He said it sounded more like ulcers; I have no idea how she would have ulcers as she leads the most stress-free life a horse can lead, unless you count waiting to be turned out in the morning stressful lol. I got some omeprazole and something else for her and within 3 hours she was perfectly normal. So I got the suspension and she was on that for the month. Ulcer-free and happy
default_smile.png
. Phew!

I was getting low on hay a week after that episode, so I decided to get 6 bales from this new tack shop/feed store/hay supplier. I had heard that it was beautiful hay; they get it from out west. It's very expensive...$7.50/bale (that's expensive for us in Ontario). Heavy, green, rich-smelling grassy hay that falls apart when you cut it open. I was so excited to feed it to my guys. But...I fed it sparingly for those reasons. A day before my father's funeral ( the 13th) amd a week after being fed this hay Lexus comes out of the paddock extremely sore on her front feet :s. this is my girl that I've had since she was 10 months old (she's now 7) and has had 2 foals for me and has never been sick a day in her life....not even a change in her poo or anything....solid solid, healthy girl. My heart dropped. I immediately gave her some banamine and cold-hosed her feet. Took her off her ration balancer. Switched her hay to much less green stuff. After a few days of that she was 95% better. And, now, two weeks later she is normal and she's back on her ration balancer. I never thought that hay could induce a laminitic episode...but it did. Hay can be very high in sugars and carbs. So...even for those that are on a dry lot if hay looks too nice it just may be.....:s

So glad she got well for you. I don't feed mine the very green hay, I'm terrified of causing laminitis lol.

So glad to hear Lex was OK and you got it figured out so quickly.

On another note, Matt I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

First of all, condolences on the loss of your Dad.

My first riding horse (50 years ago) foundered for the first time on bread that the restaurant next door was feeding her without our knowledge. After that she would founder on any excuse - or even no excuse. I have a mini now that is insulin resistant so prone to founder that I feed Remiission. It is a magnesium - chromium supplement that is quite inexpensive but also the same as Quiessence so it can calm her down a bit much for showing. Probably not an issue if you aren't trying to show in 12-15 classes a day! I would highly recommend it for Lexus.

Thank You, Mona...I'm glad he's not in pain any more....but I sure do miss him everyday. Such a crazy roller coaster July was....

Glad Lex is ok - I do feed hay to my minis - timothy hay.

I am so sorry, though, to hear about the loss of your father :< I'm sure it's tough for you right now.

Liz N.

Absolutely! Actually I worry about some of the hay that is so well fertilized and grown so pretty. So many people worry about getting their hay wet in the rain but if you are worried about it being too rich, if the field is cut, then gets rained on before bailing, then dried and fluffed really good, it will still be good but also it will lower the sugars even more making it less rich. I'm so glad Lexus is doing so much better for you.

Also condolences on your father. I know that is a very difficult thing for you to go through. Hugs.

I agree with Marty but if you are ever in a position where you have no other hay to feed but that type or any other questionable hay then your best bet is to soak it for about an hour and then feed it to them wet. This will lower the sugar/carb level in the hay somewhat. Also do not give them access to the water that the hay was soaked in... too sugary!!

Also you may want to consider putting your girl on a low sugar/carb feed. Not sure what your choices are where you are located but I use Triple Crown Lite. It is actually lower sugar/carb than Triple Crown low starch...
default_giveup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry to read about your father... Your family will be in my thoughts...

Also I am very glad that Lex is feeling better.

Thanks all
default_smile.png

Yes, Jax, I feed a low sugar/carb feed (a ration balancer). Thanks
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back