Has anyone used Excede antibiotic?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean_B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using Excede antibiotic? I haven't needed to put a horse on any meds for a number of years, and my vet gave me this. He thought just one injection im would do it, but said if no improvement in 4 days to get another and give it to her. It's been 4 days and no real change. Any success out there with this? THANKS

I have not used it, but went out and looked, and it says: Horses usually receive 2 doses, 4 days apart, at the rate of 1.5 ml per 100 lbs body weight, given by intramuscular (IM) injection. So, it sounds like a second dose is part of the normal treatment regimen.

Hoping your horse improves quickly.

Frequently in cattle. However, if given to a cow intramuscularly death follows extremely quickly (<10 mins, its deadly if it gets in a cow's bloodstream) - we put it in the cartiledge of their ear. Horses must be different, will have to look at the bottle tomorrow! Learn something new every day.

I like excede, however, find it obscenely overpriced. Excenel is the same antibiotic, but WAY cheaper. It needs to be given daily though. Excede is pretty much just slow release ceftiofur. In cattle, excede also has a 28 day beef withhold, while excenel (another ceftiofur, not sure if it can be used on equines though) is only 4 days. It works very well in our cattle because its a 'dose and forget' kind of drug. Keeps her from getting stressed during restraint and keeps us from having to poke her daily. I've used it with success for everything from foot rot, metritis, as a preventative to a lady that pulled most of the skin off the front of her hock, to pneumonia. It's a VERY strong 'wonder drug.'

I find it funny your vet would jump to such a potent anitbiotic right away. If you don't mind me asking, what is it for?

Possibly an infected tooth...she's a little swollen over the right side of bridge of nose and snotty on just the one side. It's not smelly like an infected gutteral pouch, though. And he said it would cost around $700 to $800 to sedate and remove a top tooth. Which totally blew me away and I refuse to pay that much. Wishing the dentists I know weren't so far away!! Would cost a whole heck of lot less and be a lot more 'productive'. None of the vets in this area have the first idea of equine teeth, and then want to charge that kind of $$??

Woof. Thats A LOT.

Yeah, totally agree with the use of excede there! If the excede doesn't do it though, Im not sure if anything will. I would go ahead and give the second dose, but give it about a full week to week and a half from the first dose to determine if it 'worked' or not. Thats a nasty area to be infected! Poor darling, hope she feels better!

Have used Excede with great results for respiratory infections, absolutely would use it again.

I routinely use Excede in horses. It's ease of administration and broad spectrum efficacy make it a good choice in many situations.

Dr. Taylor

We had a full size gelding have a top tooth abcess just this past spring, when it got loose the vet pulled it out and put him on tucaprim for two weeks, it worked very well.

Was hoping Dr. Matt would reply....I figured if anyone would know, you would! I like the fact that it's just a couple of shots rather than wrestling with a mare that can be a real pill (pun intended) twice a day for 10 days of tucaprim or tribrissen. Give my best to your folks, and wish them a belated Merry Christmas for me!

Our vet prescribed it for an infected tooth, and it worked incredibly well. You may need to give probiotics or Digestion 9-1-1 afterward, as it can upset their digestive systems.

Latest posts

Back