Hay at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo Acres

Reaction score
I was just checking to see what everyone does for hay while they are at nationals. We took horses 2 years ago and heard of many people buying Alfalfa there for around 15.00 a bale. Do many of you buy there because you don't have the room to haul, or do you bring your own?

We will bring 3 horses this year and our own hay, but thought about bringing extra to sell to some people. Not sure if it is allowed to post selling hay down there or not. We have excellent quality hay, so much nicer than the stuff being bought down there. We would even sell it for quite a bit less than the 15.00 we seen there before.

Let me know what you think. We can't haul a lot, but thought it would help pay for gas. Any thoughts?

They sell feed / hay there? What brand(s) and types? Curious.

I would just bring my own hay, would hate to haul my horses all that distance and then give them some other type of hay or change that around. I guess thought if you will be needing 10'ish bales for the two weeks ..then maybe it would not be realistic to bring your own hay.

Yes they do sell hay both grass and alfalfa and I believe grain. I am not sure as to what kinds. I have only gone to nationals 2x and last year was without horses. I will always bring my own hay and feed because I have room. I think it is enough stress on horse without switching it's diet. I know for some people that take a lot of horses that it is not possible, and understand. Maybe someone that has purchased in the past could expand on what kind of feed they sell. I just know that 2 years ago the grass hay was around $8.00 a bale and so bad the horses from our area wouldn't eat it. The alfalfa wasn't much better. The thing to consider is the area you are from. Maybe horses from that area are used to that quality of hay, but up here it is so much nicer.

I just know that 2 years ago the grass hay was around $8.00 a bale and so bad the horses from our area wouldn't eat it. The alfalfa wasn't much better. The thing to consider is the area you are from. Maybe horses from that area are used to that quality of hay, but up here it is so much nicer.
We were in a drought two years ago, and even before that. So yes, the hay in OK was very poor and expensive.

I am taking 6 horses, and hauling my own alfalfa. I am very picky on the type I feed, want lots of leaf and very small stems. I didn't realize they also sold grain, but I always take mine.

You might want to email the Expo Center and see if you are allowed to sell hay while you are there. I know we all need help with the gas prices :arg!

I was just checking to see what everyone does for hay while they are at nationals. We took horses 2 years ago and heard of many people buying Alfalfa there for around 15.00 a bale. Do many of you buy there because you don't have the room to haul, or do you bring your own?We will bring 3 horses this year and our own hay, but thought about bringing extra to sell to some people. Not sure if it is allowed to post selling hay down there or not. We have excellent quality hay, so much nicer than the stuff being bought down there. We would even sell it for quite a bit less than the 15.00 we seen there before.

Let me know what you think. We can't haul a lot, but thought it would help pay for gas. Any thoughts?
Just for the record we will not be doing it this year. I was thinking out loud kind of thing and would want to really check into this while we were down there for the future.

I was more curious to see who has bought hay/feed while at nationals and what they thought about quality and pricing.

when I went to PtHA World in June, I am pretty sure the hay was 8 and 15 a bale, the price has not changed. you can call Pete's Feed and ask what they are charging now .

Latest posts

Back