Hauling mini in van

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorngal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really love to get my kids started showing our little mini gelding this year. We don't have a truck and trailer right now though. I have hauled everything from goats to my two minis (not both at the same time) and had no problems. My husband is a worry wart though and is afraid if I get in a wreck the horse would go flying. I have to admit that's a legitimate concern! Does anyone have any particular method for safer hauling of mini's in a, sorry to say it, minivan :bgrin ?

Thanks,

Cara

We have a 15 passenger van. Your husband is correct it is VERY dangerous to all to not have them secured in some fashion.

I built 3 dividers in our van along with a ramp works great. If I had more money I could have and would have built it a bit different instead of making due with what I had laying around though.

We have a safety barrier secured with rubber tie-downs (the black rubber ones with S hooks on each end). Not perfect, but it's very strong.

For now we use our Windstar mini van, but plan to buy a full-sized cargo van, in which we'll install dividers and a permanent safety barrier.

I would also suggest cattle panels, fencing or heavy duty hardware cloth over the windows, just in case of a kick.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Wicaanz...I couldn't get the thread to come up...maybe I could search by topic name? I would like to see it..

Susanne...We have a Windstar too. What we have done in the past is remove the bucket seats in the middle and put the bench seat there with him behind that. Are you removing all your seats (in the back) for the safety barrier? Is it made out of wood? I know the black tie downs you're talking about but if you could tell me a little more about the barrier.

Cara

Latest posts

Back