Have a question about after gelding a colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I gelded my colt and was wondering how after are they still wanting to breed.

He is 11 months and never bred a mare but right before I had him gelded my mare went into season and was he trying. Nothing happened and they have been separated. My mare is still showing to him 9 days later.

Would like to hear your experience and thoughts.

I would not be putting him in with her at all for at least a couple weeks until he's fully healed because if she were to kick at him while he's not healed, it would be very bad.

Thanks Mona, that is a concern of mine also. He will stay separated for awhile.

I am wondering when they quit being a horny toad LOL

That young it shouldn't take long. However--some never really quit. I have a coming tree year old that was gelded last March, at about 9-10 months--and even now he will mount mates if he is out with them. others have lost their studdy-ness after just a few weeks.

A gelded horse can still breed after he's been gelded. I cannot remember what the time frame is though as I don't usually buy colts/stallions. (Though, I do have a colt now) I wouldn't be turning him out with any mares for a few weeks to be safe.

At least 30 days, but I would say 6-8 weeks just to make sure everything is well healed and closed.

He will not have any viable sperm left after 2 weeks (no matter what anyone may tell you)--I asked my vet awhile back about that and he said 2 weeks, but they often tell their clients to keep the horse separate longer than that just to make sure they wait longer rather than putting him back with mares sooner than 2 weeks.

I have some mares that will show to my old geldings that have been geldings for 10 years or more. Most of my geldings could not care less, but one or two will get all into themselves and act like studs. I always kept the newly gelded boys away from the mares for at least 6 to 8 weeks. Not because I thought they could still get a mare pregnant but because I wanted them to be totally healed and maybe have a bit more sense before I mixed them.

I had so much trouble with two of my geldings I gave up and put them in their own field. Period. They were forever jumping the mares and getting kicked. They are all different.

If a mare is annoying enough about it, a gelding might just go ahead and 'breed' her just to get her to 'shutup about it', lol.

But yea, 30-60 days or get him tested. Do they test horses for sperm after castration or just other critters??

I finally called my vet and he said No, that he could not get my mare pregnant. When my colt was gelded my vet showed me what he removed and there was a little sac attached with sperm in it.

Marty, I am afraid that what you said might happen ! I want to keep him but with 2 other mares it may not be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is highly unlikely that a colt that was gelded at 11 months and never allowed to cover a mare will try to breed a mare in the seasons to come, especially after given several months to just chill out. You may have the occasional mounting, which even mares will do when hormonal, or establishing dominance. I am not saying it never happens, but I am saying that the initial breeding of young studs is a hormone driven rage, sometime taking some skill and practice to master the art so to speak. The driving hormones have been removed, and he never was allowed to get into a routine of " here are your mares, now you can cover them" so the habit of associating mares with breeding was not formed. I think he will be fine.

Even when my 15+ year old stud who covered mares for years was gelded, he calmed down immediately, and all drive/ habit ceased after that spring.

Don't let my comment scare you too much. I live in Tennessee, go figure
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

Marty - your comment didn't scare me, I had already thought about the fact that he may always want the girls. Thanks Carolyn R !

I have my vet coming out tomorrow to check him over and make sure he is healing ok. It's only been a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back