Hats for halter class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell

Reaction score
I know you wear a hat for showmanship classes but i am wondering do you see women wearing hats in AMHA halter classes? I can't recall if i have seen the gals wearing hats or not, men yes. Can you take it off to get your horse to set their ears without being overlooked by the judge?

I've never seen a woman wear a hat in halter (been in the business over 25 years) . You certainly can if you choose, but one thing to keep in mind is if take it off to "bait", what will your hair look like?? Most men don't have that issue, and actually very few men wear hats in halter either.

I've never seen a woman wear a hat in halter (been in the business over 25 years) . You certainly can if you choose, but one thing to keep in mind is if take it off to "bait", what will your hair look like?? Most men don't have that issue, and actually very few men wear hats in halter either.
Hmmm.... You make a good point. I usually wear a hat, but I didn't even think about how my hair looked. Ahh!!! I guess I won't be wearing a hat anymore.

I personally use my hat in the halter classes and my young gelding responds to it VERY well! But I do agree with ruffian, I now wonder what my hair looks like when I take my hat off! hahaha
default_smile.png

That is a good question. Makes me want to use a LOT of hairspray. Just smile, have fun, and hope the spectators are looking at your beautiful horse... and not at your hair
default_whistling.gif
. I mean technically a halter class is judged entirely on the horse....so who cares what it looks like.

I personally have always worn a hat whenever I show, whatever I'm showing in. I come from a QH background, so I partially blame it on that ;) It just comes down to what you feel best in and your personal preference. Although I will add, I have never once had a judge make a negative comment on my choice to wear a hat. I think it honestly can make you stand out in a crowded arena of horses, if the rest of your outfit is clean and well fitting as well. I don't use my hat when I'm showing though, as I think it can be a possible distraction to a judge since it's a pretty large object. I'll attach a picture or two of me showing with the hat on.

0835006b-97c6-4410-9adf-aec0c11155aa_zps65336743.jpg

I am just getting started with minis, so I don't feel my thoughts aren't as useful as those who have experience, but I will be wearing a hat when I start showing. I will not be using it to get ears - I'll have to think of something else for that! My hat hair is epic, lol.

I also come from a QH background, and I am sure that has a lot to do with my reasoning because it is such an important piece of apparel when showing QH's. In fact, if you asked 50 QH judges what can instantly make or break their first opinion (about exhibitor only, NOT the horse), I am willing to bet 85-90% would say "a cheap or ill-fitting hat. (It's just "a QH thing.")

I realize I am not showing QH any more and will need to keep that in mind, but I don't think going hatless is something I could get accustomed to! I will also say (hope this does not sound rude) that some of the hair I have seen on mini exhibitors might make wearing a hat a better choice. I know it is in my particular case. I just don't have good hair.
default_sad.png

RelentlessMinis, you look very lovely and professional and congrats on your successes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not see any women wearing hats in the halter class i was in, i didn't wear mine. Some of the guys wore hats and some didn't so i guess there is no right or wrong about it in halter. Whatever is comfortable, i like the hats though.

I've been showing on the AMHR circuit since 1993 - and have often seen hats in the regular halter classes. I've done it a couple of times....and they work great to take off to get your horse's attention without a lot of snapping, crackling or popping of plastic wrap etc. And if you know me, you know I don't give a rat's behind how my hair looks.

Latest posts

Back