Has anyone seen a mini cart like this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin gal

Reaction score
A new mini acquaintance had mentioned a while back that she had bought an unusual mini cart and wanted to know if we could make one like it for a friend of hers. She brought it over yesterday for our son to take measurements from it and I thought it was so cute that maybe I will have to have him make one for me also! They use it a lot for the program they have working with kids and also for parades. What do you all think of it?

IMG_1429.jpg

I would love to have one of those! I started to write that while your son is making them, just make one for me, too...until I looked and saw that you are in Montana! Georgia to Montana might be a little too far to drive to pick up a cart!
default_wink.png

That looks to me like a Buggy Bob's carriage or maybe an IteBty. With that particular model I would worry about tipping over. With a full cut-under and maybe a slightly wider wheelbase (and minus the canopy) it would be just what I want!

-Amy

I'd bet it's NOT an IteBte;it doesn't look anything like any of his I've seen. In my opinion, someone has used the Frontier and other such EE(Easy Entry) "Pipe" carts as a 'starting point' for construction ideas, and built a kind of EE 'surrey with the fringe on top".As far as I can see in the photo, it is not a vehicle I would choose; it appears overall heavy,possibly top-heavy, and too narrow in the wheel base. Without a cut-under, the previous poster is correct, it is likely to be VERY likely to tip over in a turn. It is not likely to be very manueverable at all, I'd fear. A vital feature would be a 'fifth wheel' type of front axle attachment; I can't tell from the photo, but it doesn't appear to have one? Not sure if they are still making them, but some years ago, some folks in the midwest started building really CUTE and authentic looking 'covered wagons'...I was very 'taken' with them, until I learned more, AND had the chance to see one driven at AMHA Nationals one year(not in competition, but in an 'exhibition' drive), and realized that if you turned in too tight a radius, you'd be in trouble with such a vehicle....there is MORE to building a proper (and relatively SAFE!) driving vehicle than many people realize! You *might* be fine with such a vehicle to drive down a straight and level street at a slow pace(as in parades), I suppose.

(I have a 'fun' vehicle, mostly for parades and the like, and I do love it. It is a wooden 'buckboard'( though not fully authentic in design, as the true 'buckboard' had 4 large wheels of equal size, and NO cut-under, but set on very LONG axles, for a very wide and stable wheelbase, and the ability to turn, albeit in a LARGE circle!!) -BUT, it does have both a front BRAKE(only a manual one, but important on a 4 wheeled carriage), AND the front wheels on their axle can 'rotate' under the front all the way to the reach. It is not a 'full cut under' but does have a wide wheel base, for stability-and a 'fifth wheel' type(I know there is a better term when it's not a "full" fifth wheel, but I can't recall it at the moment!)of pole arrangement.

Margo

I would love one of those carts. I would think it would turn tighter if it was undercut at the front wheels. I would also love the top on it. I think I saw that it had shafts for a single horse ( in the shadows). I would like it to be changable from shafts to team pole. I think I would use something like that to go to the grocery store.

Yes, we too thought it should have the fifth wheel and he will be making it that way. Actually the base is quite wide but picture makes it look narrower. Curt likes to improve on anything that he makes and I know he will do what ever to make it so it is safe. They aren't a vehicle I would use for much other than what the gals are using them for....going down the road for fun, parties and around the ring. I think it would be great for parades which we do a lot of and I like the top because I need protection from the sun. Thanks for all the comments and pointing out much the same things as we seen. This buggy was made in Oregon according to a tag we found on it but the person is no longer in business of making horse buggies. Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty. I've never seen one just like it. I can't tell real well from the picture, but I'm assuming it has a team pole???
They have been using it as a single with the taller well built minis. I was amazed that it is as light as it is....pulls very easily. One of the gals gave me a ride on it and she is pretty tiny.

There were a bunch of these at the carriage sale near Shipshewana, IN this spring (or was it summer......can't remember). I don't know who makes them, but they had them in lots of sizes.

Could someone please explain "cut under" to me? I thought that it meant that open space (under the front seat of this buggy) where the front wheels can turn underneath the body of the buggy.

Peggy-

Your idea is correct, and actually, that buggy does have a kind of 'cut under'; what it means is that the body( of a 4 wheeled vehicle) has some sort of 'cut out'-usually looks like an upside down, square-cornered, "U", that is usually located about under the driver's seat. It occurs in combination with some sort of 'fifth wheel' arrangement which allows the front axle to rotate(there would be no use to it if this weren't the case!)further than it otherwise could. I can't tell from the photo if the 'surrey' under discussion here has that or not? It is possible that because the design of this vehicle appears to be basically taken from that of the EE pipe carts, that it has a 'cut under' only because it is basically, two EE carts placed together-but if it does have a 'fifth wheel'of some sort, then of course, it would be more manueverable and the design would actually SERVE AS a cut-under, and not just 'appear to be' one...

Nowadays, there are all SORTS of 'fancy' innovations, such as delayed steering, extendable axles, etc. on MARATHON vehicles for CDE competition and the like; however, such things aren't yet widely(if at all; I haven't seen evidence of any, at least) available in miniature horse size, so no need to be considered in this post--So,speaking of more 'basic' horse drawn vehicles, then---the most manueuverable 4 wheeled vehicles (meaning basically, that they can make the TIGHTEST turns !)generally are those WITH a fifth wheel front axle arrangement, AND, WITHOUT a 'reach'-which is basically, a connection straight down the middle of the undercarriage that joins the back axle to the front one. A reach would 'strengthen' the overall integrity of the undercarriage, BUT, it also can limit how far the front axle can rotate, and thus, the maneuverability of the vehicle-whether the vehicle is cut under or not! It is part of correct design for any vehicle with a reach, or where in a turn, the wheels would contact either the body of the vehicle OR the reach, to have 'rollers' mounted on the reach/vehicle body at the points of contact, for safety, so that the wheel would not be 'braked' by such contact-which would be DANGEROUS and cause a wreck/turnover!

My most manueverable 4 wheeled vehicle is my Glinkowski mini marathon vehicle--not surprisingly, as it has no reach,is cut under, and has a fifth wheel. Both of my others have a reach(both with rollers at the wheel contact points)-the one w/ a cut under,and much larger wheels, rolls more easily, and has a better turn radius, than the one( a little buckboard, which I LOVE for parades and the like!) w/ small front wheels that can pass UNDER the wagon box--but NEITHER of them would be a suitable vehicle for marathon driving.

As you can see, there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye!
default_wink.png
Some years ago, I saw and LOVED the look of, a mini 'covered wagon' being built by some folks in the midwest, at AMHA Nationals....however, when I saw it 'in person, I could see(and as was pointed out to me as I stopped him and discussed the vehicle,by the longtime driver and AMHA judge who was driving it around for an little exhibition), it was NOT a practical nor particularly safe vehicle, because it had almost NO turn radius, and would have toppled over if taken at any speed into any sort of tight turn....

Sorry-I've been verbose as usual--but hope this answers your inquiry and gives a bit better understanding of the cut under and how it works!

Margo

This buggy does have a fifth wheel but Curt is going to design the one he makes to be even better as he did on another buggy he made for me.

More like this one but it will not have springs like this one so it will sit lower to the ground. He does have some good ideas and everyone has really been please with what he has made...he just doesn't have time to do as many as requested. I don't know much about the terms on a cart...just know if one rides well or not. Margo knows what she is talking about.

May14-06good.jpg

In my understanding, a full fifth-wheel buggy or wagon has front wheels that can pivot without hitting anything on the vehicle or under it. A cut-under is where the body of the vehichle is shaped so that the wheels can turn part way under the vehicle, but will eventually hit part of the vehicle, either the body or a support that runs under the vehicle.

Here are some examples (taken from the Justin Carriage Works site):

Regular - (not cut-under, not fifth-wheel)

Ranch Wagon

Surry

Cut-under -

Surry

Omnibus

Fifth-wheel -

Hitch Wagon

Vis-a-vis

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back