Have you ever sent a deposit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNC MINIS

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has ever sent a deposit to hold a horse and the person sold the horse before the deposit got to them?

And they KNEW the deposit was on the way?
new_shocked.gif

If they were aware, and I am sure they were...BAD-BAD-BAD selling practice!! Difficult for them be thought of as an honest and square-dealer, when this type of thing is committed.
no.gif
sad.gif

Yes they knew the check was in the mail. Thier excuse is that people say that all of the time and they don't recieve the payment. So what do you do as far as getting your deposit money back.

There are people who have a policy of first to get money to them gets the horse. Personally, I would give at least 5 days to receive a deposit before i would take someone elses money. I think what happens is that alot of people have a problem of someone saying they will send a deposit and then it doesn't get sent. On the other hand, if the seller said they were going to accept your deposit and immediately took someone else's money, I wouldn' think that right. Mary

quote=CNC MINIS,Aug 30 2005, 01:43 PM]

I was wondering if anybody has ever sent a deposit to hold a horse and the person sold the horse before the deposit got to them?

457997[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
They definitely would have to give your deposit back!
yes.gif
Just ask them to. mary

CNC MINIS said:
Yes they knew the check was in the mail.  Thier excuse is that people say that all of the time and they don't recieve the payment.  So what do you do as far as getting your deposit money back.
458018[/snapback]

[SIZE=14pt]I have given people 30 days in the past to get the deposit to me. I think that is excessive but ..... These people need to refund your check AND the money it cost to stop payment if thats the route you chose. Send the check and the stop payment charge to you.... my bank charges 25 dollars to do that.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Stop the check if possible.

If they are decent people they should send your deposit back since the horse was sold.

MA

They do not need to be decent, just honest- or possibly afraid of the law!! Holding onto a deposit under these circumstances is FRAUD!!!

I haven't actually had it happen to me, but in some ways I can see their point. A lot of people DO say they're sending the money, but it never comes. I've had that happen to me. They're sending it every day, or else every day it's "I'm sending it tomorrow" and it just never comes. If I tell you tonight that I'm sending you a deposit on your horse, you can bet the money will be sent tomorrow, via the fastest method. I'm at the point where if I'm selling something & someone tells me they will buy it & are going to send the money, I outright tell them I must have payment within 14 days or else the deal is off. That way if I have another person interested, I can give them a definite date when I'll know if the horse is/isn't available to them.

If there isn't another buyer waiting & the money arrives 5 days late, then I can still complete the sale; of course if the payment does arrive late and the horse is gone, I would automatically return the check or money order. Anything else would be fraud.

To add to this, even if the check gets to me I also add a few days for that check to clear the bank. I would hate to lose a sale and then the check bounce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've had that happen to me! Made a deal to buy a stallion. Told the seller the money was going in the mail and it did. Several days later, I get an email from the seller tellng me oops, she was sorry, but her sister sold the horse to someone else. I was pretty steamed since I had been going back and forth with the 'seller' for a few days. Then of all things, a couple of months later, I get an email that the horse was up for sale by the buyer and was I interested?! Sorry, I bought somewhere else!

On the other side of the coin, I've had more than one person say they are going to buy and don't. I suppose that's just part of the business. Anytime I ever tell a seller I'm going to buy, I mean it!

Had someone tell me I want the horse you have advertived, I told them I was going to a show in their area and asked them to come to the show and see the horse as I wanted to be sure they wanted him. At show told everyone they are buying the colt. gave me a check and I was to bring him back in a month,so they could get the barn ready. Get home from show and have e-mail that they do not want horse. I have four others that wanted a chance to buy the horse. So I e-mail everyone and with in an hour have another buyer. Two weeks later e-mail from first buyer I want the horse now I did not mean the other e-mail. Ok I e-mail them to give me a time to call and say we need to talk. Talk on the phone tell them the colt is no longer for sale. Very angree will not do bussiness with me again.

What a mess.

Back