Hauling minis in full size trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
I'll be hauling two minis home for a friend this coming weekend. She purchased two geldings from two separate farms and we're traveling a few hours to go pick them up. I have a Logan 2 horse slant load with a partial divider that doesn't go all the way to the floor and my tie rings are quite high inside. What's the safest way to haul them? Pull the divider out and haul them loose together or ??? Since it will be an all day trip I'd prefer to get both of them in one load if possible.

I don't know if you have wood on your walls or not, but if you do, I would pull the devider, screw a length of two by four at the center point om the left ant right walls, cut a piece of plywood to fit across, and devide the trailer front and back rather than a left and right side. Gives two small stalls, space to turn around and keeps two unfamiliar horses from getting stressed on the trip. Just bring a cordless drill to screw the plywood in place after the first horse is loaded. If you have a side door, that makes things much easier to check in on, water and hay the horse in the front. The plywood and two by fours are easily removed when your done. I would use 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, nothing thinner than that.

While Carolyn's answer would be certain to keep them safe, that's a heck of alot of work to haul a couple horses for a friend. I'd just pull the dividers and leave them loose as well, unless you can devise an EASY way to extend the dividers down so they can't get under them.

I would pull the divider but I never haul horses loose in a trailer. I know two people that had horrible accidents due to this- one a fatality.

I have matted walls and I think the plywood idea is a good one but won't work for me, I really don't want to modify my trailer that much for a one time trip for a friend. I can pull the divider out but what's the best way to tie with such high tie rings? I have the safety trailer ties that release in an emergency but they are for full sized horses so there's no way they'll reach for minis.

I have a two horse straight load Circle J trailer with divider, we just attached a piece of plywood to the divider to extend it to the floor (its just wired to the divider out of reach of the minis), then added extensions to the tie straps so they'd be long enough for the minis. I've hauled loose and I've hauled with them tied to the extended straps, didn't notice a difference. I've hauled 300+ miles this way and had no problems with any I've hauled.

We hung a rubber stall mat (holes drilled through it) with zip ties around the slant divider to make it go to the floor and that has worked well for our horses. Possibly some could push it over and get under but ours have not.

We haul ours in a big horse trailer all the time, even for days at a time to get to Nationals, but, we have modified it to have ply wood go all the way to the floor, so I can turn them loose at night so they have acces to hay and water. Heres what I do in you instance, use really long big horse leads and slip tie them, one on either side and leave well enough alone with the divider. As long as you tie in such away that they can't get legs caught they should be OK, but since the horses aren't acclimated to each other I wouldn't risk them riding loose together, so if you take the divider out I would tie so they can't get in a battle.

well...this works for big horses...but I haul in open stock horses all the time, no dividers, just everybody slanted in or side by side (depending on how they fit best) Sometimes I tie sometimes I don't, it just depends on how I'm stacking them in there, and their personalities. If you tie one, tie them all.

IF you do leave them loose (and only if you leave them loose) and they start fussing in the trailer there's a way to get them to stop pretty quickly...I do it to break in my horses to trailer especially if they're 'pushy' or like to act silly like most young horses do the first few times (get a big draft moving too much and watch how much your trailer sways!) You may not feel it as much with a mini (if at all) but if you have a trailer cam you can watch for the right moment or if in doubt just do it anyway. They'll learn quickly to balance and stay standing square.

When they get to kicking or moving too much I tap my brakes, hard! As long as it's SAFE!!!!! (I mean don't do this on a gravel road or in a turn and force yourself to fish tail!) you can pretty much hit them as often as you want, but do it in proportion to the speed you're traveling, please don't go cause yourself to jackknife. But the point is to jar those horses up a bit, make them realize that the important thing is to keep their footing. Silly shenanigans are not put up with in the trailer. It's too dangerous.

Again, only if they're loose, you don't want them to fall when tied (edited to add...BTW they rarely fall when they're not tied, it's when they can't use their neck that they might fall.) It's risky either way because these horses won't know each other and you're confining them to a tight space but if you make them worry about their feet instead of each other it may go more smoothly.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hauled two sets of miniatures in a two horse trailer and yes I hauled them loose. As long as there is no stallion involved for a one time use I think this is fine.

I have since had my husband build dividers to haul three miniatures comfortably in my two (big) horse trailer since we will be heading off to some shows next month. We made them out of wood and they look and work great. We installed tie rings at an appropriate height for them.

Only problem, two of them (the outside two) decided to "hold on with their teeth", there was a pile of wood shavings in each stall. The middle horse must of caused them to "hold on" cuz his stall was pristine! (At least I am blaming him.) It was only a two hour trip (each way) and next time I will equip them all with a nibbler type hay net so they can "hold onto" something else. I will also apply some soap to the dividers to discourage them from continuing with that behavior. None of them have ever chewed on their stalls or anything previously or since. Seriously I am a very careful driver, I have had to ride in a trailer with a sick horse a time or two in the past and I know what it is to try to maintain balance back there. I am sure they did it out of boredom.

I also determined that one horse won't pee while the trailer is moving and gets really upset. We drove the first 30 miles and stopped to check on them and he was bouncing up and down like something was wrong. All of a sudden he realized he could go pee and then the bouncing stopped.

So I would say, bed the trailer and haul them loose.

If they are geldings, I would just tie them in as normal and go- I doubt they will fuss that much when in a moving trailer

I for one would not make a partition that has to be screwed into place once the front horse is loaded. Accidents happen, and in case of accident....or vehicle fire...I want to be able to unload the horses as quickly as possible. "quick" does not involve getting a cordless screwdriver and removing screws/partition in order to get one horse out!

I would haul them loose--not good for them to get under the divider--is there any way to attach a board to extend the divider all the way to the floor? That's what I would try to do--if they don't know each other one could get kicked or chewed up if they decide to fight or if one bullies the other.

Just from our personal experience of hauling over 20 years, and under your situation, if I were in your situation, I'd pull out the dividers and haul them loose with bedding and hay on the floor.

Either tie a water bucket that sits on the flooring or offer them water every couple of hours.

The water bucket is always a sticky wicket because you don't want them to get caught up in it.

I've only been trailering my horses for two years, but based on advise I rec'd here, I haul my girls to our club shows in a 19ft stock trailer with a center divider. I haul two girls at a time, loose, in the back section. Where our club shows are held is a solid 2 hour trip one way from my home and we come/go the same day, so they're in their for a total of 4 hours each show day (5x a year). This has worked well for us.

ETA: The only thing that I would be concerned about hauling them loose is that I believe you said these two horses don't know each other. My girls are well adjusted to each other so I don't worry about them loose together. Two strange horses? That's something I'd have to consider having a way to separate them for the trip if for no other reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haul my minis loose in my trailers because I'm using a stock trailer or a 2 horse straight load and the ties are way up there. I'd rather have one go down loose than tied, especially tied that high up.

I would think with 2 geldings you'd be fine. They'll be more worried about standing up in a trailer and being in a new place than they will about bickering with each other.

We haul our Minis with the rubber stall mat as well. It's attached to the divider with heavy duty zip ties. It's safe, easy and can be removed if necessary. You can still haul big horses with it as well. I always tie my horses while traveling. Big or little. We, one time, bought 2 ponies and the seller wasn't sure how well they tied and said she usually hauled them loose. Against my better judgement, we did. They were bouncing around quite a bit and one had a minor scratch. The worse part, was when we finally got to our house, it was late evening, almost dark. While trying to get these 2 ponies out of the trailer without losing them was tough. One got really scared and actually kicked me in the process. It wasn't her fault, she was scared and in a new place and it was dark. She wasn't a kicker, but hadn't been hauled much, obviously. So, my point is....trying to get them caught and not letting them jump out, etc....is something to think about. Not a big deal if they've been handled a bunch and it's not dark.

I take my mini in a full sized trailer i just tie her to a loop of bale twine which is tied to the big horse tie so it hangs lower and a bale of hay under the divider stops her going under if you dont want them to eat the hay just put a horse cover over it

Latest posts

Back