Has anyone heard of this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaminmini

Reaction score
I recently bought a mini gelding and he is just turned 3 years old. I should have checked his bite (I was told to do this) but got caught up in the excitement and trying to remember everything I forgot. :DOH! Later at home I remembered and e-mailed the owner and asked. She replied that his bite was perfect. Note to self..."Always check teeth!"

Upon arriving at his trainers place she was checking him out and discovered that he has 3 retained baby teeth.
default_new_shocked.gif
The one on the bottom is also throwing off some teeth on his left side. We had the vet out to remove the baby(deciduous teeth) but upon further inspection the vet could not pull the teeth as he could not tell which are the permanent and which are the deciduous. Both were very solidly in his mouth. Apparently usually the baby teeth are somewhat loose so easier to tell. This is now going to require Xrays to help determine which teeth are which and what possibly might be happening in there and quite possibly we are looking at surgery to correct it.
default_wacko.png
At the moment his molars are fine and there is no wolf teeth present.

Has anyone heard or had any experience with this? My worry now is that he still has more adult teeth to come in and worry that it will happen with all the other teeth.The other dilemma is that we shouldn't wait too long before we do something but I'm concerned that it may happen again and he will be forced to have more surgeries.

Any thoughts, experiences or knowledge would be thankfully accepted.
default_smile.png

I have a stallion with retained baby teeth. They do not bother him or mess up his bite and I have had two different equine dentist tell me to just leave them alone rather than get into trying to remove them.

I had a five year old stallion with a retained baby tooth. It was a top front incisor, so made his bite look awful.

I had my vet come and remove it.

Andrea

In one of my horses previously, he had retained baby teeth as a 5yo. When the vet gelded him (at 5yo), he pulled the baby teeth. I didn't actually know he had retained baby teeth, just that his once perfect bite had gone all wierd. Poor "Derby" had issues at both ends that day! His bite moved back to "perfect" over a period of about 6wks (re-adjusted to right on).

I would suggest you contact Carl Mitz, he is the best in the business and has a lot more experience than the Vets. do with dealing with Mini teeth. He should be able to advise you of who to use or maybe he will be in your area some time in the future.

In one of my horses previously, he had retained baby teeth as a 5yo. When the vet gelded him (at 5yo), he pulled the baby teeth. I didn't actually know he had retained baby teeth, just that his once perfect bite had gone all wierd. Poor "Derby" had issues at both ends that day! His bite moved back to "perfect" over a period of about 6wks (re-adjusted to right on).

It's good to know that hopefully his teeth will realign....I was starting to wonder if he would need braces
default_smile.png
If you don't mind me asking how many did he retain? You can PM me if you'd rather. Thanks.

I would suggest you contact Carl Mitz, he is the best in the business and has a lot more experience than the Vets. do with dealing with Mini teeth. He should be able to advise you of who to use or maybe he will be in your area some time in the future.
Thanks. Since I am quite new to minis, I have not yet heard of Carl Mitz. Do you know of a way to contact him or know where I can look him up? I haven't been able to find too much info on the web about retained baby teeth. Knowledge and guidance would be thankfully received. If you have an email or phone number can you PM it to me. Thanks so much.

Thanks to everyone who shared. It's better knowing I'm not the only one that has had this. It also sounds like it might not be as bad as I was imagining. What a way to get started in minis. :DOH! At least I hope not
default_smile.png

For the guys that had their teeth removed ...was it done at home or at a surgery? How long was their recovery period and did you have any special instructions or risks to watch for afterward? Thanks again everyone!
default_smile.png

BTW, his pics are over on the photo board under "our new mini" if anyone is interested.
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

Our retained teeth were found during normal teeth exams and removed at our ranch.

Typically they sedate them before removing.

Yes, we use Carl here too and I have seen other Minis on farms with occasional retained baby teeth. This is why we have an annual checkup here on all horses on the farm - to avoid situations like this and possible future bite problems or health issues. I would have them removed by someone knowledgable in the field.

It's good to know that hopefully his teeth will realign....I was starting to wonder if he would need braces
default_smile.png
If you don't mind me asking how many did he retain? You can PM me if you'd rather. Thanks.
I think that he had retained two baby teeth, but it's been about 3 years ago, and I don't recall 100% exactly. He's a gelding now (one of my favorites) so won't be passing it along or anything I wanted to keep secret
default_biggrin.png
He did sire one colt for me, who is also now one of my geldings, and his bite has always been good
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back