Have your breeding goals changed since you got started?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've changed a bit or maybe just learned more. I have been buying better and up greading my mares and stallions to ASPC/AMHR minis. My whole herd is double registered except 3 keepers.

I would have liked to stay with smaller ones but I love the leggy refined look and haven't really seen any A's that looked well balanced (in my opinion)....I want to look at a mini and have it a replica of a large horse........not a barrel with legs.
default_unsure.png
and yes I've had some like that and still have a keeper thats a tank.............
default_wub.png

Yup - my goals sure have changed over the years...I don't breed anymore!!!! Between dystocias and having a dwarf born a couple years ago, I decided I'm out...there's plenty of horses to chose from if I want any more.
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

Like a couple other folks... its not so much that all of our "goals" have changed, but thinking ahead to the future and wanting to be versatile in the small equine market, we expanded our horizon so to speak. But we breed for our own program... we just can't keep everything... and must maintain the "business" aspect of our venture.

I started in minis in 1999 and have always wanted to specialize in the Palomino color. I was first attracted to the smaller mini when we began our venture as many are, but since movement and performance is such an important factor in our breeding program... it just made more sense to go with a little more leg. It has always been the most important priority to have quality and correct confirmation, before color... so I've purchased the horses I feel were right for the program to breed towards the color part.

To have multiple registered horses between 33 and 36" is our goal. AMHA/AMHR/ASPC You never have to worry about the height thing... if a foal goes over 34"... they are a B, and possibly able to show either R or Pony. 34" or under can show A or R. The dilute colors will be forthcoming
default_biggrin.png

Boy have they ever changed! We started out in 1978 buying 2 mini's for our daughter as pets. One of them was a colt he is my first love
default_wub.png
Everything in life changed after getting the two for our "daughter" ha ha, the whole family is involved, all of our money and time too! We now show going to both Nationals and Congress. We pretty much stuck with mini's until 2007 we purchased a double registered mare and fell in love with her. Since then we have bought some ASPC only registered horses also. Pretty much trying to sell most of our mini only herd except for a special few (one of them being my guy mentioned above) and trying to get more AMHR/ASPC and ASPC.

Well, my first horses were minis however my first show horse was a foundation shetland gelding...

At first I was always more into the minis however I found my passion to be the shetlands. I just adore the "BTU" line and that is the focus of my miniature program that I am building however right now my biggest focus is on the shetlands. I love the Rock E and King Lee horses and I think they both will play a big part in my shetland program, its sort of hard to put into words the type of horse or pony you are picturing and wanting to produce when your program is just starting to come together. I love the taller ASPC classic shetlands ...

My plans have changed too! No more breeding for two years or so or maybe never.

I have no complaints about my stock. I got what I wanted which was a versitile using family oriented horse that can move with grace and is gorgeous as well as has brains. I don't want to change my formula because it works for me anyhow. Nick makes nice babies.

My problem is I found out I cannot handle a herd, even if its small. The way I love to fuss and groom daily has become a full time chore instead of fun. I have to keep after grooming daily and that includes cleaning 48 feet a day, not to mention cleaning over a dozen stalls a day. I will not cut corners but I can't do it anymore. Its a matter of a health issue now; I'm always sick, I have destroyed my back, bad disks, bad knees, artheritis, you name it and I'm just all busted up all the time. This is why I tried to sell down before winter hit. I cannot believe I am saying this.......but maybe show again a little bit. I really miss training horses for different things and I'd like to spend more time doing that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Marty I do feel for you. I too have cut back so that there was more time for family and the things that matter.

Other than the fun, taking good care of horses can be a full time job! That doesent pay like one, lol

My job at mare stare never went over well, as I was usually busy, and missed the births altogether anyway.

I was thankful that all my mares all birthed out sucessfully, ( as I know that isnt always the case) but I didnt like having my mind and time all tied up in marestare worry.

Now that my my mares have all sold to happy homes, I am down to my stallion, and a new colt, which require minimum attention to be happy.

These two are so content on our acre plus pasture property, doing what horses love most.. Being horses. lol

They are enough equine in my life to keep me satisfied, when I need my horsy fix, but not too much that it seems overwhelming, at times.

We always have people that send their mares to me for breeding in the spring, when the weather is nice, so things tend to get more exciting then.. as I enjoy taking care of other peoples horses.

Just seeing other folks get beautiful babies out of my stallion is enough satisfaction for me
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back