Have we reached the ceiling yet!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I went out to work with my youngsters today on lunging (a coming two year old filly and a coming three year old gelding) and ended up measuring my gelding up against my side. He ended up coming up to the bottom of my belt; and I'm 5'7". Mind you this was on level ground, he was set up, and I flattened his fur with my hand. ;)

Once I got done choring I measured up to my belt with both my measuring stick and a tape measure; and came up with the same response.

38" tall.

Well, its a good think he is eligible for AMHR papers! However....I think both parents AMHR heights are off; by quite a bit! Both parents are listed as 32" tall and after owning both parents I can tell you that they were at least 35'' tall. I just thought that was humerous.

Here's a picture of the old boy.

21721_385005804919301_1497873985_n.jpg

I have a coming three year old filly that is like a giant! Her parents were both under 33" and she's already pushing 34" and she is an april baby...
default_wacko.png
Her legs just go on and on and on.

My very first foal that I bred and raised was out of a 36" bay pinto mare and sired by a 36" buckskin stallion, I owned (and measured) both sire and dam.. This filly is my dear Savannah who measures at a whopping 39-40" tall! I crossed this pair three times, ended up with Savannah (measures 39-40"), Tucker (buckskin pinto colt) who measured 36" tall and Electra (chestnut pinto filly) who measured 34".. lol

The same parents have a 2011 filly who the last time I measured was no more than 32" tall.

He's gigantic!

We had three lovely foals this year, all sired by our 30" stallion. They were all born within 3 weeks of each other in April but definitely are now small, medium and large.

Small: 32" dam produced Snappy, expected to mature about 28-29"

Medium: 30.5" dam produced Bunny, expected to mature about 33"

Large: 34" dam had Clyde, expected to mature 36-37" but may end up a pony!!! Since he is registered Pinto he can't outgrow his papers, and he has great potential for driving, where if he isn't a VSE, he will be a pony. And if he keeps growing, I might just ride him, since I only weigh 100 pounds! He looks HUGE to me already, but the way he moves takes our breath away so we repeated this cross for next year. http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/targetsmom/?action=view&current=P1050483.mp4

We had three lovely foals this year, all sired by our 30" stallion. They were all born within 3 weeks of each other in April but definitely are now small, medium and large.

Small: 32" dam produced Snappy, expected to mature about 28-29"

Medium: 30.5" dam produced Bunny, expected to mature about 33"

Large: 34" dam had Clyde, expected to mature 36-37" but may end up a pony!!!
They are all so nice, but Clyde does move very, very nice.

They're my first foal crop out of my newest stallion, so I really don't know how they'll mature. All three are out of 38" mares, by 35.75" stallion. The older two (6 days apart) were 29.5" tall at about 3.25 months old, and the youngest was 27" at about 2.5 months old. I think I did the math and the older two should just squeak in.

Had a foal by a 31" stud and a 35" mare, I knew he would be over 34" but he apparently grew to almost 40"!

Had a friend breed two AMHA (which meant that they were under 34") and the foal came out nearly the height of the dam. He had trouble nursing. He stayed under 38" but was really wierd to see him as a foal.

Height is a guessing game I bred a 34.5" mare to a 32.5" stallion and resulting foal as an adult is 37.5".

Latest posts

Back