Hawk's First Parade

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We went to a parade on Saturday. I took both horses. It was Hawk's very first parade. I can't believe he ever got to this point as he is VERY challenging to train to drive. I asked several people to use my camera to take pictures of him and didn't get a single good one of him actually driving in the parade.

We dressed him as an Indian pony and my sister dressed Western and drove the cart with the Oklahoma flag. You can't really see them in the picture, but he had feathers in his mane and forelock. He really looked fun and lots of people loved him and took his picture. It was a Rodeo parade and almost all horse participants.

He had two tiny tantrums, once when asked to stand and wait and once when asked to turn (our major driving challenge). But once he got underway he went without a bobble. He is fearless and not fazed at all by noise, vehicles or other animals. WE startled a few silly big horses, though!

carnagie1.jpg

carnegie2.jpg

My other horse, Dapper Dan, is a parade veteran. He is always photogenic. My main problem with him was all the nice grass around. I am thinking next time I will put the overcheck on him, instead of having to constantly correct him. As you can see, he is starving.

carnegie3.jpg

Today I take Hawk in for the skin biopsy, so hopefully I can find out if his skin condition is cureable. He is turning out to be such a good horse, so keep your fingers crossed that the biopsy is favorable. Trimmer came on Friday and his feet are growing out just great! Hawk is a rescue horse. I've had him 11 months. So don't give up on those guys--just give them a little more time to work out.

Sounds like you had a blast!

Both your boys are nice looking and kudos to you for rescuing Hawk...

Thanks for sharing...

It looks like it was a lot of fun
default_aktion033.gif

Was this by any chance at the worlds largest amatuer rodeo (Cavalcade I think they call it) Our friends took a mini they just got from me over there too. A black pinto gelding also named Hawk. It was his first parade (actually first time driving ouside of a show ring) And he was a champ.

Love the pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this wasnt' the same rodeo. Definitely not the largest rodeo! And we were the only driving horses. There were 3 other miniatures but they were ridden by children. This was in Carnegie, OK.

Love to have seen your Hawk driving!

Hawk looks awesome! For the parade yes, but also he also just does!
default_yes.gif

You've done wonderfully with him and I'm SO glad! Thank you for what you've done.

I never met him in person, but always had a soft spot for him.

You all looked great for the parade!

They look great Marsha! Love the way you decorated Hawk! Our county fair and rodeo will be coming up in August and I am planning to take a couple of my girls to meet the kids. None of them drive though. It looks like soo much fun.

They both look great. I love the hand print. Parades are the best and the "little horses" always seem to be the hit!! My guys dont like the stopping and going in the parades either. They always want to keep going!! I think they think they are going to miss something!!

Latest posts

Back