Have you seen this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseplay

Reaction score
I have to wonder if I had the money if I would do this? I have had some very special dogs in my life and it is so hard to say good bye when they go. I don't want this to get into debate about why it's right or wrong but if money was not an issue would you do it?

http://video.rr.com/?v=y3wjmOuZuca86BM4r7vssTUcnc07lMOq

Right or wrong, I would clone my Pood in a heartbeat, no question.

I didn't click on the link or anything, I just wanted to give you my opinion.

If money were not an issue...I don't think I would. To me, say, if my soul mate, which happens to be my horse, died, I would not clone him, as much I would want too. I think that that special horse was made just for me, at that moment, and only for a time. And to fully realize everything he has taught me, and will continue to teach me as he ages, I cannot have another JUST LIKE HIM.

In reality, I have no idea how I feel about cloning as an issue. I am on the fence. But personally, I would not do it.

It will be interesting to hear other opinions!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sassy died from cancer 9/17/05, she was only nine years old. She was my best friend and I still cry for her. I would have sold our farm for her life, I believe I would have sold my soul if possible so yes, I'd have given or done anything to have her cloned. In a heart beat. Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the cloning story on the news.

No, i feel strongly agianst this. If it would make some people feel better about loosing a pet, then maybe, but i coud never ever do it ....its not TO ME the same dog.

A few years ago an accident took one of my dogs lives. She was a special little dog. I have tears just typing this, I keep thinking about her since I saw this on the news. I bet our hearts feel similar Marnie. I understand what you are saying Leeana but I think if it would have been an option I would have had to try. Minik, I like how matter of fact you are
default_smile.png
. SammyL, I agree, it is interesting to see what others would do.

A copy of a Picasso is still just a copy and what if I did have my wonderful first dog, Matches, cloned? I wouldn't have gotten my wonderful second dog, Trapper, or Stella, or Danny, etc... Old things move on to make room for new things.

Probably not. I think that each experience in an animals life makes it the animals that it is. So even if you had an exact physical copy, the soul wouldn't be the same. As the second animal would be a clone, there would also be high expectations for it to be identical in every way, and you would certainly be setting yourself up for let down.

However, if I had a horse that had amazing physical conformation, wonderful movement, and a lot of talent(as in enough to go far in Dressage), I would probably consider. Although I would keep in mind that I was cloning for the physical, and not to expect the same personality.

Oh, I have no doubt that a clone wouldn't be the same Pood. I have two of his yearling pups that I'm keeping bouncing beside me on the couch right now, and neither of them is Pood, but since he sired them in a way they're kind of like my "grandpups." Not Pood, but close.
default_wink.png

Yup- I have my best horse and my best dog here and now- The dog was a pound hound, and was fixed at 7 weeks, and my mare has 2 foals to date, but it's not her-

So yes, if money wasn't an option, you bet your tail I would! Heck I'd clone me a whole herd of Sassy ponies!

At this time, I wouldn't but this is because the two animals I would want to clone (my parents' previous dog, Oliver and my current dog, Winston) both had/have serious health issues with bad hip displasia (and died of bone cancer) and issues with kidney / bladder stones (two surgeries to date). If not for the fear of repeating those issues, there's no doubt that I'd do it.

Wow......food for thought. You know, I see some of this stuff on the science/discovery channel/news, and I say I would absolutely get my dog Farley cloned.he is the only one, out of the 3 I have right now, and the many I have had over the years. No health issues.....ever. And he is my heart and soul....I cry at the thought of him dieing, and he is healthy and only 11. But, then....I step back and think.....it is not our place to do this, and I do think it is so wrong on so many levels....especially human cloning. but then, of course, that can be justified too.....with the organs you could reproduce, etc. So I guess my answer is, thanks God I cant afford it, because I would really be in a quandry in trying to make a decision. Hmmmm......

No, I wouldn't clone my dog. As much as I love him...I just think that each dog is an indivual, the clone will never be the same. The cloned dog wouldn't grow up with the same experiences, he'd be a different dog! So why would I clone my dog to get a dog that will only look the same. I'd rather get a new one (when I was ready) and give a home to a dog at the SPCA who really needs one rather than selfishly cloning my old dog...IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I would not...it would not be the same animal, just look similiar. Plus, it is not our place to play God.

Since I have some experience with clones, let me say that all you are cloning is DNA. You aren't cloning looks, personality, or intelligence. You get the same DNA material but in a different package. And from the stand point of cloning horses, you get a lot of medical issues in most.
default_unsure.png
Instead of "cloning", go to the shelter and save another life.

I had a dog that passed over 10 yrs ago that I still miss. BUT it wouldn't be her.

It would look like her, but it wouldn't be her.

I don't think you can clone a soul.

No I wouldn't clone my dog or horse. I think I would have such high expectations for the animal be it looks or personality. But when it all comes down it is not the same heart, soul, and mind.

Right now I'd say no but probably up to 2 years after I lost the little love of my life corgi I would have said yes! I know I couldn't have HIM back but I even wanted another pup with similar bloodlines and couldn't get one, so I would have loved another dog that was made from his DNA.

Now that I've come to better terms with that loss I think I'll just keep doing the rescue thing.

Latest posts

Back