Have you ever had that ONE special foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
This year we do. I get either a phone call or an email asking about my Wylie. She is a mini mule but is SUCH a doll. She knows her name and comes when I call her. Her little (OK, maybe not so little) ears perk up and she comes to me. When I turn her out in the morning, she does a "cat rub" on my legs and wants her hugs. These that have called/emailed haven't even MET her! If they did.....
new_shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

I have a dilema though and I need some help.

There is a lady in CA that wants her BAD. This is a vet (small animal I believe) that has a 28" mini horse. She wants a small mini mule as a companion they can take for drives in their mini van and go on walks/hikes. She has told me that $$ is no object. I haven't even given her an idea of what I would want for her as I've not even considered it! She is flying out in their private plane and will take the small one home with them that way. They are set up with a crate large enough to hold a mini foal. She is coming to look at another mule foal that is 1/2 sister to Wylie (same sire, Kilroy). I told her I MIGHT consider selling her Wylie. It is easy to say when I'm not standing there looking at her. She is going to meet both and said she would choose the one that chooses her.

Would I be totally insane to pass up this opportunity just because I am so attached to Wylie? I know she would be in a good home, well taken care of, loved, doted on...... but my heart is having a really hard time with this.

HELP ME! What would you do?

This is one only you can answer. I will tell you this- I did sell that one special foal and then I spent the next five years trying to buy her back. She was bought by a lovely lady who got tired of the work, gave her to her daughter who had decided to breed "them" to make lots of money, she did not breed so she sold her to (luckily) a friend of mine who eventually bred from her (she was a late bloomer) she had rubbish foals and was put on the open market (literally) to try to make back the enormous amount of money they had spent on her- no thought for where she went whatsoever, and they could have bought and sold me ten times over and never have noticed. I had to buy her. I did, on payments, which broke me. She will die here. Every foal she has had for me is worth it's weight in gold. Money is not everything, including a safeguard of the future. She may be a lovely , rich, lady. Myself, I would rather have a dedicated pauper!!
smile.gif

We had that one born this year. Everybody that came on the property wanted her, even if they had to take out a mortgage on their house (not kidding.) I told everybody the same thing, she was NOT for sale. When she was 2 months old we lost her to an impaction, she went to sleep in my arms and she knew she was loved. Hindsight being 20/20 , would I have sold her? Nope.

Robin

JMHO Don't do it Shawna.

Thera was mine. As a weanling I traded her for another weanling. The other breeder assured me if they decided to sell her I had first refusal.

That fall I got a call from a lady that said she has just bought Thera for $3500
new_shocked.gif
, the trade value was $1800. We talked alot and I found that the seller told this lady NOT to contact the original owner so of course she did.
ohmy.gif
I did call the original person and asked why wasn't I contacted? She said I wouldn't have been able to afford her.
wacko.gif

Well, the second lady and I kept in touch, Thera was shown but wasn't a blue ribbon girl. Though they loved her dearly "This lady" honored her promise and contacted me that fall to offer Thera back to me...not at $3500 but the original $1800 value. Of course I said YES!
yes.gif

Thera has been here since. She was my first born and I NEVER should have let her go because "after all this is business"...horse poop! There is not that many "special" ones. No one could buy Thera from me. We share the same heart.

If you sell Wylie I fear you will regret it for many years to come. There is no way you could create another Wylie. Oh it may look the same but won't be HER. Just my humble opinion having been there and done that....won't do it again. I pray it works out best for you all. I just keep remembering all the times you have oozed love and adoration over this special little girl.
wub.gif

Being in "the business" of selling horses is tough! I love each and every one of mine. Some more than others. At some point I will agree to sell one of those special ones and have lived to regret it each day!

So if you are attached to your special girl, keep her! The decision of course is yours, but I wouln't sell her.

Beth

Just remember - money won't replace her !!! Just because someone wants one of your horses is no reason to sell

You should be flattered but keep her until YOU decide you WANT to sell her !

Last edited:
I just looked at your pictures and Wylie is ADORABLE! Your web page states "sorry Wylie is NOT for sale" I think you did that for a reason and should stick to it - you will kick yourself if she leaves.

You ALL are right! My gut (and heart) have been telling me the whole time I can't let her go. I know the money would help my others out some but it would be gone soon and so would my Wylie. I don't think I can let her go.

Thanks for the sanity check and the reassurances that I would be doing the "right" thing by keeping her.
wub.gif
She is a doll baby. I really think, truely, my non-horsey hubby would regret letting her go too.
wink.gif

I got lucky. THat foal that everyone wanted one year, was my foal. I had dibs on him before he was even thought of. He was so friendly though he would walk up to everyone in the field and they always asked "How much for that one?" Sorry Im not much help, but I personally wouldnt do it. If you are that attached, keep her & enjoy her. It can be hard to find that one special friend (Animal or human) that you can get real close to, and it sounds like youve found yours.

I have had those foals, and this year I have an extremely special one-- the only foal I've got of our now-deceased partnership stallion. He died after colic surgery just two days after this baby was born. I've had countless people here looking at her and "oohing" and "ahhing" over her, and people asking for her price. They look at me like I am crazy when I say she is "priceless", but to me she is. This filly will stay with me forever. Don't sell your baby if you love her like I love mine!

We just got back from our club's last show of the season, where she won BOTH of our Futurities.

Magic Mist Remember Me
f_remmy_04_f.jpg

(when my new pics are up on the website I'll post new clipped ones!)

Yes I have one every one wanted and I did decided to sell Sweets.

It has not really hit me yet, she is not weaned. So has not left the farm.
no.gif

I'll let you know how it goes on the day she is picked up.

I think I'll be a real mess. LOL

Do what your heart tells you.

But like my dauther told me, "if you keep the best one every year you'll be over run Mom... "

Now I wonder??

Would that be sooo BAD??

I'm glad you decided to keep your filly.Sounds like you are soul mates.Just tell the lady you have a special connection with this one.If she is a true animal lover she will understand.I have several Minis on this farm that I won't ever sell and my 1 very special Corgi,DUCKY, that is not available at any price.Go with your gut feelings.

Latest posts

Back